    Has any XPx64 user on this forum gotten any kind of info sent to them from
    MS telling them how they are to take advantage of this upgrade offer? If
    so, how'd you get it? Via email? Postal service?

    DP, Dec 19, 2006

  2. DP

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I doubt you'll be able to until Vista becomes available to the general
    public on January 30. Then, you just order an upgrade version.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Dec 20, 2006

  3. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    As Aaron said, but be prepared to have to install it onto a second partition
    and do a juggling act to get the computer set up practically. XP X64
    license will be invalid, but you will have a partition left with it
    installed, probably with your boot files on it.

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2006
  4. DP

    Theo Guest

    Why would you want to juggle things around? Why not just
    delete the current x64 installation and install a fresh
    Vista x64 in its place?

    Theo, Dec 20, 2006
  5. DP

    DP Guest

    There is no upgrade path directly from x64 to Vista, so there is no upgrade
    version of Vista compatible with x64.
    What we have been told is that we will have to buy a full version, but will
    be eligible for "upgrade pricing." Just wondering how that works.
    Whether we'll be sent a coupon, an email, a special site to buy this from,
    etc.
    Basically, I just wanted to make sure no other XP x64 users had already
    gotten something I hadn't gotten, hence my question here.

    DP, Dec 20, 2006
  6. DP

    Theo Guest

    I guess your posting seems a bit odd. If Vista is not
    available until Jan 30, 2007, then how would anyone obtain
    an "upgrade" without you knowing about it.

    When the upgrade is available, you can be sure the
    information will be disseminated, it won't be a secret!

    Theo, Dec 20, 2006
  7. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Upgrade pricing for Vista 64 requires that it be clean installed from the XP
    X-64 desktop. The last time it was posted by Darrell Gorter (MSFT). I
    haven't seen any changes posted.

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2006
  8. DP

    Theo Guest

    I am familiar with that but in another Vista group it was
    posted that even though the upgrade was initiated from an
    active installation you have the option to delete the
    current OS (Win XP - appropriate version) and do a clean
    install in the partition you just started from.

    Theo, Dec 20, 2006
  9. DP

    HDFatBoy2003 Guest

    If you run the install from the XP x64 desktop as a clean install Vista64
    will just take the XP x64 directory and move it to windows.old. Then you
    can delete this directory through the disk cleanup facility.

    HDFatBoy2003, Dec 20, 2006
  10. Correct, except there is no clean install option in Vista. It is a Custom
    install.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2006
  11. DP

    DP Guest

    "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >I guess your posting seems a bit odd. If Vista is not available until Jan
    >30, 2007, then how would anyone obtain an "upgrade" without you knowing
    >about it.
    >
    > When the upgrade is available, you can be sure the information will be
    > disseminated, it won't be a secret!

    One of the upgrade ooptions from X64 is the business version, which is out
    now, which is why I asked now.
    Does my question still seem "odd" now?

    DP, Dec 20, 2006
  12. DP

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    If you have a licensing deal with Microsoft (the only way to get Vista now
    AFAIK), then the option should be available to you through those channels.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Dec 20, 2006
  13. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Good to hear, since that is not what Darrell said originally.

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2006
  14. DP

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Dennis:
    I purchased Vista Business with S/A which was upgraded to
    Enterprise. Installing Vista Enterprise x64 on this computer with XP x64
    installed there was no upgrade installation option only custom either
    running from within the x64 operating system or booting from the DVD. Also
    with RC1 or RC2 Ultimate installed there is no upgrade path because
    Enterprise is different than Ultimate. The Vista upgrade version PK haven't
    been released yet, probably January 30, 2007 or later, so that makes
    information speculative at this time. Have a great holiday.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Vista x64 Enterprise

    Dennis Pack, Dec 20, 2006
  15. DP

    HDFatBoy2003 Guest

    True, whether you boot from the DVD or begin the install from within XP X64
    (at least during Beta 2/RC 1/RC 2) Custom = Clean. There is no real upgrade
    of the installed OS available.

    Bottom line, when you "upgrade" XP x64 you are actually performing a
    clean\custom install. If you don't format the hard drive then you're left
    with the windows.old folder if you format then you don't have the
    windows.old folder.

    HDFatBoy2003, Dec 20, 2006
  16. Unfortunately Custom does not equal clean if you assume as many do that
    clean means a reformat of the hard drive. Custom does not do that. Worse,
    I found an offbeat Custom installation scenario in which the system files
    were rolled up into windows.old but the old program files folder structure
    was left intact with all the programs in place (but not installed). Almost
    anything is possible. Caution is the watchword here.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2006
  17. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    This is the reply that I was referring to in the earlier post. Guess this
    has been superseded.

    Hello John,
    I don't think so I haven't tried that scenario, you will not be able to
    remove the underlying OS from the volume(either the boot or the system
    volume), clean install would need to be to another volume. If the boot and
    system partitions were different you may be able to remove the boot
    partition( the one that contains \windows), but you wouldn't be able to
    remove the "system" partition ( the one containing the boot files) since
    the Windows Vista temp files are located on that volume and you can't
    remove the temp files out from under setup.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2006
  18. No, that is consistent with what I have seen so far. A Custom install to a
    second drive would be to a system disk but not the boot disk, so there are
    issues some folks would prefer not to have. There appear to be challenges
    in some upgrade scenarios, like migrating from Windows 2000 in a single
    drive system using an Upgrade Edition product key. It will be interesting
    to see how that is handled. I await Jan 30 and the answers to these kinds
    of setups with interest.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 21, 2006
  19. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm confused. Above you agreed that someone could just replace their XP
    volume from within that volume and everything would be okay. XP would just
    be folded into .old files and the Vista install would just replace it.
    Most posters are going to have 1 XP system (86 or 64) on the first
    partition of the 0 drive.

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2006
  20. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    The qualifying OS would be the boot volume (partition) since the boot
    volume is the volume of the active OS. It may or may not be the system
    volume depending on priority of the drive and whether the volume is active.

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2006