Upgrade price wars: Vista vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Sep 10, 2006

  2. Au79

    Ron Martell Guest

    Au79 <> wrote:

    >Desktop Linux - USA
    >
    >... Do you put on Vista or a Linux that comes with business support like
    >SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) 10.
    >
    ><http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3179571720.html>

    And this is a product that has gone through 10 full version changes,
    plus any number of sub-versions, since 1994.

    That is not exactly a track record of stability and consistency.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Sep 10, 2006

  3. Au79

    JPB Guest

    Ron Martell wrote:

    > Au79 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Desktop Linux - USA
    >>
    >>... Do you put on Vista or a Linux that comes with business support like
    >>SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) 10.
    >>
    >><http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3179571720.html>

    > And this is a product that has gone through 10 full version changes,
    > plus any number of sub-versions, since 1994.
    >
    > That is not exactly a track record of stability and consistency.
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    WTF? Version numbering scheme of a piece of software infers anything at all
    about stability or consistency?

    It's just a numbering convention for $Deity's sake, different software uses
    different schemes and what a major/minor version number actually means
    depends on what you're talking about.

    Ubuntu's year/month version numbering is totally different, and doesn't tell
    you anything meaningful about stability or consistency either. Maybe we'd
    understand Windows versions better if there was convention we could
    understand, rather than a mix of names, service pack levels, and assorted
    patches?

    --
    JPB

    JPB, Sep 10, 2006
  4. This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Sun, 10 Sep 2006
    11:16:48 +0100, JPB wrote:

    > Ron Martell wrote:
    >
    >> Au79 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Desktop Linux - USA
    >>>
    >>>... Do you put on Vista or a Linux that comes with business support like
    >>>SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) 10.
    >>>
    >>><http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3179571720.html>

    >> And this is a product that has gone through 10 full version changes,
    >> plus any number of sub-versions, since 1994.
    >>
    >> That is not exactly a track record of stability and consistency.
    >>
    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    > WTF? Version numbering scheme of a piece of software infers anything at
    > all about stability or consistency?
    >
    > It's just a numbering convention for $Deity's sake, different software
    > uses different schemes and what a major/minor version number actually
    > means depends on what you're talking about.
    >
    > Ubuntu's year/month version numbering is totally different, and doesn't
    > tell you anything meaningful about stability or consistency either. Maybe
    > we'd understand Windows versions better if there was convention we could
    > understand, rather than a mix of names, service pack levels, and assorted
    > patches?

    Martell may know quite a bit about Windows, but he has proved time & again
    that he know sweet FA about linux. Unless he's just trying to spread FUD,
    which is what some M$ schills do.

    --
    Linux is not a desktop OS for people
    whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".

    William Poaster, Sep 10, 2006
  5. Au79

    Ron Martell Guest

    JPB <> wrote:

    >WTF? Version numbering scheme of a piece of software infers anything at all
    >about stability or consistency?
    >
    >It's just a numbering convention for $Deity's sake, different software uses
    >different schemes and what a major/minor version number actually means
    >depends on what you're talking about.

    So when I see references to different version numbers of SLED/SUSE
    such as 1.0 (1994), 4.2 (1996), 8.2 (2003), 10.0 (2005), 10.1 (2006)
    and 10.2 (in Alpha test) it is unfair and unreasonable to assume that
    there is any logical structure or consistency to their version number
    and therefore their next release, after 10.2, could be expected to be
    number 3 or 7 or 29 or 8417.582 or whatever.

    >Ubuntu's year/month version numbering is totally different, and doesn't tell
    >you anything meaningful about stability or consistency either. Maybe we'd
    >understand Windows versions better if there was convention we could
    >understand, rather than a mix of names, service pack levels, and assorted
    >patches?

    Change the subject, point a finger at someone else, anything to
    distract from the shortcomings of the product you advocate.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Sep 11, 2006