    bit OS? Which edition should I look at purchasing? And will it be an upgrade
    or a complete clean installation?

    Thank you for any help.

    Adam, May 22, 2008

  2. Adam

    S.SubZero Guest

    - 32-bit OS's can "recognize" up to 4GB, but the system takes some of
    the top end, so the actual available amount ends up being around
    3.5GB, give or take a couple hundred megs.

    - The E6600 is a 64-bit capable processor.

    - You must do a clean install to go to 64-bit. There is no upgrade.

    S.SubZero, May 22, 2008

  3. If you had 2GB and added 2GB you should be seeing 4GB on the System
    Properties page and in the range of 3GB available for user programs (type
    "winver" in Start/Search). You need to investigate if you are not seeing
    these amounts.

    The portion of 4GB not available for user programs is reserved by the BIOS
    for memory-mapped IO for your devices and is something that is set by the
    mobo manufaturer. This is normal.

    All Core 2 cpus are 64bit. You can migrate from x86 to x64 but it requires
    a custom installation. An upgrade installation is not possible when
    migrating between platforms. You can use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard
    to move your files and settings but you will have to reinstall your apps.
    You will need to download drivers and utilities for x64 so make sure Vista
    x64 drivers are available for your computer and your peripherals before
    proceeding any further.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 22, 2008
  4. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Thanks for the help so far. Which Vista versions are 64 bit? The only version
    above the Home Premium seems to be the Ultimate, but I am not seeing any
    actual info in the specs saying that they are 64 bit. Or are all the newest
    versions of Vista in 64 Bit?

    When typing "Winver" I get a little over 3 GB available for programs. Will I
    actually see a performance increase by upgrading to the 64 Bit OS? Or will I
    just be spending money I could use elsewhere to try and gain some performance?

    Adam, May 22, 2008
  5. All five editions of Vista are available as both x86 and x64. You only need
    an x64 dvd to install any of the four retail editions (VHB, VHP, Business,
    and Ultimate). Enterprise is also available as x64 but is not a retail
    edition.

    If your hardware is pretty good you should see faster performance for
    programs that can leverage 64bits over their 32bit counterparts. The memory
    is not where the performance improvement would come. It is the 64bit
    extensions in the instruction set.

    If you are using SP1 (should be by now) you should see 4GB on the system
    properties page. However, this change in SP1 is only a change in what is
    reported there (installed memory rather than user-available memory) and not
    a change in memory usage. That was done based on user feedback.
    Personally, I don't find it a useful change.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 22, 2008
  6. Adam

    S.SubZero Guest

    On May 22, 8:40 am, Adam <> wrote:
    > When typing "Winver" I get a little over 3 GB available for programs. Will I
    > actually see a performance increase by upgrading to the 64 Bit OS? Or will I
    > just be spending money I could use elsewhere to try and gain some performance?

    The 64-bit OS by itself does nothing special. It's not "faster" in
    the respect that the OS itself is quicker in some noticeable fashion.
    The benefit comes from the use of 64-bit apps, and not just any 64-bit
    apps but apps designed to get the best benefit from going to 64-bit.
    I've seen good results using the 64-bit version of 7zip and also my
    binary newsreader is 64-bit which does handle heavy threading a bit
    better. Your typical 64-bit port of Firefox isn't going to go faster
    simply because it's 64-bit.

    The memory aspect is one big plus for 64-bit. The max RAM you'll ever
    be able to see with a 32-bit Windows workstation OS is 4GB, and you
    don't even get all of it. Today, tomorrow, next month, next year,
    etc. You will get 4GB and that is all you will get. With 64-bit
    Windows the current workstation limit is 128GB. It's *slightly* more
    buffer for the day when 32GB DIMMS are going for $99 on newegg.com.

    Unless you have some ball & chain legacy application or hardware that
    absolutely CANNOT be used in 64-bit Windows, now is a great time to
    get the growing pains out of the way. It's better to do it now while
    4GB is still considered "a lot" rather than later when RAM is suddenly
    selling for a fraction of what it is now, but you've accumulated
    hundreds of gigs of stuff on your hard drive which would have to be
    moved and migrated.

    I've been off 32-bit Windows for well over a year. It's unlikely I'll
    ever install it on anything but a virtual machine ever again.

    S.SubZero, May 22, 2008
  7. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Someone had mentioned on another forum that it was possible to call microsoft
    and get a version of the 64 bit Vista in the same version that you had
    previously purchased. Is this possible? Or is my only option to go out and
    purchase a new version of 64-Bit Vista?

    Adam, May 23, 2008
  8. If your Vista is x86 OEM (preinstalled by the computer manufacturer) then
    you are not entitled to the x64 dvd and your product key will not work with
    anything but your preinstalled x86 copy. Calling MS will not help. MS will
    refer you to the manufacturer of your computer.

    If your Vista x86 is retail (you purchased a boxed edition) then you are
    entitled to an x64 dvd and your product key will work with it. If your copy
    is retail you may order the x64 media from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 23, 2008