    as well or instead?

    Thanks all!

    Mike

    483928367483, Jun 27, 2005

  2. 483928367483

    old jon Guest

    "483928367483" <> wrote in message
    news:d9p2a2$eod$-infra.bt.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an AMD Duron running at 1.2GHz in a Socket A motherboard.
    >
    > I need more power to handle Photoshop and Indesign. Can I change just the
    > processor for something faster? Would doubling the RAM to 1Gb be justified
    > as well or instead?
    >
    > Thanks all!
    >
    > Mike

    Check with Mboard site to see what Processor you can go up to on that board.
    Doubling ram, is a damn good idea.bw..OJ

    old jon, Jun 27, 2005

  3. 483928367483

    unwashed Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > I have an AMD Duron running at 1.2GHz in a Socket A motherboard.
    >
    > I need more power to handle Photoshop and Indesign. Can I change just the
    > processor for something faster? Would doubling the RAM to 1Gb be justified
    > as well or instead?
    >
    > Thanks all!
    >
    > Mike

    The MB OEM is the site to check what processor you M/board
    can accept.
    As for RAM, - dependent on operating system!
    Example being Win98 - some "unmodded" versions cannot
    recognise/utilise ram above 256.
    Alternatively, WinXP is rather adept at configuring/referring
    specified (default or modified) HD space as "Random Access Mem'".
    More relevent being why your current hardware configuration of
    A relatively efficient AMD processor and 512 ram is finding it a
    struggle to run the specified applications you detail?
    Unless there is anything malfunctioning or underperforming,
    your set-up is more than adequate to run the specified software.
    I doubt you would see an improvement in those app's performance.
    Though, you would most definately see improvements in other areas
    with an upgraded processor and ram.

    unwashed, Jun 27, 2005
  4. 483928367483

    D Guest

    "unwashed" <> wrote in message

    > A relatively efficient AMD processor and 512 ram is finding it a
    > struggle to run the specified applications you detail?

    LOL.

    My current 800Mhz AMD Athlon runs about as well as a Pentium 500Mhz.

    D, Jun 27, 2005
  5. 483928367483 wrote:

    > Hi

    > I have an AMD Duron running at 1.2GHz in a Socket A motherboard.

    > I need more power to handle Photoshop and Indesign. Can I change just
    > the processor for something faster? Would doubling the RAM to 1Gb be
    > justified as well or instead?

    Depends on the motherboard. Look at the specs for that one, and see how
    far it will go with respect to CPU and FSB speeds. I've had a couple
    Socket A boards -- one would only go to something like a 1.3gH
    Duron/Athlon; I'm running an Athlon 2800+ with this one.

    --
    Blinky
    International Thank Your Developers Week - June 20-27, 2005

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 27, 2005
  6. 483928367483

    philo Guest

    483928367483 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an AMD Duron running at 1.2GHz in a Socket A motherboard.
    >
    > I need more power to handle Photoshop and Indesign. Can I change just the
    > processor for something faster? Would doubling the RAM to 1Gb be justified
    > as well or instead?
    >
    > Thanks all!
    >
    > Mike

    I have not noticed any difference running photoshop on an amd-1200 vs
    an XP-2200

    *however* the amount of RAM does make a difference...
    so going to 1 gig or more would be advisable.
    i'd spend your money on RAM only and not worry about the cpu

    philo, Jun 28, 2005