upgrade of trial version

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Daniel, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hi all,

    I have ordered the software and license for this software. However, I
    am dying to get using it. So, if i install the 180day trial version and
    then all my apps, can I later on release the trial version by
    reactivating with my valid license key (or something method)? I do not
    want to reinstall everything.

    Can this be done with the OEM version or volume version of XP64
    replacing the 180 day trial?

    Thanks.

    --

    Daniel
    MCSE, MCP+I, MCP in Windows 2000/NT

    --------------------------------------
    remove the 2nd madrid from my mail address to contact me.

    Daniel, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Daniel

    DKI Guest

    i think only MSDN and volume Licience editions can upgrade the trial but not
    the OEM version.

    DKI, Jul 12, 2005

  3. "DKI" <> wrote in message
    >i think only MSDN and volume Licience editions can upgrade the trial but
    >not the OEM version.

    Correct. The OEM version is for clean install or to repair an OEM version.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 12, 2005
  4. Daniel

    Rick Guest

    It has been reported that you should be able to do a "repair" install
    with the OEM disk over the trial version, thus saving your current data.

    Rick, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have ordered the software and license for this software. However, I
    > am dying to get using it. So, if i install the 180day trial version and
    > then all my apps, can I later on release the trial version by
    > reactivating with my valid license key (or something method)? I do not
    > want to reinstall everything.
    >
    > Can this be done with the OEM version or volume version of XP64
    > replacing the 180 day trial?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Arrrrggghhh!!!! Well, thanks all for your help.

    Daniel, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Daniel

    John Barnes Guest

    There is a lot of information/misinformation about this subject on this
    site, but whatever you call it, it is supposed to be possible to get from
    the trial version to OEM version without having to clean install. Hopefully
    someone who has actually done it will post the process so we can clear it up
    as this is going to be a constant question over the coming months.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Hi

    It is possible to upgrade from the beta version to the OEM.

    I had the beat version that I installed late last year, and when I had
    problems getting a clean install last weekend, of the OEM release I decided
    to try to upgrade.

    The beta booted, I inserted the OEM CD and was offered the choice to upgrade.

    However during that upgrade the install reported a small number of errors
    about being unable to copy some files (msxmb.sys or somethig, mshtml.dll and
    a few others).

    I ignored these (I had little choice really!) and continued.

    In then end the install rebooted etc and finished.

    However when I trierd to restart, the system failed and auto-rebooted very
    very early on in the boot process.

    It was unusable so I eventually addressed my original issue (which ws due to
    bad floppy disk) and got a clean install whcih went like a dream.

    I would say go for it, the worst that can happen is you reinstall everything!

    You could create a small extra partition like 50 meg or so, and keep stuff
    like docs, and files etc that you may not want to lose.

    This way even if the upgrade fails, you can clean install, OK you will lose
    yr apps but vital docs will be safe.

    Hope this helps.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, Jul 12, 2005
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hugo wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > It is possible to upgrade from the beta version to the OEM.
    >
    > I had the beat version that I installed late last year, and when I had
    > problems getting a clean install last weekend, of the OEM release I decided
    > to try to upgrade.
    >
    > The beta booted, I inserted the OEM CD and was offered the choice to upgrade.
    >
    > However during that upgrade the install reported a small number of errors
    > about being unable to copy some files (msxmb.sys or somethig, mshtml.dll and
    > a few others).
    >
    > I ignored these (I had little choice really!) and continued.
    >
    > In then end the install rebooted etc and finished.
    >
    > However when I trierd to restart, the system failed and auto-rebooted very
    > very early on in the boot process.
    >
    > It was unusable so I eventually addressed my original issue (which ws due to
    > bad floppy disk) and got a clean install whcih went like a dream.
    >
    > I would say go for it, the worst that can happen is you reinstall everything!
    >
    > You could create a small extra partition like 50 meg or so, and keep stuff
    > like docs, and files etc that you may not want to lose.
    >
    > This way even if the upgrade fails, you can clean install, OK you will lose
    > yr apps but vital docs will be safe.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >

    > "Daniel" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I have ordered the software and license for this software. However, I
    >>am dying to get using it. So, if i install the 180day trial version and
    >>then all my apps, can I later on release the trial version by
    >>reactivating with my valid license key (or something method)? I do not
    >>want to reinstall everything.
    >>
    >>Can this be done with the OEM version or volume version of XP64
    >>replacing the 180 day trial?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>Daniel
    >>MCSE, MCP+I, MCP in Windows 2000/NT
    >>
    >>--------------------------------------
    >>remove the 2nd madrid from my mail address to contact me.

    Thanks, i'm gonna try tonight! Besides, 6 months gives me plenty of
    time to work out a fix.

    Daniel, Jul 12, 2005
  9. Daniel

    Rick Guest

    I think the trial version is only good for 120 days, or about 4 months.

    Rick, Jul 12, 2005
  10. Daniel

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks, but the most necessary information will be from TRIAL to OEM as
    there will be a lot more needing that information than going from BETA
    version. I know that doing anything from the beta to OEM is not
    recommended.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  11. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    >> Thanks, i'm gonna try tonight! Besides, 6 months gives me plenty of
    >> time to work out a fix.

    Version: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, 180-day Evaluation (English)

    Straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

    Daniel, Jul 12, 2005
  12. Yeah, its still confusing.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  13. Its not recommended you do that since unknown glitchs can occur that will
    make it difficult to diagnose.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  14. Daniel

    Rick Guest

    Which horse?

    Those that have downloaded the trial and installed it found it was only
    good for 120 days.

    So, I guess it depends which horse you talk to.

    The follow is from Microsoft's web site:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition trial software

    Thank you for your interest in evaluating Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition. This trial software allows you to evaluate the product for 120
    days. Register to order a CD or to download the trial software.

    Rick, Jul 12, 2005
  15. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > Which horse?
    >
    > Those that have downloaded the trial and installed it found it was only
    > good for 120 days.
    >
    > So, I guess it depends which horse you talk to.

    Hmm. This is my email from MS where it clearly states 180 days:

    **********************************
    Please keep this e-mail for your records.
    **********************************

    Thank you for registering to download the Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition Trial Software Kit.

    Note: The size of the download is approximately 575 megabytes (MB). The
    file you will download is in ISO image format and should be burned to CD
    before installation.

    To burn the ISO file to a CD, you must have a CD-RW drive (CD burner)
    with appropriate supporting software. If you do not have a CD burner,
    there are third-party software products available on the Internet that
    will allow you to create a virtual CD drive.

    Installation Instructions

    The following steps summarize the installation process. More detailed
    step-by-step installation and configuration instructions are available
    in the readme.htm file included with the software.

    To install the trial software for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Trial Software Kit:

    1. Download the ISO image file from the URL in the Getting Started
    section below and save the file to your hard disk.

    2. Using a CD-RW drive and software, burn the ISO image of Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition to a blank CD. Most CD burning software will
    recognize an ISO file. If your software does not recognize this format,
    you can burn it as a raw data file.

    3. Insert the CD you burned into the CD-ROM drive of the computer on
    which you want to install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

    4. The Setup file on the CD should open automatically. If it does not,
    in Windows Explorer, select setup.exe on the CD to begin installation
    and follow the step-by-step instructions that appear on the screen.

    If the download prematurely terminates or the size of the downloaded ISO
    file is not between 550 and 600 MB, you will need to restart the
    download process.

    For more information on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, visit:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

    Getting Started

    1. Click the link below to begin your download.

    The approximate size of this download is 575 MB.

    Estimated download time:
    56K Modem - 21 hours (Not Recommended)
    T1/DSL - 48 minutes (Recommended)

    2. The Product Key needed to install the software is listed directly
    beneath the download URL below.

    Version: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, 180-day Evaluation (English)

    Product Key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    Ordered From: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Evals DL Order Number:
    01175007933455 Order Date: July 11, 2005

    Sold to:
    XXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXX

    Following is a list of the items in your order:

    Part Number: ZAT-00047
    Product Name: Windows XP Professional x64 Trial Software Kit
    Qty: 1
    Unit Price: 0.00
    Item Total: 0.00

    Tax: 0.00
    Total: 0.00 USD
    (USD = US Dollar)

    **********************************
    Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an
    automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies. If you
    need help, please contact us through one of the methods described below.

    If you have questions about your order you may call customer service on
    800-872-4039, toll-free in the United States and Canada or 506-694-4248
    for International customers.

    We highly recommend that you update your Microsoft software to better
    protect against viruses and security vulnerabilities. Please visit us at
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect for details.

    Daniel, Jul 12, 2005
  16. Actually thats the Server.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005