    Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year old
    machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM Windows XP
    or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

    nospam, May 18, 2011

  2. In message <>, nospam wrote:

    > Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year old
    > machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM Windows XP
    > or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

    Technically, it would become a new machine, so no, you will have to put on a
    new OS. For Windows, that will mean a retail copy, not an OEM copy.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 18, 2011

  3. nospam

    Possible Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:41:55 +1200, nospam <> wrote:

    >I have a 9 year old machine with an Intel motherboard and a 2 GHz
    >Pentium 4 running Windows XP OEM. It's started having an intermittent
    >problem when it boots up. It gets to the login screen but when I
    >login it dies.
    >
    >Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year old
    >machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM Windows XP
    >or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

    No No & NO

    You will need New CPU, graphics card, Hard Drive, DVD Drive and new
    PSU and Ram.

    There is a Computer shop near here that does a simple swap a box, but I
    don't think its meant for 3D games.

    You can still use the XP but MS might not let you as the OEM licence is
    not transferable, but you might be able to bend MS arm.

    I range this shop and this is what it recommended you do.

    Buy a NEW PC..

    Possible, May 18, 2011
  4. In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >I have a 9 year old machine with an Intel motherboard and a 2 GHz
    >Pentium 4 running Windows XP OEM. It's started having an intermittent
    >problem when it boots up. It gets to the login screen but when I
    >login it dies.
    >
    >Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year old
    >machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM Windows XP
    >or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

    These days it seems to me that a motherboard 'upgrade' effectively menas
    'replacement'. :) Last time I tried to upgrade (due to crappy caps on the
    old board), the memory sockets were different, as was the processor one.
    <sigh>
    I got to keep the case, disk and power suplpy. Is MB replacement possible ?
    ... sure. :) :)

    Not sure about windows anything running on a replacement MB as I've never
    tried it, but I think that even those licences allowed a few h/w changes
    before it complains ? It's all on the disk, which you keep, so there's no
    actual reason why it should be broken. :)

    HTH

    Bruce Sinclair, May 18, 2011
  5. nospam

    Squiggle Guest

    On 18/05/2011 1:41 p.m., nospam threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > I have a 9 year old machine with an Intel motherboard and a 2 GHz
    > Pentium 4 running Windows XP OEM. It's started having an intermittent
    > problem when it boots up. It gets to the login screen but when I
    > login it dies.
    >
    > Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year old
    > machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM Windows XP
    > or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

    First you need to establish it is the motherboard that is at fault, and
    not the PSU (which I assume is of a similar age).

    As for upgrading the motherboard, you could probably find a 2nd hand
    motherboard on trademe, but do you want to replace a dodgy component
    with another potentially short lived motherboard?

    Not sure where you are, but if in Auckland you could look at something
    like <http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=EXWKSHP7704> if buying a new
    machine is not an option. Although for not a lot more you could get a
    brand new machine (box only) with Windows 7.

    If you do go the motherboard replacement route you may run into problems
    with WGA.. they can be overcome fairly easily from memory, depending on
    your level of geek-fu.

    Squiggle, May 18, 2011
  6. In message <>, Crash McBash wrote:

    > I installed the same (OEM) copy of XP on the new box without any
    > problems ...

    1) OEM licences are not transferable between machines.
    2) In any case, you aren’t allowed to install them for your own use.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 18, 2011
  7. nospam

    John Little Guest

    On 18/05/2011 1:41 p.m., nospam said:

    > > I have a 9 year old machine with ... when I
    > > login it dies.

    Squiggle replied:

    > First you need to establish it is the motherboard that is at fault, and
    > not the PSU (which I assume is of a similar age).

    I second that. (If the mobo is gone I'd expect the PSU was the cause.)

    Regards, John

    John Little, May 18, 2011
  8. In article <>, John Little <> wrote:
    >On 18/05/2011 1:41 p.m., nospam said:
    >>
    >> > I have a 9 year old machine with ... when I
    >> > login it dies.

    >Squiggle replied:
    >
    >> First you need to establish it is the motherboard that is at fault, and
    >> not the PSU (which I assume is of a similar age).

    >I second that. (If the mobo is gone I'd expect the PSU was the cause.)

    ... or dodgy/leaking caps. Usually easy to spot those. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 19, 2011
  9. nospam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > John Little <> wrote:

    >> Squiggle replied:
    >>
    >>> First you need to establish it is the motherboard that is at fault,
    >>> and not the PSU (which I assume is of a similar age).

    >> I second that. (If the mobo is gone I'd expect the PSU was the
    >> cause.)

    > .. or dodgy/leaking caps. Usually easy to spot those. :)

    Yep, being nine years old puts it right in the time-frame for the worst of
    bad caps plague, both in the PSU and on the mobo.

    Shame, I just got rid of an Intel mobo (in very good condition) which would
    have been essentially a drop-in replacement for the OP. It even had a 2GHz
    P4 already in it. However you just can't keep that sort of stuff sitting
    around forever so off to the recyclers it went, maybe a month ago. :-/
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, May 19, 2011
  10. nospam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 19/05/2011 1:06 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> In article
    >>> <>,

    >>> .. or dodgy/leaking caps. Usually easy to spot those. :)

    >> Yep, being nine years old puts it right in the time-frame for the
    >> worst of bad caps plague, both in the PSU and on the mobo.
    >>
    >> Shame, I just got rid of an Intel mobo (in very good condition)
    >> which would have been essentially a drop-in replacement for the OP.
    >> It even had a 2GHz P4 already in it. However you just can't keep
    >> that sort of stuff sitting around forever so off to the recyclers it
    >> went, maybe a month ago. :-/

    > And on that note if an old P4 is all the OP needs then an ex lease
    > machine from the likes of PB Tech won't be a lot over the $100 mark,
    > will have a Windows licence and at least some semblance of a warranty.

    Exactly. Hence my clearing out the left-overs from my last couple of
    re-builds from that era.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 19, 2011
  11. In message <>, Crash McBash wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:32:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Crash McBash
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed the same (OEM) copy of XP on the new box without any
    >>> problems ...

    >>1) OEM licences are not transferable between machines.
    >>2) In any case, you aren’t allowed to install them for your own use.

    > It works and MS are hardly likely to come looking.

    You clicked a button saying you agreed to the terms and conditions, did you
    not?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2011
  12. nospam

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Thu, 19 May 2011 21:47:06 +1200, Re: Upgrade motherboard in 9 year old
    machine, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Crash McBash wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:32:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>1) OEM licences are not transferable between machines.
    >>>2) In any case, you aren’t allowed to install them for your own use.

    >> It works and MS are hardly likely to come looking.

    >You clicked a button saying you agreed to the terms and conditions, did you
    >not?

    Are you channelling Dabid Murray?

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Msgr Scooter, May 19, 2011
  13. nospam

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:41:55 +1200, nospam wrote:

    > I have a 9 year old machine with an Intel motherboard and a 2 GHz
    > Pentium 4 running Windows XP OEM. It's started having an intermittent
    > problem when it boots up. It gets to the login screen but when I login
    > it dies.
    >
    > Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year old
    > machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM Windows XP
    > or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

    It's possible. OEM Windows authentication mostly relies on a
    manufacturer's ID string programmed into BIOS. This string is hashed and
    checked against a hash file which has been signed by MS. If memory
    serves, the ID string is stored in the ACPI area in BIOS. You can't
    realistically change the MS signature file but if you take the ID string
    from the old mother board and flash it into the new BIOS then you are
    probably good to go.

    Roger_Nickel, May 19, 2011
  14. In article <>,
    says...

    > I have a 9 year old machine with an Intel motherboard and a 2 GHz
    > Pentium 4 running Windows XP OEM. It's started having an intermittent
    > problem when it boots up. It gets to the login screen but when I
    > login it dies.
    >
    > Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year old
    > machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM Windows XP
    > or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

    Yes, can be done. You're looking at more than mobo - you'll need mobo, psu, ram
    and cpu. If your old graphics card was agp you'll need a new one of those as
    well, or get a mobo with integrated video if you're not a gamer. They're pretty
    good for 'ordinary' use these days.

    Install the old harddrive, boot up, then install the drivers for the new
    hardware and re-activate Windows. In my experience that process should not give
    you any problems with windows xp, I've upgraded numbers of older machines with
    various versions of xp on them.

    Problems arise if you have too many ide drives that you want to retain: the new
    motherboards are all laid out for sata and only have one ide socket max. I had
    to replace an optical drive with a sata one when I did my last upgrade. The
    motherboard also gave me some problems when I tried to persuade it that I want
    to boot from ide and not sata. (managed in the end by disconnecting all sata
    devices, setting the boot sequence to ide first, then reconnecting sata drives
    -- Doh!).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, May 19, 2011
  15. In message <4dd589e9$>, Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > OEM Windows authentication mostly relies on a
    > manufacturer's ID string programmed into BIOS. This string is hashed and
    > checked against a hash file which has been signed by MS. If memory
    > serves, the ID string is stored in the ACPI area in BIOS. You can't
    > realistically change the MS signature file but if you take the ID string
    > from the old mother board and flash it into the new BIOS then you are
    > probably good to go.

    Isn’t that violating Microsoft’s EULA? The one you agreed to?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2011
  16. In message <>, Peter Huebner
    wrote:

    > The motherboard also gave me some problems when I tried
    > to persuade it that I want to boot from ide and not sata.

    You couldn’t just copy the OS installation onto the new drive?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2011
  17. nospam

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-05-20, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Peter Huebner
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The motherboard also gave me some problems when I tried
    >> to persuade it that I want to boot from ide and not sata.

    > You couldn?t just copy the OS installation onto the new drive?

    Oh Lawrence, you troll in jest. Yes one can clone the HD but will this go
    smoothly after boot up.

    Gordon, May 20, 2011
  18. In message <>, Crash McBash wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 May 2011 21:47:06 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Crash McBash
    >>wrote:

    >>> It works and MS are hardly likely to come looking.

    >>You clicked a button saying you agreed to the terms and conditions, did
    >>you not?

    > Probably. I don't specifically recall. My point is that what I did
    > worked as I expected and therefore the OP could reasonably expect to
    > do they same if they wished to. What's your point?

    That it turns you said you agreed, and you led Microsoft to believe you
    agreed, but in fact you had no intention of abiding by those terms and
    conditions.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2011
  19. In message <>, Crash McBash wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 May 2011 22:31:06 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Crash McBash
    >>wrote:

    >>> Probably. I don't specifically recall. My point is that what I did
    >>> worked as I expected and therefore the OP could reasonably expect to
    >>> do they same if they wished to. What's your point?

    >>That it turns you said you agreed, and you led Microsoft to believe you
    >>agreed, but in fact you had no intention of abiding by those terms and
    >>conditions.

    > So what terms or conditions do you think I have not abided by?

    The one that said you can’t transfer an OEM licence to a new machine, for a
    start.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2011
  20. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2011 09:32:04 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> I have a 9 year old machine with an Intel motherboard and a 2 GHz
    >> Pentium 4 running Windows XP OEM. It's started having an intermittent
    >> problem when it boots up. It gets to the login screen but when I
    >> login it dies.
    >>
    >> Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year old
    >> machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM Windows XP
    >> or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

    >Yes, can be done. You're looking at more than mobo - you'll need mobo, psu, ram
    >and cpu. If your old graphics card was agp you'll need a new one of those as
    >well, or get a mobo with integrated video if you're not a gamer. They're pretty
    >good for 'ordinary' use these days.

    In that case I think I'll get a whole new system, maybe this one with
    AMD Phenom II, X2 and Windows 7

    http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?810&ssid=

    Any ideas if the Gigabyte motherboard is a reasonable one regarding
    quality/ reliability.

    nospam, May 22, 2011