Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bosco836, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. Bosco836

    Bosco836 Guest

    I recently took on a project for a friend of upgrading the hard drive
    in his older computer. The motherboard is a Via from about 2002 with a
    1.73Ghz AMD Athalon. I purchased a 160GB WD IDE hard drive and
    installed it into the computer, and began the process formatting and
    installing Windows (XP Pro - Legal Copy) . However, I would get a
    blue screen of death when I reached 11% of Copying Files. I typed the
    error code into Google, and found that this was usually related to
    faulty RAM, so through the process of elimination, I was able to locate
    the faulty chip and remove it. I then began the the format and install
    process over again, however, now, after it finishes copying the files,
    it tells me it has compleated sucessfully and needs to reboot.
    However, after rebooting, the computer will not boot. It appears as if
    it dosnt even reconize the drive, and it automaticlly attempts to boot
    of the CD. Removing the CD from the drive results in booting, but with
    3 or 4 yellow and green boxes showing up overtop a black screen. I
    have never seen this behaviour before and am at a loss of what to do.

    I'd appreciate any help I could get.

    Thanks,

    Bosco836, Aug 5, 2006

  2. Bosco836

    doS Guest

    what jumper settings for the new drive?

    doS, Aug 5, 2006

  3. Bosco836

    Bosco836 Guest

    doS wrote:
    > what jumper settings for the new drive?

    I have tried both the Cable Select, Master, and Master w/Slave Jumper
    Settings, none of which have worked correctly.

    Bosco836, Aug 5, 2006