    I need to do a fresh install?
    Our version of winxp pro does not require activation or reactivation.
    , Nov 3, 2004

  2. dadiOH Guest

    wrote:
    > What is the best way to upgrade winxp pro from a 10 gb hard drive to
    > a new 80 GB hard drive? Will the copy utility programs work OK or
    > will I need to do a fresh install?

    You aren't upgrading XP PRO, you are just putting in a new drive.

    1. Put new drive in case as...
    (a) slave on IDE channel #1
    - OR -
    (b) master on IDE channel #2

    2. FDISK and FORMAT new drive

    3. Copy C: to new drive. Stuff like Ghost is not necessary, just copy the damn thing.

    4. Put new drive where C: was, change it to master

    - OR -

    Read the instructions that came with your HD and the included software to do all of #2 & #3
    _____________________________

    > Our version of winxp pro does not require activation or
    > reactivation.

    That's nice.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Nov 3, 2004

  3. zippy do da Guest

    dadiOH wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>What is the best way to upgrade winxp pro from a 10 gb hard drive to
    >>a new 80 GB hard drive? Will the copy utility programs work OK or
    >>will I need to do a fresh install?

    > You aren't upgrading XP PRO, you are just putting in a new drive.
    >
    > 1. Put new drive in case as...
    > (a) slave on IDE channel #1
    > - OR -
    > (b) master on IDE channel #2
    >
    > 2. FDISK and FORMAT new drive
    >
    > 3. Copy C: to new drive. Stuff like Ghost is not necessary, just copy the damn thing.
    >
    > 4. Put new drive where C: was, change it to master
    >
    > - OR -
    >
    > Read the instructions that came with your HD and the included software to do all of #2 & #3
    >

    >> Our version of winxp pro does not require activation or
    >>reactivation.

    > That's nice.

    also I love partion magic 8 it is great for making partions on the fly
    ntfs os2 fat fat32 directories. you install it then make two startup
    disks. saves me tons of time when re-formating and spliting my hd into
    two ntfs partions in home xp and so far one of the less hair pulling
    methods I have used.
    zippy do da, Nov 4, 2004