    Windows XP when I go to the Windows Update website? Anyone know how to make
    this work?

    JAE
    JAE, Sep 17, 2005

  2. JAE

    FML Guest

    JAE wrote:
    > I need some help. Why doesn't Windows 3.1 automatically update itself to
    > Windows XP when I go to the Windows Update website? Anyone know how to make
    > this work?
    >
    > JAE

    The Windows Update process is not designed to upgrade versions, it is
    designed to bring your current version up to date. In your scenario they
    would have upgraded to 3.11 to 95 to 98 to 98SE to Me to XP for free and
    would be broke.
    FML, Sep 17, 2005

  3. JAE

    PC Guest

    "JAE" <> wrote in message
    >I need some help. Why doesn't Windows 3.1 automatically update itself to
    >Windows XP when I go to the Windows Update website? Anyone know how to
    >make this work?
    >
    > JAE

    It's a Troll, right?

    peecee
    PC, Sep 17, 2005
  4. JAE

    FML Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "JAE" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I need some help. Why doesn't Windows 3.1 automatically update itself to
    >>Windows XP when I go to the Windows Update website? Anyone know how to
    >>make this work?
    >>
    >>JAE
    >>

    > It's a Troll, right?
    >
    > peecee

    I was thinking that just as I pressed the "send" button. Oh well!
    FML, Sep 17, 2005
  5. JAE wrote:

    > I need some help. Why doesn't Windows 3.1 automatically update itself to
    > Windows XP when I go to the Windows Update website? Anyone know how to
    > make this work?

    Rather new, isn't it?
    Now, pcs that used to work with windows3.1, will _not_ do so with w2k or xp,
    and almost the same in reverse: 3.1 has no clue about modern chipsets,
    graphic cards and SATA.
    Win3.1 didn't receive updates from i-net, because it didn't even contain a
    network stack of it's own. And then, 3.11 had netbeui as default - tcpip
    came as a addon, and forget about IE for 3.11. The last 16-bit-edition of
    IE was 4.0, no fun to surf with that on a 8MB i386 :))

    Actually, if you want such a feature, you should select linux as your OS. If
    you keep it updated, it will grow with your computer and - unlike XP - even
    survive a "relocation" to a new one, with some precaution.

    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.13-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 17, 2005
  6. JAE

    philo Guest

    JAE wrote:
    > I need some help. Why doesn't Windows 3.1 automatically update itself to
    > Windows XP when I go to the Windows Update website? Anyone know how to make
    > this work?
    >
    > JAE

    Because you need windows for workgroups 3.11

    You missed out by 0.01 too bad dude !
    philo, Sep 17, 2005
  7. JAE

    Mellowed Guest

    Excellent observation!
    :)

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    : JAE wrote:
    :
    : > I need some help. Why doesn't Windows 3.1 automatically update
    itself to
    : > Windows XP when I go to the Windows Update website? Anyone know how
    : > make this work?
    : >
    :
[...]
    : --
    : Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCP VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
    : detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
    Mellowed, Sep 18, 2005
  8. "PC" <> wrote in

    >"JAE" <> wrote in message
    >>I need some help. Why doesn't Windows 3.1 automatically update
    >>itself to Windows XP when I go to the Windows Update website?
    >>Anyone know how to make this work?
    >>
    >> JAE
    >>

    > It's a Troll, right?
    >
    > peecee