    So, suggestions anyone?

    Phillip
    www.visualconductor.com

    hockey fan, Mar 24, 2005

  2. hockey fan

    jimkramer Guest

    "hockey fan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a DSC-F717. I would like to upgrade to something with 8M pixels or
    > more. The DSC-F818 was looking attractive feature-wise, but the reports of
    > so-so image quality make me wonder whether it's worth the expense.
    >
    > I'd really rather stay away from a DSLR because I do use (from time to
    > time) the movie capability of the 717 which, to my knowledge, is not
    > available on a DSLR. If I'm wrong here, please correct me.
    >
    > So, suggestions anyone?
    >
    > Phillip
    > www.visualconductor.com

    Get a DSLR and keep the 717 too.

    Jim

    jimkramer, Mar 24, 2005

  3. hockey fan

    hockey fan Guest

    "jimkramer" <> wrote in message
    > "hockey fan" <> wrote in message

    >> So, suggestions anyone?
    >>

    > Get a DSLR and keep the 717 too.
    >
    > Jim

    Nice thought, and I had considered it, but money is an issue. If it weren't,
    I'd get a better video camera too.

    In my original post I neglected to mention that I kind of like the memory
    stick format since I can just pop it out of the camera and into my clie for
    a better look. This is nice, but I'm not married to it.

    Phillip

    hockey fan, Mar 24, 2005
  4. hockey fan

    Pete D Guest

    Do like Jim says, the better Sonys are not much better, any of the D-SLR's
    are much better, however if you are only printing at the smaller sizes would
    probably see little change.

    Pete D, Mar 24, 2005
  5. hockey fan

    Rick Guest

    "hockey fan" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a DSC-F717. I would like to upgrade to something with 8M pixels or
    > more. The DSC-F818 was looking attractive feature-wise, but the reports of
    > so-so image quality make me wonder whether it's worth the expense.
    >
    > I'd really rather stay away from a DSLR because I do use (from time to time)
    > the movie capability of the 717 which, to my knowledge, is not available on
    > a DSLR. If I'm wrong here, please correct me.
    >
    > So, suggestions anyone?

    Well, 5MP is either enough for your purposes, or it isn't.

    If it is, keep the F717. If it isn't, the next step up would be a DSLR.
    Even a 6MP DSLR outresolves an 8MP point&shoot, because of its
    much lower noise levels.

    Rick, Mar 24, 2005
  6. hockey fan

    jimkramer Guest

    "hockey fan" <> wrote in message
    > "jimkramer" <> wrote in message
    >> "hockey fan" <> wrote in message

    >>> So, suggestions anyone?
    >>>

    >> Get a DSLR and keep the 717 too.
    >>
    >> Jim

    > Nice thought, and I had considered it, but money is an issue. If it
    > weren't, I'd get a better video camera too.
    >
    > In my original post I neglected to mention that I kind of like the memory
    > stick format since I can just pop it out of the camera and into my clie
    > for a better look. This is nice, but I'm not married to it.
    >
    > Phillip

    How much do you think that 717 is worth now? ;-)

    You can get a Canon D Rebel at Costco or Sam's with a kit lens for ~$770.
    Used or online for even less. Still need memory and a good flash to get
    started, but the response is worth it. And I suspect the price will continue
    to drop as they disappear.

    I went through the 707 to 717 upgrade and finally an 828. I like action and
    macro work, the 828 was "great" for neither. Currently have a 10D with 828
    as a back-up and for the movie and nightshot features.

    If money is really an issue, make due with the 717. There will be other
    newer cameras to buy tomorrow. The V3 "looks" nice....

    Jim

    jimkramer, Mar 24, 2005
  7. "hockey fan" <> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a DSC-F717. I would like to upgrade to something with 8M pixels or
    > more. The DSC-F818 was looking attractive feature-wise, but the reports of
    > so-so image quality make me wonder whether it's worth the expense.

    I haven't worked with the 8MP consumer digital models, but from all I
    here, they're not a good idea. They win the megapixel race, but
    sacrifice image quality.

    Do you want an 8MP camera because your 717 produces fewer megapixels
    than you need? Or is it just that you have to increase the MP for it
    to be an "upgrade" in you mind?

    > I'd really rather stay away from a DSLR because I do use (from time to time)
    > the movie capability of the 717 which, to my knowledge, is not available on
    > a DSLR. If I'm wrong here, please correct me.

    You're right there; and it probably won't change in the next
    generation of models or even the one after that.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 24, 2005
  8. hockey fan

    Guest

    I've gone down exactly the same road, and ended up going from the 717
    to an Olympus C8080. I did not want, for various reasons (bulk,
    expense and portability) to go for a DSLR. However, finding a better
    camera than the 717 was not easy..

    I use a Sony F828 at work and it is a lovely camera, except for the
    purple fringe issue (which is only a problem very occasionally), and
    high noise at isos over 100 (just a little more noise than the 717).
    The major improvements over the 717 are build quality, that little bit
    more resolution, and *much* faster AF.

    For myself I bought the Oly C8080 to avoid the purple fringe issue (the
    Oly has `only` got a 28-140 lens, but it is a very `clean` lens, with
    no real issues whatsoever), and to save a bit of money. My reason for
    upgrading was to allow me to do the bigger enlarhgements I like, eg
    11x17 and 13x19.. and the 717 didn't quite cut it. The 828 and C8080
    are both capable of very good quality images at that size for my sort
    of work, mostly outdoor portraiture. The Oly is not quite as quick as
    the 828 for AF, but with pre-focussing it's good enough for what I
    shoot.

    If you are only printing to 11x8, then the added resolution means
    little, and even at larger sizes, you are not gaining that much - stay
    with the 717. The 717 is a fine camera, and I miss mine, especially
    when I sometimes struggle with the Olympus' rather odd menu system.

    While they *are* noisier at all ISO's than a DSLR, 8Mp PS cameras can
    and do outperform 6Mp DSLRs in sheer resolving power, and for most
    prints I do (shot at low ISOs), the noise is simply not visible in a
    typical print. Anyone who disputes that an 8Mp P&S can outresolve a
    6Mp DSLR is invited to view the links below before flaming! I know the
    difference is not much, and the noise to some extent cancels the
    advantage out..

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page27.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/page23.asp

    But there you go, the little Oly puts in a good try, and manages to
    outperform the 10D. Just. And in terms of resolution only,
    admittedly. (O;

    , Mar 24, 2005
  9. hockey fan

    Guest

    PS - The movie mode on the Oly isn't as good as the Sony..

    , Mar 24, 2005
  10. hockey fan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a DSC-F717. I would like to upgrade to something with 8M
    > pixels or more. The DSC-F818 was looking attractive feature-wise, but
    > the reports of so-so image quality make me wonder whether it's worth
    > the expense.
    > I'd really rather stay away from a DSLR because I do use (from time
    > to time) the movie capability of the 717 which, to my knowledge, is
    > not available on a DSLR. If I'm wrong here, please correct me.
    >
    > So, suggestions anyone?

    Nikon Coolpix 8400 with 24mm wide-angle

    Nikon Coolpix 8800 or Panasonic FZ20, both have image stabilised long
    zooms

    Both the Nikons have VGA movies, the Panasonic has 320 x 240 movies with
    an f/2.8 Leica 36- 432mm lens.

    David J Taylor, Mar 25, 2005