    If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
    software until buying the retail version.

    Andreas

    Andreas Schwartmann, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Andreas;
    An In Place Upgrade will do what you want.
    It is not advisable to upgrade from a Beta version.
    You should perform a Clean Installation.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 9, 2005

  3. If you already had standardized on x64 hardware from its debut in 2003 with
    32-bit Windows XP and was waiting on the release of Windows XP Professional
    x64 Edition just to do a simple upgrade, think again. There is not upgrade
    path from Windows XP 32-bit or 32-bit installations of Windows to Windows
    x64.

    Users have the option of doing a dual boot installation however with 32 bit
    Windows, but problems can occur preparing the partition to install Windows
    XP Professional x64 on, so make sure you back up all your data before doing
    so. Also ensure that you have F6 drivers ready for your SATA/RAID hard disk
    during setup. You cannot begin the installation of Windows XP Professional
    x64 from within 32-bit Windows, you have to boot off the CD-ROM, so ensure
    that your have your boot configuration set to CD-ROM Drive first.

    Other upgrade paths:
    Some persons who were able to test Windows XP Professional x64 during beta
    stages and Corporate Previews are asking about upgrade paths to the final
    version. Yes, it is possible, but not recommended or supported, there can be
    unknown glitches that can make it more difficult to diagnose the problem or
    suggest appropriate fixes. So a clean install is the best recommendation in
    such cases.

    If you choose to test out Windows XP Professional x64 with the RTM trial
    copy and it has expired after 120 to 180days, users have the option of doing
    what is called an inplace upgrade to full Windows XP Professional x64
    without losing any data, but as with any upgrades, still do a backup.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 9, 2005
  4. While it is technically possible to do an upgrade from the RC version, it is
    STRONGLY recommended that you do a clean install. An upgrade would leave you
    with an unsupported configuration.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2005
  5. Andreas Schwartmann

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree that the best and recommended way would be a clean install. That
    said I don't understand the constant comments about unsupported. This
    system is OEM only and unless bought with a supported PC, which isn't the
    case here, is unsupported anyway.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Meaning, any unknown glitches that occurr between upgrading from beta to
    final software can't be easily diagnosed.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 9, 2005
  7. John;
    It is unsupported by Microsoft because among other things they do not want
    any Beta remnants on the system.
    RC2 is a Beta and upgrading to the released version from a Beta in rarely if
    ever supported by Microsoft.
    One of the first fixes for such a computer with troubles is a Clean Install
    to be sure Beta is not related to the problem.
    That is why it is unsupported and a Clean Install is recommended to begin
    with..

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 9, 2005
  8. Andreas Schwartmann

    John Barnes Guest

    Don't understand your need to reply.
    Everyone including myself strongly recommended a clean install.
    What you said is relevant to a retail purchase.
    This system is OEM only as I mentioned.
    Only support would be from a computer manufacturer if pre-installed
    OEM from NewEgg, etc. is unsupported, period. He may well have had better
    access to support from the beta team than he will have after the OEM is
    installed.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2005
  9. John;
    I replied because you stated "I don't understand..."
    An In Place Upgrade will work in this situation.
    An In Place Upgrade will also work if the original is the trial version.

    The difference between the two is the first is Beta and thus untested and
    thereby unsupported.
    It is not relevant if OEM or retail.
    The In Place Upgrade would work in either case if a retail version were
    available.

    You may be thinking to narrowly of "supported".
    There are many kinds and sources of support.

    As an example, an upgrade from the trial that experiences a specific issue
    among numerous computers may suggest to Microsoft research and possibly
    publish a KB article etc.
    A similar problem with an upgrade from Beta, Microsoft is more likely to
    suggest a Clean Install with little or no research of the problem.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 9, 2005
  10. The only people I know who do upgrade from betas is IT departments that have
    probably standardized on a beta version of Windows Server. I think I read on
    the Windows Server 2000 disk support docs that upgrading from a beta version
    is supported, I don't know if this has changed since version 2003.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 9, 2005
  11. Hello Jupiter,
    An inplace upgrade actually normally wouldn't work in upgrading from a beta
    build to a RTM build. Trial would work for this scenario.
    One of the things an inplace upgrade checks for is versioning and should
    only prompt to "repair" when it finds a like build number so this may not
    be an available option going from 1433 to 1830.
    But since this was tied to the release of SP1 the versioning check may see
    both of these as just 3790 in which case it might work.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that Evaluation Media, Volume Licensing
    Media and MSDN media do both exist and none of these media types block the
    upgrade..
    Still not supported nor is the upgrade recommended.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <>
    <Subject: Re: Upgrade from RC 2 to retail version?
    <Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:56:26 -0600
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <--
    <Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    <http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    <http://www.dts-l.org
    <
    <
    <"John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    <> Don't understand your need to reply.
    <> Everyone including myself strongly recommended a clean install.
    <> What you said is relevant to a retail purchase.
    <> This system is OEM only as I mentioned.
    <> Only support would be from a computer manufacturer if pre-installed
    <> OEM from NewEgg, etc. is unsupported, period. He may well have had
    better
    <> access to support from the beta team than he will have after the OEM is
    <> installed.
    <>
    <>
    <> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <>> John;
    <>> It is unsupported by Microsoft because among other things they do not
    <>> want any Beta remnants on the system.
    <>> RC2 is a Beta and upgrading to the released version from a Beta in
    rarely
    <>> if ever supported by Microsoft.
    <>> One of the first fixes for such a computer with troubles is a Clean
    <>> Install to be sure Beta is not related to the problem.
    <>> That is why it is unsupported and a Clean Install is recommended to
    begin
    <>> with..
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    <>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    <>> http://www.dts-l.org
    <>>
    <>>
    <>> "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    <>> news:OJwG$...
    <>>>I agree that the best and recommended way would be a clean install.
    That
    <>>>said I don't understand the constant comments about unsupported. This
    <>>>system is OEM only and unless bought with a supported PC, which isn't
    the
    <>>>case here, is unsupported anyway.
    <>>>
    <>>>
    <>>> "Andreas Schwartmann" <> wrote in message
    <>>>> Hi,
    <>>>>
    <>>>>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 10, 2005