    but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

    Cheers

    Rob J
    Rob James, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Rob James

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Rob James wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
    > I shudder to think of the price I paid :) My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
    > the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
    > the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
    > thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
    > therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
    > Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
    > ? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
    > but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

    The Canon EF lens will work. The Sigma, depending on its age, may need
    to be re-chipped by Sigma. And neither is an exceptional lens for
    digital use (unless the 70-300 is the 70-II which does macro from
    200-300 mm).

    If you do go Canon, do get the kit lens. It is well worth the added
    $100 and takes good pix. And if you ever want to sell the camera, it
    will be easier with the lens to go with it.

    At the wide end the 28-80 will be 45 mm equiv due to 1.6 cropping
    factor. The 18-55 is on the order of 28-90, giving you a good lens for
    wide views.

    I would not let your present lens set drive you to Canon vs. Nikon. If
    you had an IS lens or some L glass, that would be another matter.

    Personally, I prefer Canon because there is really a rich set of lenses
    to choose from.

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Rob James wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
    > I shudder to think of the price I paid :) My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
    > the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
    > the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
    > thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
    > therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
    > Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
    > ? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
    > but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

    Go for it - the EOS 300D is really excellent for the price, and if you
    have existing lenses, it will generally give as good a picture as the
    D70 even if the features are not so comprehensive.

    But be careful - try the Sigma lens on the 300D first. It may possiblu
    work on a 500, but be outdated for a 300D. It might not function, and it
    might not be upgrade-friendly. Just be sure to check before counting on
    using the 70-300mm

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Rob James

    Namikis Guest

    get the 18-55 kit lens - it is great. sell the sigma on ebay and get a
    similar canon lens instead.

    Namikis, Jun 27, 2004
  5. "Rob James" <> writes:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6
    > years now. I shudder to think of the price I paid :) My wife has a
    > Canon EOS 500 with the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma
    > EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take the leap to Digital SLR and I'm
    > nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only thing holding me back is the
    > option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and therefore reuse the
    > existing normal and telephoto zoom lense. Has anyone had any
    > experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D ? I think
    > the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
    > but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

    The benefit of the 18-55mm lens is that it has a somewhat decent
    wideangle end on the 300D. Remember the 1.6 crop factor; so the 18mm
    lens gives you an angle of view photographers used to 35mm film
    cameras associate with 1.6x18mm = 28mm. That's not very wide; in
    particular it's not too good as the *widest* lens in your arsenal.
    (Personally I had 24mm, 20mm, and 17mm lenses *before* I got my first
    digital camera).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 27, 2004
  6. "Rob James" <> wrote in message news:<_voDc.2201$>...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
    > I shudder to think of the price I paid :) My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
    > the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
    > the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
    > thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
    > therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
    > Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
    > ? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
    > but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Rob J

    It is probably best if you start out with a brand new system. The
    Canon EOS platform is going downhill. Their quality control is getting
    worst by the week. Sample variation is at an all time high
    inconsistency level. Put your money into the cutting edge of digital
    photography. Buy a Sigma SD10 body and a few good Sigma lenses to
    start. You couldn't buy a better camera in terms of build, image
    quality, resolution, software, and advanced features. And you won't
    need to spend the extra money on those Canon IS lenses because this
    feature is already built into all Sigma bodies.
    Giorgio Preddio, Jun 27, 2004
  7. Giorgio Preddio wrote:

    > "Rob James" <> wrote in message news:<_voDc.2201$>...
    >
    >>Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
    >>I shudder to think of the price I paid :) My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
    >>the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
    >>the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
    >>thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
    >>therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
    >>Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
    >>? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
    >>but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Rob J

    > It is probably best if you start out with a brand new system. The
    > Canon EOS platform is going downhill. Their quality control is getting
    > worst by the week. Sample variation is at an all time high
    > inconsistency level. Put your money into the cutting edge of digital
    > photography. Buy a Sigma SD10 body and a few good Sigma lenses to
    > start. You couldn't buy a better camera in terms of build, image
    > quality, resolution, software, and advanced features. And you won't
    > need to spend the extra money on those Canon IS lenses because this
    > feature is already built into all Sigma bodies.

    I don't even think this is Preddy. I think someone is adding extra lies
    (IS built into Sigma bodies - complete nonsense!) to Preddy's usual
    misplaced advice, and posting to make him look even more ridiculous.

    Just ignore this post entirely.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 27, 2004
  8. In article <>, Giorgio
    Preddio <> wrote:
    > It is probably best if you start out with a brand new system. The
    > Canon EOS platform is going downhill. Their quality control is getting
    > worst by the week. Sample variation is at an all time high
    > inconsistency level. Put your money into the cutting edge of digital
    > photography. Buy a Sigma SD10 body and a few good Sigma lenses to
    > start. You couldn't buy a better camera in terms of build, image
    > quality, resolution, software, and advanced features. And you won't
    > need to spend the extra money on those Canon IS lenses because this
    > feature is already built into all Sigma bodies.

    The only time the term "cutting edge" and Sigma could be used in the
    same sentence would be something like:

    Sigma continues to plod down the path of mediocre hardware marketed to
    cheapskate amateurs, certainly at the opposite end of the spectrum from
    cutting edge technology implemented by more mainstream companies.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 27, 2004
  9. Rob James

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Giorgio Preddio wrote:

    > "Rob James" <> wrote in message news:<_voDc.2201$>...
    >
    >>Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
    >>I shudder to think of the price I paid :) My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
    >>the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
    >>the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
    >>thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
    >>therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
    >>Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
    >>? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
    >>but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Rob J

    > It is probably best if you start out with a brand new system. The
    > Canon EOS platform is going downhill. Their quality control is getting
    > worst by the week. Sample variation is at an all time high
    > inconsistency level.

    Show the data (not yours!) to support that. The 300D I bought this
    month has higher quality (e.g., DeadPixelTest) than the one I bought
    last Sept and sold in Greece in May.

    >Put your money into the cutting edge of digital
    > photography. Buy a Sigma SD10 body and a few good Sigma lenses to
    > start.

    Really a digi-photo cul-de-sac.

    > And you won't
    > need to spend the extra money on those Canon IS lenses because this
    > feature is already built into all Sigma bodies.

    Not all IS is created equal. And Canon IS is the proven standard.

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Jun 27, 2004
  10. Rob James

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    David Kilpatrick wrote:

    > I don't even think this is Preddy. I think someone is adding extra lies
    > (IS built into Sigma bodies - complete nonsense!) to Preddy's usual
    > misplaced advice, and posting to make him look even more ridiculous.

    You mean someone trying to blacken George's reputation here? Hardly
    seems possible :)

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Rob James

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    David Kilpatrick wrote:

    > I don't even think this is Preddy.

    I did a bit of research, and you could be right.

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Jun 27, 2004
  12. Rob James

    Skip M Guest

    "Phil Wheeler" <> wrote in message

    > <snipped more preddesque drivel>
    > > And you won't
    > > need to spend the extra money on those Canon IS lenses because this
    > > feature is already built into all Sigma bodies.

    > Not all IS is created equal. And Canon IS is the proven standard.
    >
    > Phil

    The only IS (or OS in Sigma's case) that Sigma uses in in their 80-400 OS
    lens, not in any cameras.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com