    In other words, can a 32-bit Vista be upgraded to 64-bit? Or will I need to
    buy a full 64-bit version for my new computer a year after buying the 32-bit
    one?
    =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=, Jan 26, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What type of XP do you have on your machine now. OEM? Retail?
    OEM, you will not be allowed to transfer to your new machine to qualify to
    install Vista64.
    Retail, you can transfer to your new machine and then do an upgrade install,
    but a custom only install.

    John Barnes, Jan 26, 2007

  3. Thank you for the reply. Here are my two questions, again, but this time
    expressed more clearly.

    I have the OEM version of XP Home.

    Will I be able to buy a Vista Ultimate 32-bit BOXED RETAIL UPGRADE or will I
    need to buy the full version in order to be able to transfer it later to a
    64-bit computer?

    When I build my new 64-bit computer a year from now, I will be uninstalling
    the 32-bit Ultimate from my old, discarded, computer and installing it on the
    new computer. What will I then need to buy in order to "upgrade" the 32-bit
    Vista Ultimate I will own to the 64-bit version?

    =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=, Jan 26, 2007
  4. The computer doesn't matter since Vista x86 runs fine on an x64 computer.
    Your real problem is that you cannot transfer the XP to a new computer. OEM
    copies may not be transferred.

    The problem with buying the upgrade edition of Vista is that it requires
    Win2k or XP already running before you can perform the upgrade. Since your
    XP Home is an OEM copy, you would need to buy another OS for the new
    computer. There is little point in buying two OS's to install Vista when
    for the same money you can buy a full edition of Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 26, 2007
  5. Edwin wrote:
    > Thank you for the reply. Here are my two questions, again, but this time
    > expressed more clearly.
    >
    > I have the OEM version of XP Home.
    >
    > Will I be able to buy a Vista Ultimate 32-bit BOXED RETAIL UPGRADE or will I
    > need to buy the full version in order to be able to transfer it later to a
    > 64-bit computer?

    In order to be able to use the Vista Upgrade on the new computer, there
    will first have to be an older, qualifying OS installed on that new
    computer. Your current WinXP Home OEM license will not serve, as it is
    not transferable to another computer. So, you'll most likely want to
    purchase the full Vista license.

    > When I build my new 64-bit computer a year from now, I will be uninstalling
    > the 32-bit Ultimate from my old, discarded, computer and installing it on the
    > new computer. What will I then need to buy in order to "upgrade" the 32-bit
    > Vista Ultimate I will own to the 64-bit version?

    A full retail license for Vista64; there is no upgrade path from a
    32-bit to a 640-bit OS.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Thanks, Bruce.

    I am not sure how I am supposed to go about rating a reply. Is it simply
    answering the question (yes or no) "Did this post answer the question?" or is
    there a more detailed rating process that I have not been able to find?

    Regarding your answer, I am still not sure that I am asking my question well
    enough. Here's another try:

    My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true that
    when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM installed --
    to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
    exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
    Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be building
    about a year from now?

    I know that I will then have a 32-bit operating system running on 64-bit
    hardware but I guess I can live with that instead of having to then buy a
    second copy (64-bit version) of Vista Ultimate boxed (I want to avoid ever
    buying an OEM version of Windows -- so I never again will have the
    non-transferable OS demon haunting me).

    I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out with these things.

    =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=, Jan 27, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    "> My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true that
    > when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM
    > installed --
    > to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
    > exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
    > Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be
    > building
    > about a year from now?

    NO. Legally, and physically, you will have to have a qualifying, activated
    product installed on your new machine. You cannot legally install your OEM
    XP on your new machine. Therefore you cannot legally install Vista upgrade
    on it.

    You must buy the full version to have a legal install of Vista on your new
    machine.
    John Barnes, Jan 27, 2007
  8. Edwin, you have it all wrong.

    When you buy a retail copy of Vista you are entitled to use either x86 or
    x64 for the one money. You do not have to buy a 64bit edition later. If
    you do not buy Ultimate you have to request a 64bit dvd but that is not the
    same as having to buy Vista all over again. One money, both x86 and x64
    dvd's, one in the box, one on-demand if you want it. If you buy Ultimate
    you get both dvd's right in the box.

    You cannot move an upgrade edition of Vista to a new computer without having
    a legacy version of Windows installed on the new computer. Since you cannot
    move your present XP Home, your plan does not work. Buy a full edition of
    Vista if you want to transfer Vista to a new computer in the future.

    The only way you can escape the OEM trap, as you call it (and I agree), is
    to buy a full edition and break the dependency.

    Of course, there is one workaround. You can buy a full edition of XP Home
    to use as a base for an upgrade edition of Vista, but that would cost more
    than just buying a full edition of Vista.

    The point is that the only way to bread an OEM dependency is with a full
    edition of Windows.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 27, 2007
  9. The Vista Ultimate EULA can be found at
    http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx and includes:

    13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
    software that is eligible
    for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the
    agreement for the software
    you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you
    upgraded from.

    The upgrade is a retail licence. It replaces the qualifying licence and does
    not carry forward any restrictions which may have applied to the qualifying
    licence, OEM or retail. Once the upgrade has been installed the qualifying
    licence, and any previous qualifying licences in the chain, may not legally
    be used.

    15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
    a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the
    software and
    install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this
    license between
    devices.

    So the upgraded licence is transferable to another computer.

    If it is true, as has been said, that upgrade DVDs are not bootable then an
    unbootable Vista installation created from an upgrade disk will be
    unrepairable and there will be no legal way to transfer or reinstall Vista
    since the qualifying product would first have to be reinstalled and
    activated, which would not be legal under the Vista licence terms.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 27, 2007
  10. Edwin wrote:
    > Thanks, Bruce.
    >
    > I am not sure how I am supposed to go about rating a reply. Is it simply
    > answering the question (yes or no) "Did this post answer the question?" or is
    > there a more detailed rating process that I have not been able to find?

    I've no idea what sort of "rating" you're talking about, although it is
    usually considered good "netiquette" to reply and let Usenet responders
    know if their answers were helpful or not. Doing so serves a two-fold
    purpose: (1) It allows others with similar problems/questions searching
    the newsgroup to judge the value of various responses, and (2) it lets
    the responder know that the answer either is useful and therefore worth
    repeating, or unhelpful and in need of further study.

    > Regarding your answer, I am still not sure that I am asking my question well
    > enough. Here's another try:
    >
    > My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true that
    > when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM installed --
    > to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
    > exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
    > Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be building
    > about a year from now?

    You will still possess a valid, transferable license for the retail
    Vista Upgrade. Having used it over an OEM license will not affect that.
    However, as I said, in order to subsequently use that Vista Upgrade
    license on a new computer, there will have to be an older, qualifying
    operating system already installed on that new computer from which you
    can upgrade to Vista.

    > I know that I will then have a 32-bit operating system running on 64-bit
    > hardware but I guess I can live with that instead of having to then buy a
    > second copy (64-bit version) of Vista Ultimate boxed (I want to avoid ever
    > buying an OEM version of Windows -- so I never again will have the
    > non-transferable OS demon haunting me).

    Don't blame you there; I avoid also OEM licenses whenever the situation
    warrants and permits.

    > I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out with these things.

    You're welcome.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jan 27, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    One of those situations Microsoft is going to have to find a solution for.
    Theoretically valid license to transfer to another device, yet unable to
    install it due to the license of the software that is qualifying for the
    first install.

    John Barnes, Jan 27, 2007
  12. On a related note, if I purchase a 32-bit Vista upgrade from an OEM version
    of XP Pro (same computer), could I then switch to 64-bit down the road
    (without charge)? I'm just concerned about short-term software/driver
    compatibility.

    Thanks,
    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?UmljayBF?=, Jan 28, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You would be allowed to switch to 64-bit down the road, but it will require
    a custom installation and would require you to reinstall XP. You would
    probably want to use Windows Easy Transfer to make the transition easier.

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2007
  14. There is no difference whatsoever between the dvd's you get in a retail
    upgrade edition box and what you get in a retail full edition box. All
    retail dvd's are the same and they all boot a computer. You may be
    confusing this with the manner in which the x86 upgrade edition must be run
    once you enter the upgrade edition product key.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 28, 2007

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBB?=, Jan 29, 2007
  16. Sorry, had a problem my previous post...

    Actually, I have an OEM version Windows MCE 2005 installed on my PC (came
    with my HP Pavillon). They didn't gave an original CD, but only the recovery
    DVDs. I have a genuine version with the sticker on my box.

    I have 2 questions:
    1- I wish to install the x86_64 instead of the x86 version of Vista, is it
    possible ?
    2- Also, after watching some differents web sites, it seems that I will not
    be able to install a fresh version of Vista, but only be able to upgrade my
    actual version. I prefer to install a clean one. With the previous versions
    of Windows It was possible, so can I still install a fresh version with the
    upgrade version of Vista ?

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBB?=, Jan 29, 2007
  17. =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    1. You can install the Vista64 version if you want to. You should be
    eligible for the upgrade version if you so desire.
    2. You will be able to have the native Vista bits on your machine, with no
    influence from XP if you chose a custom install. Pretty much like the clean
    install except you cannot format the drive and the old XP bits will be
    folded into a .old file(s). You can delete them and then do what you always
    do with a clean install. Start from scratch.

    Be aware that you may experience more driver and incompatible programs
    problems with Vista64 than with Vista86.

    John Barnes, Jan 29, 2007
  18. With Vista x64 he should be able to format the system drive even though
    Vista x86 doesn't permit it. Since he cannot start the x64 Setup from the
    x86 desktop he has to boot with the x64 dvd. That means that the x86 system
    is not running so its system volume is not in use and is not locked. Format
    should work. Once he has entered the upgrade edition product key the x64
    installer will scan, find the x86 installation, verify it, and then proceed.
    Since he has booted with the dvd the Advanced Options will be available and
    he should be able to format the system drive. As long as the x86 system is
    not running it should work. There should be no need to worry about a
    windows.old unless he selects custom intall and proceeds without the format,
    which he can also do of course.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2007
  19. =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are right, that option should be available with a 64-bit install.

    John Barnes, Jan 29, 2007
  20. Thank you very much. Everything that I have is already working Vista RC2.

    The only problem that I have is the damn remote desktop, It`s not available
    in Home Premium, even if the equivalent in XP (MCE 2005) this function is
    available. Don`t want to pay up to 200$ to get this. Well will find something
    else to replace it...

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBB?=, Jan 29, 2007