    2003)?
    --
    John Franks MIScT, MIAP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA
    JohnB, Jan 25, 2008

  2. JohnB

    John R Guest

    "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I qualified on Windows 2000 several years ago, I work for a fairly small
    > software company which hasn't upgraded to 2003.
    >
    > I have to pass the upgrade exams to 2003 before they retire at the end of
    > March because if I don't there's no upgrade route to the 2008
    > qualifications
    > so I'd have to start from scratch.
    >
    > I know the upgrades have been around for a while now but I think it's far
    > better to actually be working with the technology and have some hands on
    > experience before taking the tests in fact Microsoft themselves advocate
    > this
    > but have made it impossible for me by withdrawing the upgrade and forcing
    > me
    > to become effectively a "paper" MCSE on 2003!

    Not sure I get your point. Yes, you should have some experience with the
    technology prior to getting certified, that has always been a given. And,
    2003 has been around since, well, 2003. However, the 70-292 and 70-296
    tests are about the deltas between 2000 and 2003. Microsoft wants to drop
    support for 2000, hence, they are retiring these exams. However, it is
    still possible to move to 2003 without the upgrade tests. 70-292 is a
    combination of 70-290 and 70-291. 70-296 is a combination of 70-293 and
    70-294. Only 70-292 and 70-296 are retiring. Even though you will now
    have to take 4 tests instead of 2, it is still less than starting from
    scratch. You won't have to take another design, desktop, or open elective.
    Quite honestly, I would prefer this route as you only have half of the
    material to concentrate on at any one time.

    Setup a test lab at home, use Virtual PC to help with hardware costs, play
    with 2003, read a book or two, and I am sure you will be up to speed on 2003
    in no time. In fact, it might not be too late to at least get 70-292 in
    before it retires. I don't think anyone would consider you a "paper" MCSE
    given your experience.

    > Does any one else think there's a need for a fairer upgrade route to 2008
    > from the earlier technologies ( possibly 2 exams from 2000 rather than 1
    > from
    > 2003)?

    Well, I am sure there are those like yourself that feel that way. Given
    that the entire certification program is changing with Vista and 2008 to the
    new renewable MCTS/MCITP structure kind of tells me that there would only be
    an upgrade from 2003. Plus, lets face it, creating new question pools and
    maintaining them is a lot of work for a product that is already eight years
    old and has had all of it's other testing requirements retire (as of March
    2008).

    Good luck to you in whatever path you choose.

    John R
    John R, Jan 25, 2008

  3. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    --

    "John R" wrote:

    > "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    > >I qualified on Windows 2000 several years ago, I work for a fairly small
    > > software company which hasn't upgraded to 2003.
    > >
    > > I have to pass the upgrade exams to 2003 before they retire at the end of
    > > March because if I don't there's no upgrade route to the 2008
    > > qualifications
    > > so I'd have to start from scratch.
    > >
    > > I know the upgrades have been around for a while now but I think it's far
    > > better to actually be working with the technology and have some hands on
    > > experience before taking the tests in fact Microsoft themselves advocate
    > > this
    > > but have made it impossible for me by withdrawing the upgrade and forcing
    > > me
    > > to become effectively a "paper" MCSE on 2003!
    > >

    > Not sure I get your point. Yes, you should have some experience with the
    > technology prior to getting certified, that has always been a given. And,
    > 2003 has been around since, well, 2003. However, the 70-292 and 70-296
    > tests are about the deltas between 2000 and 2003. Microsoft wants to drop
    > support for 2000, hence, they are retiring these exams. However, it is
    > still possible to move to 2003 without the upgrade tests. 70-292 is a
    > combination of 70-290 and 70-291. 70-296 is a combination of 70-293 and
    > 70-294. Only 70-292 and 70-296 are retiring. Even though you will now
    > have to take 4 tests instead of 2, it is still less than starting from
    > scratch. You won't have to take another design, desktop, or open elective.
    > Quite honestly, I would prefer this route as you only have half of the
    > material to concentrate on at any one time.
    >
    > Setup a test lab at home, use Virtual PC to help with hardware costs, play
    > with 2003, read a book or two, and I am sure you will be up to speed on 2003
    > in no time. In fact, it might not be too late to at least get 70-292 in
    > before it retires. I don't think anyone would consider you a "paper" MCSE
    > given your experience.
    >
    > > Does any one else think there's a need for a fairer upgrade route to 2008
    > > from the earlier technologies ( possibly 2 exams from 2000 rather than 1
    > > from
    > > 2003)?

    > Well, I am sure there are those like yourself that feel that way. Given
    > that the entire certification program is changing with Vista and 2008 to the
    > new renewable MCTS/MCITP structure kind of tells me that there would only be
    > an upgrade from 2003. Plus, lets face it, creating new question pools and
    > maintaining them is a lot of work for a product that is already eight years
    > old and has had all of it's other testing requirements retire (as of March
    > 2008).
    >
    > Good luck to you in whatever path you choose.
    >
    > John R

    Thanks for this John R - I hadn't actually twigged that the electives I've
    already got were still valid for the 2003 stream.

    I take your point about Microsoft retiring the 2000 stuff but as I
    understood it the upgrade exams take questions from the two 2003 question
    pool so since these exams are still available the fact that they aren't doing
    2000 anymore shouldn't be relevent. I've bought a couple of "test" exams from
    Measure-up (half price at the moment on the soon to be retired titles) and I
    think you're right and I should be able to at least do the MCSA upgrade
    before it disappears, paticularly since they're offering free retakes at the
    moment, I can at least get a taste of the real exams for nothing.

    If they reflect the "real" exams though it appears that although Microsoft
    are withdrawing Windows 2000 I still need to be able to support systems back
    to Windows 98 and NT4 as several of the test questions include senarios where
    machines running these really archaic operating sytems are connected!

    It would certainly be easier to take the 4 Core modules but of course this
    will cost me twice as much!
    JohnB, Jan 31, 2008