    want to spend more than about 75 bucks (all inclusive) for a CPU. Which
    Athlon XP would you recommend to get me a significant boost in
    performance but which is friendly to the wallet and my budget ? Thanks!

    Daniel, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Daniel

    bmoag Guest

    You should not waste your money that way on such old technology.
    Going from the 1800 to the 2400 processor will not give you visibly improved
    results. Probably no CPU upgrade is worthwhile in that older line. If you
    insist see if your motherboard is compatible with the newer Sempron
    processors as these are actually enhanced Athlon XPs and are the end of the
    line for that CPU class.
    You would probably be best off increasing your RAM and not much else as the
    best bang for $75.

    bmoag, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    bmoag wrote:
    > You should not waste your money that way on such old technology.
    > Going from the 1800 to the 2400 processor will not give you visibly improved
    > results. Probably no CPU upgrade is worthwhile in that older line. If you
    > insist see if your motherboard is compatible with the newer Sempron
    > processors as these are actually enhanced Athlon XPs and are the end of the
    > line for that CPU class.
    > You would probably be best off increasing your RAM and not much else as the
    > best bang for $75.

    Ok, thanks but I thought the Duron is a real bottleneck while the
    Athlon is a much better choice, even if it's in the older line ?

    Anyway, thanks for your reply.

    Daniel, Sep 2, 2006