    name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??

    Much obliged J

    ---
    jusuk, Apr 28, 2004

  2. jusuk

    Thor Guest

    If you are upgrading from a K6 500 chip, you'll need a whole new
    motherboard, and newer memory modules, because yours K6 500 is Socket 7, not
    Socket "A".

    "jusuk" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And

    what

    Thor, Apr 28, 2004

  3. jusuk

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "jusuk" <> wrote in

    > Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And
    > what name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??

    If it truly is a socket A board (which means this is new, as the K6 is
    Super Socket 7 and not Socket A) it could be any speed from 600 mhz through
    2.2 ghz. It could also be a Duron (spitfire core), Duron (morgan core),
    Athlon, Athlon4, Athlon XP (Palamino, Thoroughbred, or Barton cores), of
    varying speeds.

    You need to consult your motherboard manual for the list of front side bus
    speeds, multipliers, and CPUs supported. If you don't understand what any
    of this is, you honestly should let someone else upgrade your computer for
    you.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Apr 28, 2004
  4. jusuk

    jusuk Guest

    Thor <> wrote in message
    > If you are upgrading from a K6 500 chip, you'll need a whole new
    > motherboard, and newer memory modules, because yours K6 500 is Socket 7,

    not
    > Socket "A".
    >

    > ..
    > "jusuk" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And

    > what
    > > name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??
    > >
    > > Much obliged J

    Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
    information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3 years old
    or so?

    ---
    jusuk, Apr 28, 2004
  5. jusuk

    jusuk Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message
    > "jusuk" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Anyone know what speed of AMD I just plug into the socket a board. And
    > > what name i.e. Athlon, Duron etc??

    > If it truly is a socket A board (which means this is new, as the K6 is
    > Super Socket 7 and not Socket A) it could be any speed from 600 mhz

    through
    > 2.2 ghz. It could also be a Duron (spitfire core), Duron (morgan core),
    > Athlon, Athlon4, Athlon XP (Palamino, Thoroughbred, or Barton cores), of
    > varying speeds.
    >
    > You need to consult your motherboard manual for the list of front side bus
    > speeds, multipliers, and CPUs supported. If you don't understand what any
    > of this is, you honestly should let someone else upgrade your computer for
    > you.
    >
    > --

    Thanks, J

    ---
    jusuk, Apr 28, 2004
  6. jusuk

    Thor Guest

    > Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
    > information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3 years

    old
    > or so?

    Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6 500Mhz.
    It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6 chips
    used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards pretty
    much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.
    Thor, Apr 28, 2004
  7. jusuk

    jusuk Guest

    Thor <> wrote in message

    > > Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
    > > information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3 years

    > old
    > > or so?

    > Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6 500Mhz.
    > It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6 chips
    > used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards

    pretty
    > much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.

    Did I mention I'm in the UK and it was a very cheap computer. In System Info
    (W98 SE) it definetly says AMD K6 with 3D something or other.

    ---
    jusuk, Apr 28, 2004
  8. jusuk

    AdamC Guest

    "jusuk" <> wrote in message

    > Thor <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > > Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
    > > > information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3

    years
    > > old
    > > > or so?

    > > Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6 500Mhz.
    > > It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6 chips
    > > used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards

    > pretty
    > > much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.
    > >

    > Did I mention I'm in the UK and it was a very cheap computer. In System

    Info
    > (W98 SE) it definetly says AMD K6 with 3D something or other.

    That would be AMD K6-2 with 3D Now! technology. That was my first computer
    in 1999!

    Adam
    AdamC, Apr 28, 2004
  9. jusuk

    Thor Guest

    "jusuk" <> wrote in message

    > Thor <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > > Ah, that might explain why I was having so much trouble searching for
    > > > information. However it looks a lot like Socket A and it is only 3

    years
    > > old
    > > > or so?

    > > Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6 500Mhz.
    > > It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6 chips
    > > used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards

    > pretty
    > > much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.
    > >

    > Did I mention I'm in the UK and it was a very cheap computer. In System

    Info
    > (W98 SE) it definetly says AMD K6 with 3D something or other.

    Hope it was *very* cheap. Because it was *very* old stock that someone sold
    you. Whatever the case, you are talking a new motherboard, processor, and
    memory to upgrade.
    Thor, Apr 28, 2004
  10. jusuk

    jusuk Guest

    Thor <> wrote in message

    > "jusuk" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Thor <> wrote in message

    for

    > years
    > > > old
    > > >
    > > > Well, if it's that new then it's doubtful that your chip is a K6

    500Mhz.
    > > > It's more likely an Athlon processor, which would use Socket A. K6

    chips
    > > > used Socket 7. While the sockets do look similar, the socket 7 boards

    > > pretty
    > > > much disappeared from the shelves at least 5-6 years ago.
    > > >

    > > Did I mention I'm in the UK and it was a very cheap computer. In System

    > Info
    > > (W98 SE) it definetly says AMD K6 with 3D something or other.

    > Hope it was *very* cheap. Because it was *very* old stock that someone

    sold
    > you. Whatever the case, you are talking a new motherboard, processor, and
    > memory to upgrade.

    £300, thanks, looks like overclocking is the way to go?

    ---
    jusuk, Apr 29, 2004
  11. jusuk

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "jusuk" <> wrote in news:0P3kc.98$7n5.13@newsfe1-
    win:

    > œ300, thanks, looks like overclocking is the way to go?

    You aren't going to overclock your K6-2 500mhz CPU much farther than 550mhz
    tops, so I wouldn't even waste your time.

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 29, 2004
  12. jusuk

    > "jusuk" <> wrote in news:0P3kc.98$7n5.13@newsfe1-
    > win:
    >
    > > o300, thanks, looks like overclocking is the way to go?

    > You aren't going to overclock your K6-2 500mhz CPU much farther than

    550mhz
    > tops, so I wouldn't even waste your time.
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    Thanks. Oh well but to jumpy 40fps DVD playback! Unless there is some other
    clever suggestions (finally I actually tell you what the problem is).

    ---
    jusuk, Apr 30, 2004
  13. jusuk

    Thor Guest

    > > win:
    > >
    > > > o300, thanks, looks like overclocking is the way to go?

    > > You aren't going to overclock your K6-2 500mhz CPU much farther than

    > 550mhz
    > > tops, so I wouldn't even waste your time.
    > >
    > > --
    > > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > > AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    > Thanks. Oh well but to jumpy 40fps DVD playback! Unless there is some

    other
    > clever suggestions (finally I actually tell you what the problem is).

    Have you checked to see if your DVD drive is running in DMA mode? The
    K62-500 should be fast enough for smooth software decoding.
    Thor, Apr 30, 2004
  14. jusuk

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > Have you checked to see if your DVD drive is running in DMA mode? The
    > K62-500 should be fast enough for smooth software decoding.

    Also check for background programs and spyware that could be taking up CPU
    time. Another question is he says 40 fps. DVDs are what, like 29.97 fps?

    DeMoN LaG, May 1, 2004
  15. jusuk

    jusuk Guest

    Thor <> wrote in message

    > "jusuk" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message
    > > > "jusuk" <> wrote in

    > > > win:

    > > > You aren't going to overclock your K6-2 500mhz CPU much farther than

    > > 550mhz
    > > > tops, so I wouldn't even waste your time.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > > > AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    > > Thanks. Oh well but to jumpy 40fps DVD playback! Unless there is some

    > other
    > > clever suggestions (finally I actually tell you what the problem is).

    > Have you checked to see if your DVD drive is running in DMA mode? The
    > K62-500 should be fast enough for smooth software decoding.

    Yes it is in DMA. Maybe it is more like 20fps (anyway it is a little jumpy)
    and it crashes occaisionally.
    jusuk, May 1, 2004
  16. jusuk

    Thor Guest

    "jusuk" <> wrote in message

    > Thor <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "jusuk" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message

    > > > 550mhz

    > > > Thanks. Oh well but to jumpy 40fps DVD playback! Unless there is some

    > > other
    > > > clever suggestions (finally I actually tell you what the problem is).

    > > Have you checked to see if your DVD drive is running in DMA mode? The
    > > K62-500 should be fast enough for smooth software decoding.
    > >

    > Yes it is in DMA. Maybe it is more like 20fps (anyway it is a little

    jumpy)
    > and it crashes occaisionally.

    Check your background apps. Something may be running in the background that
    is hogging CPU time and memory. Also make sure your video drivers are up to
    date. You may also try a different DVD playback program.
    Thor, May 2, 2004
  17. jusuk

    jusuk Guest

    Thor <> wrote in message

    > "jusuk" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Thor <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "jusuk" <> wrote in message

    than

    some
    > > > other

    is).

    > > > Have you checked to see if your DVD drive is running in DMA mode? The
    > > > K62-500 should be fast enough for smooth software decoding.
    > > >

    > > Yes it is in DMA. Maybe it is more like 20fps (anyway it is a little

    > jumpy)
    > > and it crashes occaisionally.

    > Check your background apps. Something may be running in the background

    that
    > is hogging CPU time and memory. Also make sure your video drivers are up

    > date. You may also try a different DVD playback program.

    Cheers, J

    ---
    jusuk, May 2, 2004