Upgarding to Digital

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bigfeet, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. bigfeet

    bigfeet Guest

    I am currently happily using an EOS 3 with
    28mm f2.8
    50mm f1.8
    100mm f2

    I shoot mostly Provia 100 but as most of my photography is travel
    related it can be a real pain trying to keep it cool (the Rajestani
    desert is not an ideal film environment!). Plus not being able to view
    my photos until several months after Ive taken them does not aid the
    learning process. Another fact that is pushing me towards digital is
    the ability to instantly change ISO.

    I will be spending another five months backpacking in Asia, come
    October, and am so considering the upgrade.

    My current choice of bodies is between 350D and the new 30D. There are
    several things that are pushing me towards the 350D but any input would

    be much appreciated.

    -Im not sure the leap in price would justify me spending money I need
    for travel on the 30D as opposed to its cheaper and lighter brother

    350D
    Pros:
    - lighter (an advantage as I'll have to lug it every where)
    - Cheaper
    - Inbuilt flash (not that I'll ever use it)

    Cons
    - Less robust
    - No spot metering

    30D
    Pros:
    - Spot metering (a big one for me)
    - Build quality
    - greater fps
    - ISO 3200

    Cons
    - Cost
    - Weight

    Am I missing anything major that justifies the 30Ds big step up in
    price?

    The other factor that is making me doubt the whole idea (why oh why
    isnt the 30Ds sensor full size!?) is the fact that I will need to by an

    ultra wide prime to replace the 28mm that has now become a 45mm. Can
    anyone suggest a lens comparable quality wise to the ones I already
    have? Does such a lens exist or would I have to buy a zoom?

    Also:
    -What size print (and file size) can I reasonably expect from an 8
    megapixel camera?

    -I have seen both the 350D and the 30D a couple of hundred dollars
    cheaper, than here in Australia, if imported from Hong Kong through
    Ebay. The traders all have very good ratings but I must be missing out
    on something right? The warrenty I guess but anything else?

    A lot of questions I know but your help would be much appreciated.

    Matt

    bigfeet, Aug 9, 2006

  2. bigfeet

    tomm42 Guest

    bigfeet wrote:
    > I am currently happily using an EOS 3 with
    > 28mm f2.8
    > 50mm f1.8
    > 100mm f2
    >
    > I shoot mostly Provia 100 but as most of my photography is travel
    > related it can be a real pain trying to keep it cool (the Rajestani
    > desert is not an ideal film environment!). Plus not being able to view
    > my photos until several months after Ive taken them does not aid the
    > learning process. Another fact that is pushing me towards digital is
    > the ability to instantly change ISO.
    >

    > I will be spending another five months backpacking in Asia, come
    > October, and am so considering the upgrade.
    >

    > My current choice of bodies is between 350D and the new 30D. There are
    > several things that are pushing me towards the 350D but any input would
    >
    > be much appreciated.
    >

    > -Im not sure the leap in price would justify me spending money I need
    > for travel on the 30D as opposed to its cheaper and lighter brother
    >

    > 350D
    > Pros:
    > - lighter (an advantage as I'll have to lug it every where)
    > - Cheaper
    > - Inbuilt flash (not that I'll ever use it)
    >

    > Cons
    > - Less robust
    > - No spot metering
    >

    > 30D
    > Pros:
    > - Spot metering (a big one for me)
    > - Build quality
    > - greater fps
    > - ISO 3200
    >

    > Cons
    > - Cost
    > - Weight
    >

    > Am I missing anything major that justifies the 30Ds big step up in
    > price?
    >

    > The other factor that is making me doubt the whole idea (why oh why
    > isnt the 30Ds sensor full size!?) is the fact that I will need to by an
    >
    > ultra wide prime to replace the 28mm that has now become a 45mm. Can
    > anyone suggest a lens comparable quality wise to the ones I already
    > have? Does such a lens exist or would I have to buy a zoom?
    >

    > Also:
    > -What size print (and file size) can I reasonably expect from an 8
    > megapixel camera?
    >

    > -I have seen both the 350D and the 30D a couple of hundred dollars
    > cheaper, than here in Australia, if imported from Hong Kong through
    > Ebay. The traders all have very good ratings but I must be missing out
    > on something right? The warrenty I guess but anything else?
    >

    > A lot of questions I know but your help would be much appreciated.
    >

    > Matt

    Matt,
    I'd go with the 30D, it isn't that heavy, it is just the 350D is
    extemely light. Check the feel of the shutter, bet the 350D will
    vibrate slightly with each exposure. Bottom end Canon cameras have done
    this for a while. I also found the 350D unacceptable because I have big
    hands.
    You need a 16 or 17mm lens to replace the 28mm. Canon has a 16 prime,
    Tokina makes (may have discontinued) a 17mm that is a decent lens.
    Canon makes two or three zooms that cover that range too.
    The reason the 30D doesn't have a 35mm sized sensor is that these
    sensors cost on the order of 10x the standard DSLR sensor, the
    electronics necessary are also more expensive. So for a bottom end 35mm
    sized sensor you have the 5D.
    Your 8mp camera will make a 24mb file, it should make very good 16x20s,
    will do 20x30s in a pinch. Big enlargements from digital files look
    better than from 35mm for the most part. Under 8x10 film may look a
    little better. I printed wide format for a studio for 4 years and have
    seen a lot of film and digital files.
    Last winter when I was looking for a camera, I was coming from a Canon
    FD system, so I had no lenses etc, to influence my choice. I looked at
    the 20D, used a friends, and decided the 350D was a toy. Ended up with
    a D200 Nikon, it was a complex decision though, it was the camera that
    felt the best to me and I don't shoot high ISO much.

    Good luck
    Tom

    tomm42, Aug 9, 2006

  3. bigfeet

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "bigfeet" <> wrote in message
    >I am currently happily using an EOS 3 with
    > 28mm f2.8
    > 50mm f1.8
    > 100mm f2
    >

    > I will be spending another five months backpacking in Asia, come
    > October, and am so considering the upgrade.
    >

    > My current choice of bodies is between 350D and the new 30D. There are
    > several things that are pushing me towards the 350D but any input would

    I have both. I used the 350D for 16 months and then bought a 30D - to get
    5fps and the reduced noise. There are several other benefits to the 30D, it
    is certainly a more substantial body and the shutter sounds like the
    photographic version of the clunk on the door of a well built car - but it
    is bigger and heavier. I have had an offer on the 350D but will be keeping
    it. It is so much smaller and lighter that I shall be using it when out on
    my mountain bike. The kit lens (18-55mm, same lens in both kits) is light
    and ok when used at f8.

    Value for money? The 30D is not twice the price of the 350D yet the shutter
    is rated at 100 000 compared with 50 000 for the 350D. If I could have only
    one of them? The 30D.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Aug 9, 2006
  4. bigfeet

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    Matt,

    Don't forget that with a digital camera you are more dependent on
    electricity. You will need to charge your battery once in a while.

    You will probably also want a device to offload your pictures from your
    memory cards to a disk or cd.

    If you are out in the field this may be another challenge.

    Gadi

    Gadi Ben-Avi, Aug 10, 2006
  5. bigfeet

    Bill Guest

    Gadi Ben-Avi wrote:

    >Don't forget that with a digital camera you are more dependent on
    >electricity.

    I used to think like that too...always worried that I had to have a
    laptop, a place to recharge, etc. It's just paranoia about new
    technology though.

    It doesn't take long to learn that digital is a lot more convenient and
    fun than film.

    >You will need to charge your battery once in a while.

    Same applies to film cameras, unless you're using an ancient manual film
    camera that does not take any kind of battery. That's pretty rare these
    days.

    And if you're in the middle of the Serengeti, you'll have extra
    batteries.

    >You will probably also want a device to offload your pictures from your
    >memory cards to a disk or cd.

    Why? With film you had to have enough rolls to cover your shoot. The
    same applies to digital.

    If you shoot jpg, you can expect to get the equivalent of 24 rolls of
    film on a common 2gig card, about 300 photos. The typical consumer will
    not be using raw, and will not be filling their memory cards in a daily
    shoot.

    A pro at Disneyland or someone in the middle of the Serengeti will have
    enough memory cards for the trip. They might have a laptop or an iPod to
    download their photos, but it's not essential.

    Little has changed with digital - we simply have more options and more
    control over how we handle the photos than we had with film.

    Bill, Aug 10, 2006
  6. bigfeet

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:05:07 +0200, "Gadi Ben-Avi" <>
    wrote:

    >Matt,
    >
    >Don't forget that with a digital camera you are more dependent on
    >electricity. You will need to charge your battery once in a while.

    An extra battery is very cheap insurance against running out of power.
    Especially considering the cost of the DSLR body and lens(es).
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Aug 10, 2006
  7. bigfeet

    bigfeet Guest

    Thank you everyone for the help so far.

    Having wandered into a shop and handled both the 30D and 350D I am
    still leaning towards the 350D, most likely as a short term solution,
    probably upgrading to a 30D once I get home. I simply cannot justify
    the extra cash for the 30D right now as I need the money to travel.

    The hard part is still lenses. While in principle I prefer primes,
    thinking back to the last eight months of travel before I arrived
    Australia and started working, what I have realised is that I missed a
    few potentially good shots scrambling to change lenses.

    I think I am going to have to sacrifice some quality and purchase a
    17-85 4.5 - 5.6. With the IS, increased ISO and my existing lenses I
    should be able to cover most situations. I can get the 350D and the 17
    - 85 bundled for AU$2000.

    The other alternative is the 17-40 f4 but again the step up in price is
    not very attractive. What are your thoughts on these two lenses? Any
    alternative around the same price range. What about the Sigma 15-30
    f3.5-4.5?

    Good quality results are important to me but finacial constraints mean
    that I may have to be satisfied with lower quality than usual.

    The range on either of the above would make a good "walk around" lens.

    The photos I take when travelling are very broadly ranged. From the
    insides of darkened temples requiring wide angles (tripods are not
    always allowed), portraits (for which I'll continue to use the 100mm f2
    as well as landscapes and even some low light work at night time
    festivals and weddings.

    Also, If shooting RAW and JPEG how many shots could i expect to fit on
    say a 1GB card?

    Since I hope to be covering 4 countries over 5 months (Indonesia,
    Thailand, Tibet and Nepal) it really is a simple choice of either
    equipment of time spent travelling.

    Thanks again for all the help.

    Matt

    bigfeet, Aug 15, 2006