    what updates were software and driver updates were available. Is there anything
    like that out there nowadays to make it easier updating? Thanks.

    , Aug 22, 2007

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >Used to be a program/service called CatchUp, which scanned the system and listed
    >what updates were software and driver updates were available. Is there anything
    >like that out there nowadays to make it easier updating? Thanks.

    BigFix might be what your looking for.
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/208920 (not sure if this is really the
    file) or if you have to subscribe. (google it)

    BigFix was installed on my gateway system, to do just what your
    asking.
    --

    Photo taken With and Without Flash
    http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1096/2137a9950nf3.jpg

    , Aug 22, 2007

  3. Richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Used to be a program/service called CatchUp, which scanned the system and
    >>listed
    >>what updates were software and driver updates were available. Is there
    >>anything
    >>like that out there nowadays to make it easier updating? Thanks.

    > BigFix might be what your looking for.
    > http://www.tucows.com/preview/208920 (not sure if this is really the
    > file) or if you have to subscribe. (google it)
    >
    > BigFix was installed on my gateway system, to do just what your
    > asking.

    There will be no more updates for BigFix Free Consumer Edition from the end
    of this month.

    http://help.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=9

    Richard, Aug 22, 2007
  4. Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Used to be a program/service called CatchUp, which scanned the system and
    >>>listed
    >>>what updates were software and driver updates were available. Is there
    >>>anything
    >>>like that out there nowadays to make it easier updating? Thanks.

    >> BigFix might be what your looking for.
    >> http://www.tucows.com/preview/208920 (not sure if this is really the
    >> file) or if you have to subscribe. (google it)
    >>
    >> BigFix was installed on my gateway system, to do just what your
    >> asking.

    >There will be no more updates for BigFix Free Consumer Edition from the end
    >of this month.
    >
    >http://help.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=9

    I never knew. I like to maintain a semblance of control over my OS :)

    One way is to know what is being installed or updated, I disabled
    BigFix the first day.

    Free Consumer Edition is being discontinued. My Bigfix was installed
    by Gateway and I'm pretty sure they had a contract with them so BigFix
    should still work on those machines.

    It was a try.
    --

    The secret history of the Nazi mascot