    not the Windows update one.
    Regards
    Lee
    Lee Davison, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Lee Davison

    Harrison Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:37:48 +0000 (UTC), "Lee Davison" <> wrote:

    >Win 2000, MSOE 5, IE5
    >Yesterday I had a lengthy download of the latest Windows 2000 update taking
    >about 2 hours. I come to connect to the internet today and it connects but I
    >get page cannot be displayed and it will not download emails. The only
    >reason Im connected now is because I had the prescence of mind (for once) to
    >backup my system settings a couple of days ago which Ive just reloaded.
    >Whats the point in downloading an update that cuts me off from the inet, I
    >cant access it at work so I need to know if MS have realeased a patch
    >solving this cut off and download it in advance, before im cut off.
    >Could someone kindly point me in the right direction, I did download a
    >patch from MS but it turns out to be the wrong one, its the OE6 patch I got,
    >not the Windows update one.
    >Regards
    >Lee

    What patch or patches were installed?
    Based on you having IE5, you should have been offered Service Pack 4.
    Was that what caused the problems?
    Reconnect to the update site and see what's offered.
    Download and install each one independently and test the machine after each restart.
    Try to pin it down to a specific update.
    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Lee Davison

    ilmc Guest

    Lee Davison typed:
    > Win 2000, MSOE 5, IE5
    > Yesterday I had a lengthy download of the latest Windows 2000 update
    > taking about 2 hours. I come to connect to the internet today and it
    > connects but I get page cannot be displayed and it will not download
    > emails. The only reason Im connected now is because I had the
    > prescence of mind (for once) to backup my system settings a couple of
    > days ago which Ive just reloaded. Whats the point in downloading an
    > update that cuts me off from the inet, I cant access it at work so I
    > need to know if MS have realeased a patch solving this cut off and
    > download it in advance, before im cut off.
    > Could someone kindly point me in the right direction, I did download
    > a patch from MS but it turns out to be the wrong one, its the OE6
    > patch I got, not the Windows update one.
    > Regards
    > Lee

    You may have valid reasons for not using the latest updates, but IE6sp1
    (with cumulative patches (sigh) ) works on my w2kpro
    ilmc, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Lee Davison

    Lee Davison Guest

    I have tried once with Windows 2000 service pack 4 Express and also once
    with Direct X 9 End User. Installing both updates causes the internet to
    stop. I had the same problem early last week when I tried OE6.
    Regards
    Lee
    Lee Davison, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Lee Davison

    Harrison Guest

    My guess would be that the updates are changing something your BT connection settings.
    Call them and ask to see if they know of any issues with updates and connection problems.

    Also, check your network settings before and after an update. Are there differences?

    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Lee Davison

    ilmc Guest

    Lee Davison typed:
    > I have tried once with Windows 2000 service pack 4 Express and also
    > once with Direct X 9 End User. Installing both updates causes the
    > internet to stop. I had the same problem early last week when I tried
    > OE6.
    > Regards
    > Lee

    Er, clutching at straws, but MS keep " improving" default security settings
    with each new patch. Have the defaults changed to keep you off the net?
    Don't think DirectX will be your problem, but then....
    HTH, but I won't be holding my breath.
    ilmc, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Lee Davison

    Lee Davison Guest

    You see, im actually on the net, I just cant view it. I mean the computers
    are there in the corner, flashing occasionally so i know im connected,
    something just wont let me view the pages or download the emails. Ill try
    Harrisons earlier advice on downloading each in turn and if it works ill
    save my setting after each and report back.
    Lee

    Lee Davison, Feb 13, 2004
  8. Lee Davison

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:28:24 +0000 (UTC), "Lee Davison"
    <> wrote:

    >You see, im actually on the net, I just cant view it. I mean the computers
    >are there in the corner, flashing occasionally so i know im connected,
    >something just wont let me view the pages or download the emails. Ill try
    >Harrisons earlier advice on downloading each in turn and if it works ill
    >save my setting after each and report back.
    >Lee

    The computers flashing just mean that you're physically connected. I
    wouldn't expect an MS update to alter *that* particular fact. But you
    never know... Anyways, what would be more useful to know is whether
    the update messes with your netwok settings. I would strongly doubt
    it, but you should run "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt before
    and after the update, and see if anything has changed. Also try
    pinging your default gateway and make sure that works.

    I'm more inclined to believe that the updates are screwing with your
    browser and e-mail programs.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 13, 2004