Updating video drivers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ionizer, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    I've got a Radeon 9800 video card with drivers dated 20/02/2003 and I'm
    wanting to update to the latest ATI drivers in an attempt to make "Doom
    III" playable on my system, but I've never done this before. The update
    wizard downloaded and installed newer drivers from Windows Update, but
    they are dated 12/12/2003, so they aren't the latest. So I've downloaded
    the current driver exe file from ATI and it seems that I need to do a
    manual install which requires me to first uninstall my current drivers and
    reboot the computer.

    So my first question, and laugh at me if you must, is: if I do as
    instructed and uninstall my current video drivers and reboot, how is it
    that I will be able to see anything on my monitor prior to installing the
    new drivers? I have visions of a blank screen and more grey hairs.

    Also: in Device Manager, under "Display adapters," I appear to have two
    video cards listed under slightly different names, as follows:

    128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800 sec Location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
    128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1

    Why are two devices listed here?

    Thanks,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Hello,

    We would advise to NEVER install ANY video drivers updates from the
    WINDOWS UPDATE site EVER.

    In many cases you will loose serious functionality of some video cards.

    The best way is to go to the VC manufacturer's website and download the
    latest and greatest drivers from their site. In many cases the drivers have
    their own setup program that should make updating seamless without any
    serious problems.

    Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

    --
    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    Technical Support Team

    Check out some of the items we are offering
    Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
    Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

    Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Ionizer

    Lazarus Guest

    When you highlight each driver and choose remove and then reboot the pc will
    use a windows "standard vga adapter" so your screen will drop in resolution
    so expect everything to look horrible until you install the new drivers and
    reboot.

    I too have the same problem with windows update .....I think it is because
    windows update is showing you the latest driver which is WHQL certified
    whereas the newer drivers from ati`s site may not be certified by microsfot
    yet.

    On saying this when I used the ones on ati`s site I got problems and
    reverted back to the ones on the windows update site!

    Try the ati ones and if you have any problems you will be able to get the
    windows update ones and by that time you`ll be an expert anyway ;o)

    I am assuming you are using win xp but if by chance you are using win98se
    then reboot and press F8 repeatedly to go into safe mode BEFORE YOU REMOVE
    THE DRIVERS FROM DEVICE MANAGER and then when the pc reboots and looks for a
    new driver CANCEL IT and let the desktop load....then click the new drivers
    ..exe file!

    Lazarus, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Ionizer

    Parko Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > I've got a Radeon 9800 video card with drivers dated 20/02/2003 and I'm
    > wanting to update to the latest ATI drivers in an attempt to make "Doom
    > III" playable on my system, but I've never done this before. The update
    > wizard downloaded and installed newer drivers from Windows Update, but
    > they are dated 12/12/2003, so they aren't the latest. So I've downloaded
    > the current driver exe file from ATI and it seems that I need to do a
    > manual install which requires me to first uninstall my current drivers and
    > reboot the computer.
    >
    > So my first question, and laugh at me if you must, is: if I do as
    > instructed and uninstall my current video drivers and reboot, how is it
    > that I will be able to see anything on my monitor prior to installing the
    > new drivers? I have visions of a blank screen and more grey hairs.
    >
    > Also: in Device Manager, under "Display adapters," I appear to have two
    > video cards listed under slightly different names, as follows:
    >
    > 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800 sec Location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
    > 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1
    >
    > Why are two devices listed here?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ian.

    Grab the goodies from here and follow the bouncing ball. Easy really.
    You do have two video cards technically. One is your motherboards on
    board video, the other your video card. Try disabling on board video in
    the BIOS
    http://tinyurl.com/5acwd
    --
    Parko
    http://www.killertomatoes.com/mainFlash.asp

    Parko, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Ionizer

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:24:20 -0400, "Ionizer" <> wrote:

    |>So my first question, and laugh at me if you must, is: if I do as
    |>instructed and uninstall my current video drivers and reboot, how is it
    |>that I will be able to see anything on my monitor prior to installing the
    |>new drivers? I have visions of a blank screen and more grey hairs.

    You will default to VGA: 640X480 and 256 colors.
    All video cards must handle this resolution. (to be compliant to the
    Vesa standard.)

    Safe Mode is VGA as no drivers have been loaded.

    Pennywise, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Ionizer

    ICee Guest

    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We would advise

    *TINW*

    ICee, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Ionizer

    ICee Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    [snip]

    > Also: in Device Manager, under "Display adapters," I appear to have
    > two video cards listed under slightly different names, as follows:
    >
    > 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800 sec Location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
    > 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1
    >
    > Why are two devices listed here?

    There are dual outputs on the card: VGA and DVI. The system sees this
    as another video card, since you can use both outputs at the same time
    with two monitors.

    ICee, Aug 7, 2004
  8. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a Radeon 9800 video card with drivers dated 20/02/2003...

    Thanks to all for the reassuring and insightful responses. I've bravely
    taken the plunge and updated my video card drivers, and all seems well.
    Following the update, my card is now listed as a Radeon 9800 Pro in Device
    Manager. That must be a good thing. I'm going to launch Doom III shortly
    and hope that this update process has done the trick. And speaking of
    tricks: http://cheats.gamespot.com/469881-Doom-3

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 8, 2004
  9. Ionizer

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 11:16:59 -0400, "Ionizer" <> wrote:

    |>"Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    |>> I've got a Radeon 9800 video card with drivers dated 20/02/2003...
    |>
    |>Thanks to all for the reassuring and insightful responses. I've bravely
    |>taken the plunge and updated my video card drivers, and all seems well.
    |>Following the update, my card is now listed as a Radeon 9800 Pro in Device
    |>Manager. That must be a good thing. I'm going to launch Doom III shortly
    |>and hope that this update process has done the trick. And speaking of
    |>tricks: http://cheats.gamespot.com/469881-Doom-3

    You missed a real important one:

    Under the crazy presumption that a roll of duct tape has to exist
    somewhere on the Mars facility, the Duct Tape mod allows you to do the
    obvious, and stick a flashlight onto to your machinegun.

    http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/ducttape0001.zip

    I wish you luck...

    Pennywise, Aug 8, 2004