    Assuming this means the wanted file is not there, I wonder what I should
    do to acquire it?

    Philip
    Philip, Oct 22, 2006

  2. Philip

    Earl Grey Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Thought I would have a look at this pre-release, but the upodate fell
    > over with
    >
    > Failed to fetch
    > ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/ubuntu/plf/dists/dapper/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    > Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
    > Failed to fetch
    > ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions...dists/dapper/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    > Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
    >
    > Assuming this means the wanted file is not there, I wonder what I should
    > do to acquire it?
    >
    > Philip

    You could probably just comment out that archive in your
    /etc/apt/sources.list or disable it in synaptic then update.
    Its not an official repositary, you probably added it to get some
    codecs, or used automatix.
    Earl Grey, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Philip

    Rob Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Thought I would have a look at this pre-release, but the upodate fell
    > over with
    >
    > Failed to fetch
    > ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/ubuntu/plf/dists/dapper/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    > Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
    > Failed to fetch
    > ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions...dists/dapper/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    > Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
    >
    > Assuming this means the wanted file is not there, I wonder what I should
    > do to acquire it?
    >
    > Philip

    I updated with this guide. The first method choked but the second worked
    fine.

    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=227052&highlight=dapper to edgy

    --
    Rob

    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
    human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    (Mitch Radcliffe)
    Rob, Oct 22, 2006
  4. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >> Thought I would have a look at this pre-release, but the upodate fell
    >> over with
    >>
    >> Failed to fetch
    >> ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/ubuntu/plf/dists/dapper/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    >> Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
    >> Failed to fetch
    >> ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions...dists/dapper/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    >> Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
    >>
    >> Assuming this means the wanted file is not there, I wonder what I
    >> should do to acquire it?
    >>
    >> Philip

    > You could probably just comment out that archive in your
    > /etc/apt/sources.list or disable it in synaptic then update.
    > Its not an official repositary, you probably added it to get some
    > codecs, or used automatix.

    many thanks - that was all it needed. Now running Edgy Beta, with no
    discernible problems. The wallpaper seems to have disappeared, but I
    will maybe substitute one of my own.

    More as I find it.

    Philip
    Philip, Oct 22, 2006
  5. Philip

    Enkidu Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Thought I would have a look at this pre-release, but the upodate fell
    > over with
    >
    > Failed to fetch
    > ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/ubuntu/plf/dists/dapper/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    > Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
    > Failed to fetch
    > ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions...dists/dapper/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    > Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
    >
    > Assuming this means the wanted file is not there, I wonder what I should
    > do to acquire it?

    Well, the name says "dapper" and you are ugrading to Edgy. As you found
    out (another post), you didn't need them. However, those sorts of error
    are normally temporary. When someone tells the repository owner, they
    will usually take steps to remedy the situation. Maybe you caught it in
    the middle of an update?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 23, 2006