    I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

    JohnV, Dec 10, 2003

  2. JohnV

    Brian H¹© Guest

    JohnV said:

    > I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    > 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    > fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

    The crystal ball is away for a wash 'n' wax, maybe you could say what you have
    and what you want to get?
    The power unit isn't necessarily an obvious thing to have to change, but the cpu
    fan is, as you will need one that not only fits the cpu, but can handle the
    extra heat.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 10, 2003

  3. JohnV

    Soup Guest

    JohnV wrote:
    > I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    > 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and
    > cpu fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

    Can the new MB accept your memory ?

    --
    Yours S.
    addy not usable (not that you would try it)

    Soup, Dec 10, 2003
  4. JohnV

    philo Guest

    "JohnV" <> wrote in message
    > I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    > 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    > fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

    Yes...if you plan to use the same harddrive with your present OS...
    you may have problems with the new hardware...especially with win2k

    You should go into the control panel and delete as many of your devices
    as possible just before putting the drive on the new mobo...
    then let windows redetect...

    you may need to do a reapair installtion or "install-over" if the system
    won;t
    boot up

    philo, Dec 10, 2003
  5. JohnV

    mark mandel Guest

    "JohnV" <> wrote in message
    > I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    > 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    > fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

    Yeah, if it's Win XP, you can be virtually guaranteed to doing a
    repair/install operation. Read about this on
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Dec 10, 2003
  6. JohnV

    Brian H¹© Guest

    philo said:

    > "JohnV" <> wrote in message
    >> I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    >> 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    >> fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    >>

    > Yes...if you plan to use the same harddrive with your present OS...
    > you may have problems with the new hardware...especially with win2k

    Just curious, but why do you say "especially with win2k?
    I put off upgrading to 2k for months and months because of hearing about how
    there could be countless problems due to drivers, yet I have never, ever, had a
    single compatibilty problem, and wish that I had not listened to anybody all
    those months earlier.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 10, 2003
  7. JohnV

    JohnV Guest

    Soup wrote:

    >JohnV wrote:
    >

    >>I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    >>2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and
    >>cpu fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    >>

    >Can the new MB accept your memory ?

    Yes it can accept the 168 pin DIMM or 184 pin DDR sdram, so I'm ok there.

    JohnV, Dec 10, 2003
  8. JohnV

    JohnV Guest

    philo wrote:

    >"JohnV" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    >>2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    >>fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    >>

    >Yes...if you plan to use the same harddrive with your present OS...
    >you may have problems with the new hardware...especially with win2k
    >
    >You should go into the control panel and delete as many of your devices
    >as possible just before putting the drive on the new mobo...
    >then let windows redetect...
    >
    >you may need to do a reapair installtion or "install-over" if the system
    >won;t
    >boot up

    That is good to know. I will do that.
    I wanted to use all my old stuff. I'm trying to keep the cost at a minimum.

    JohnV, Dec 10, 2003
  9. JohnV

    JohnV Guest

    mark mandel wrote:

    >"JohnV" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    >>2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    >>fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    >>

    >Yeah, if it's Win XP, you can be virtually guaranteed to doing a
    >repair/install operation. Read about this on
    >http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    >
    >Mark Mandell

    I have windows 98se. I'll see what happens.

    JohnV, Dec 10, 2003
  10. JohnV

    Boomer Guest

    JohnV <> wrote in

    > Soup wrote:
    >
    >>JohnV wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to
    >>>pentium4 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power
    >>>supply and cpu fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware
    >>>of?
    >>>

    >>Can the new MB accept your memory ?
    >>

    > Yes it can accept the 168 pin DIMM or 184 pin DDR sdram, so I'm
    > ok there.
    >
    > Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
    > --------------070608040304020900010708
    > <head>
    > content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title>
    > </head>
    > Soup wrote:<br>
    > cite="midlRGBb.1719$">
    > <pre wrap="">JohnV wrote:
    > </pre>
    > <pre wrap="">I am updating my motherboard and processor from
    > p3 800mhz to pentium4
    > 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply
    > and cpu fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    > </pre>
    > <pre wrap=""><!---->
    > Can the new MB accept your memory ?
    >
    > </pre>
    > Yes it can accept the 168 pin DIMM or&nbsp; 184 pin DDR sdram, so
    > I'm ok there.<br>
    >
    > Attachment decoded: untitled-3.htm
    > --------------070608040304020900010708--

    Post in plain text. Please.

    Boomer, Dec 10, 2003
  11. JohnV

    JohnV Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    >JohnV said:
    >

    >>I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    >>2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    >>fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    >>

    >The crystal ball is away for a wash 'n' wax, maybe you could say what you have
    >and what you want to get?
    >The power unit isn't necessarily an obvious thing to have to change, but the cpu
    >fan is, as you will need one that not only fits the cpu, but can handle the
    >extra heat.

    What I Have:
    I have a pentinitm3 800 mhz, which has a cpu fan, that I updated from a
    pentinium 2, that I updated from a 486.
    What I want to get:
    I'm going to a new motherboard with a p4.
    After getting the board I find out that all p4's require a special
    power supply, which has extra connections.

    JohnV, Dec 10, 2003
  12. JohnV

    Brian H¹© Guest

    JohnV said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >
    >> JohnV said:
    >>

    >>> I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    >>> 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    >>> fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    >>>

    >> The crystal ball is away for a wash 'n' wax, maybe you could say what you
    >> have and what you want to get?
    >> The power unit isn't necessarily an obvious thing to have to change, but the
    >> cpu fan is, as you will need one that not only fits the cpu, but can handle
    >> the extra heat.
    >>

    > What I Have:
    > I have a pentinitm3 800 mhz, which has a cpu fan, that I updated from a
    > pentinium 2, that I updated from a 486.
    > What I want to get:
    > I'm going to a new motherboard with a p4.
    > After getting the board I find out that all p4's require a special
    > power supply, which has extra connections.

    Please turn off html, and post in plain text.
    Your answer gives no further information than your first post.
    Your first post is equivalent to saying you want to get a 2 litre car.
    Your answer here is equivalent to saying you had a 1300, upgraded for a 1600,
    and now want a 2 litre.
    Hint - make and model.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 10, 2003
  13. JohnV

    Boomer Guest

    JohnV <> wrote in
    [snip HTML]

    > Attachment decoded: untitled-3.htm
    > --------------030502010608010306080404--

    Turn OFF the HTML! Please.

    Boomer, Dec 10, 2003
  14. JohnV

    philo Guest

    > Just curious, but why do you say "especially with win2k?

    Believe me I do a lot of harddrive transplants and have found...
    as much as I like Win2k it's one of the least likely operating systems to
    survive
    a radical change in hardware. (Win98, for example, usually reconfigures
    within
    a few re-boots)

    The good news is that with win2k you can do a repair installation
    or "install-over" and get your system up and running again with your
    data and apps still working...though you will probably have to re-appply
    your
    windows updates...

    No matter what you do...be sure to back up any vital data first!

    philo, Dec 10, 2003
  15. JohnV

    Brian H¹© Guest

    philo said:

    >> Just curious, but why do you say "especially with win2k?
    >>

    > Believe me I do a lot of harddrive transplants and have found...
    > as much as I like Win2k it's one of the least likely operating systems to
    > survive
    > a radical change in hardware. (Win98, for example, usually reconfigures
    > within
    > a few re-boots)
    >

    > The good news is that with win2k you can do a repair installation
    > or "install-over" and get your system up and running again with your
    > data and apps still working...though you will probably have to re-appply
    > your
    > windows updates...
    >
    > No matter what you do...be sure to back up any vital data first!

    The only one quirk I found with it was when I removed my D drive, the system
    refused to boot unless I put it back in.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 10, 2003
  16. JohnV

    Plato Guest

    Brian H¹© referenced:

    > > a radical change in hardware. (Win98, for example, usually reconfigures
    > > within a few re-boots)

    win98 is simply updating/rebuilding the HKLM, Enum branch of the
    resistry.

    > > The good news is that with win2k you can do a repair installation
    > > or "install-over" and get your system up and running again with your
    > > data and apps still working...though you will probably have to re-appply

    which is really doing the same thing, it's just more time consuming.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 10, 2003
  17. JohnV

    Jeff Smith Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > > Just curious, but why do you say "especially with win2k?
    > >

    > Believe me I do a lot of harddrive transplants and have found...
    > as much as I like Win2k it's one of the least likely operating systems to
    > survive
    > a radical change in hardware. (Win98, for example, usually reconfigures
    > within
    > a few re-boots)
    >

    > The good news is that with win2k you can do a repair installation
    > or "install-over" and get your system up and running again with your
    > data and apps still working...though you will probably have to re-appply
    > your
    > windows updates...
    >
    > No matter what you do...be sure to back up any vital data first!

    any good computer tech knows you don't just put a hard drive in a completely
    different computer, your asking for more problems then its even worth. Oh
    boy you saved 10 minutes in not reinstall your OS, now your system is
    unstable, and unreliable, and slow. what a time saver that was. Do it right
    the first time.

    Jeff

    Jeff Smith, Dec 10, 2003
  18. "JohnV" <> wrote in message
    > I am updating my motherboard and processor from p3 800mhz to pentium4
    > 2.4 ghz. Now I find out that I need to replace the power supply and cpu
    > fan also. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

    What is your OS?
    You should reinstall it.
    No need to wipe your hd, however, just run setup.exe over top.All should be
    well, cross your fingers though.
    What kind of ram do you have?
    Your new cpu will not work to full potential without ddr ram. If you have
    pc133, you will constantly be freezing up.
    You will either have to get new ram, to take full advantage of your new
    processing power, or 'underclock' the new cpu, in the bios, in the meantime.
    Good Luck.

    WorkingClassHero, Dec 11, 2003
  19. JohnV

    nemo2 Guest

    Jeff,

    I did exactly that the other day as an experiment and has stated by
    other posters all that happens is that windows just installs the
    drivers for the new hardare.

    Performance is what I expected slightly faster than before, but the
    laptop that I put the drive in is slightly faster than the old laptop.
    The machine has been in use for about 12 hours aday for the last 2
    days and hasn't crashed or done anything slightly amiss.

    Regards

    nemo2

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:46:21 -0600, "Jeff Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >"philo" <> wrote in message

    snipped

    nemo2, Dec 11, 2003