    should I backup everything to a small 7Gig H/D I already have installed.
    TIA.
    Classic.

    Classic 42, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Classic 42

    Harrison Guest

    Full install with backup.

    Harrison, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Classic 42

    Trent C Guest

    > Advice please guys.
    > Am thinking of updating my system (Win 98 2) to Win XP Home.
    > I intend to install a new mobo (Matsonic MS8157E) an AMD XP 2400

    processor,
    > 512 DDR PC2100 and an XP Upgrade. I do not use the PC for games, my

    existing
    > sound card, graphics card, CD Rom and Yamaha CD burner I know and will
    > leave.I also have a Hauppage TV and Teletex card which I will leave.
    > Question:- is it safe to use the upgrade or is it better to install the
    > full version.
    > Will I be able to transfer everything on my existing H/D to the new O/S.

    Or
    > should I backup everything to a small 7Gig H/D I already have installed.

    If you install the upgrade XP CD on a reformatted hard drive, it will ask
    you to prove you have a qualifying product by sticking in a Windows
    98/ME/2000 CD in the drive for a quick check, then you can get on with the
    XP installation. If you're OK about backing up all your data, you're much
    better off doing a clean install rather than an in-place upgrade, although
    you should definitely buy the upgrade CD.

    Trent C, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Classic 42

    SgtMinor Guest

    Take a look here to see how well your system will handle XP:
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready/

    SgtMinor, Oct 13, 2003