Updating SP2 XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Xanadu, Aug 31, 2005.

  1. Xanadu

    Xanadu Guest

    My Dell was shipped with SP1, but this seems to have been updated to SP2 by
    automatic update.

    I'm trying to install the fax service, but can't as its asking for the SP2
    CD, which I don't have.

    Message - Insert Windows XP Home Ed Service Pack 2CD

    Could anyone let me know if this is available on the web, or if there's any
    way to get around this.

    When I install my SP1 CD, nothing happens. I don't want to pay a fortune for
    a SP2 disk.

    IF this isn't possible, can anyone recommend a simple, free fax software
    package that I can download.

    Cheers

    Xanadu, Aug 31, 2005

  2. Xanadu

    striker Guest

    Windows XP CD-ROM contains a fax client program. It isn't automatically
    installed.

    striker, Aug 31, 2005

  3. Xanadu

    Martinez Guest

    "Xanadu" <.> wrote in message news:...
    > My Dell was shipped with SP1, but this seems to have been updated to SP2
    > by automatic update.
    >
    > I'm trying to install the fax service, but can't as its asking for the SP2
    > CD, which I don't have.
    >
    > Message - Insert Windows XP Home Ed Service Pack 2CD
    >
    > Could anyone let me know if this is available on the web, or if there's
    > any way to get around this.
    >
    > When I install my SP1 CD, nothing happens. I don't want to pay a fortune
    > for a SP2 disk.
    >
    > IF this isn't possible, can anyone recommend a simple, free fax software
    > package that I can download.

    The SP2 CD is free. Get it at the MS site.

    Martinez, Aug 31, 2005
  4. Xanadu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Xanadu wrote:
    > My Dell was shipped with SP1, but this seems to have been updated to
    > SP2 by automatic update.
    >
    > I'm trying to install the fax service, but can't as its asking for
    > the SP2 CD, which I don't have.
    >
    > Message - Insert Windows XP Home Ed Service Pack 2CD
    >
    > Could anyone let me know if this is available on the web, or if
    > there's any way to get around this.
    >
    > When I install my SP1 CD, nothing happens. I don't want to pay a
    > fortune for a SP2 disk.
    >
    > IF this isn't possible, can anyone recommend a simple, free fax
    > software package that I can download.
    >

    > Cheers

    Does it provide you with the ability to put in a file location manually? If
    so, locate the I386 folder on the PC (if it has one) and type in the full
    path name. That may work. (That folder is probably hidden or system - turn
    off the option to hide those in Tools/Folder options/view in any open
    folder)

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005