    What would be the best way for me to update this?

    Thanks for the help.

    Pat

    Pat, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Pat

    Moz Champion Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > I noticed a new version of Sage is out (1.2.2). I tried to update the
    > version (1.0) that I currently use by using the update feature within
    > Firefox, but for some reason that didn't work.
    >
    > What would be the best way for me to update this?
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Pat

    Pat

    Update only refers to Firefox, from the Release Notes

    New Extension and Theme Managers provide a convenient way to manage and
    update your add-ons. SmartUpdate also notifies you of updates to Firefox.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > > I noticed a new version of Sage is out (1.2.2). I tried to update the
    > > version (1.0) that I currently use by using the update feature within
    > > Firefox, but for some reason that didn't work.
    > >
    > > What would be the best way for me to update this?
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help.
    > >
    > > Pat
    > >

    > Pat
    >
    > Update only refers to Firefox, from the Release Notes
    >
    > New Extension and Theme Managers provide a convenient way to manage and
    > update your add-ons. SmartUpdate also notifies you of updates to Firefox.

    Thanks for the response.

    Any recommendations? Isn't SmartUpdate a Netscape product?

    Pat, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Pat

    Moz Champion Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Pat wrote:
    >>

    >>>I noticed a new version of Sage is out (1.2.2). I tried to update the
    >>>version (1.0) that I currently use by using the update feature within
    >>>Firefox, but for some reason that didn't work.
    >>>
    >>>What would be the best way for me to update this?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for the help.
    >>>
    >>>Pat
    >>>

    >>Pat
    >>
    >>Update only refers to Firefox, from the Release Notes
    >>
    >>New Extension and Theme Managers provide a convenient way to manage and
    >>update your add-ons. SmartUpdate also notifies you of updates to Firefox.
    >>

    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > Any recommendations? Isn't SmartUpdate a Netscape product?

    "SmartUpdate" refers to a Netscape Corp product available for Netscape
    Communicator 4x on Windows.

    "SmartUpdate" as in Firefox is an entirely different product/element

    Recommendations as to what?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Pat

    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    > >>Pat
    > >>
    > >>Update only refers to Firefox, from the Release Notes
    > >>
    > >>New Extension and Theme Managers provide a convenient way to manage and
    > >>update your add-ons. SmartUpdate also notifies you of updates to

    Firefox.

    > > Thanks for the response.
    > >
    > > Any recommendations? Isn't SmartUpdate a Netscape product?
    > >

    > "SmartUpdate" refers to a Netscape Corp product available for Netscape
    > Communicator 4x on Windows.
    >
    > "SmartUpdate" as in Firefox is an entirely different product/element
    >
    > Recommendations as to what?

    I was asking for recommendations for some good Extension and Theme managers.
    Based on your reply, I assumed these were utilities I could install in
    Firefox that would simply undating the other extensions installed (like
    Sage). Maybe I misunderstood, though. Are you saying the SmartUpdate
    that's in Firefox can be use to update extensions and themes?

    Sorry for being so dense (I'm still relatively new to this, having recently
    switched from IE). Thanks for the help! -Pat

    Pat, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Pat wrote:

    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Pat wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    > Firefox.
    >

    >>>Thanks for the response.
    >>>
    >>>Any recommendations? Isn't SmartUpdate a Netscape product?
    >>>

    >>"SmartUpdate" refers to a Netscape Corp product available for Netscape
    >>Communicator 4x on Windows.
    >>
    >>"SmartUpdate" as in Firefox is an entirely different product/element
    >>
    >>Recommendations as to what?

    > I was asking for recommendations for some good Extension and Theme managers.
    > Based on your reply, I assumed these were utilities I could install in
    > Firefox that would simply undating the other extensions installed (like
    > Sage). Maybe I misunderstood, though. Are you saying the SmartUpdate
    > that's in Firefox can be use to update extensions and themes?
    >
    > Sorry for being so dense (I'm still relatively new to this, having recently
    > switched from IE). Thanks for the help! -Pat

    What's Sage?

    William W. Plummer, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "William W. Plummer" <> wrote in message
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    the

    and

    > > Firefox.

    > >>"SmartUpdate" refers to a Netscape Corp product available for Netscape
    > >>Communicator 4x on Windows.
    > >>
    > >>"SmartUpdate" as in Firefox is an entirely different product/element
    > >>
    > >>Recommendations as to what?

    > > I was asking for recommendations for some good Extension and Theme

    managers.
    > > Based on your reply, I assumed these were utilities I could install in
    > > Firefox that would simply undating the other extensions installed (like
    > > Sage). Maybe I misunderstood, though. Are you saying the SmartUpdate
    > > that's in Firefox can be use to update extensions and themes?
    > >
    > > Sorry for being so dense (I'm still relatively new to this, having

    recently
    > > switched from IE). Thanks for the help! -Pat
    > >

    > What's Sage?

    Sage is an RSS news reader. It's installed as an extension in Firefox.

    -Pat

    Pat, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Pat wrote:

    > "William W. Plummer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Pat wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    > the

    > and

    >>>Firefox.

    >>>I was asking for recommendations for some good Extension and Theme

    > managers.
    >
    >>>Based on your reply, I assumed these were utilities I could install in
    >>>Firefox that would simply undating the other extensions installed (like
    >>>Sage). Maybe I misunderstood, though. Are you saying the SmartUpdate
    >>>that's in Firefox can be use to update extensions and themes?
    >>>
    >>>Sorry for being so dense (I'm still relatively new to this, having

    > recently
    >
    >>>switched from IE). Thanks for the help! -Pat
    >>>

    >>What's Sage?
    >>

    > Sage is an RSS news reader. It's installed as an extension in Firefox.
    >
    > -Pat

    Thanks. But what is RSS?

    William W. Plummer, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Pat

    Moz Champion Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Pat wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    > Firefox.
    >

    >>>Thanks for the response.
    >>>
    >>>Any recommendations? Isn't SmartUpdate a Netscape product?
    >>>

    >>"SmartUpdate" refers to a Netscape Corp product available for Netscape
    >>Communicator 4x on Windows.
    >>
    >>"SmartUpdate" as in Firefox is an entirely different product/element
    >>
    >>Recommendations as to what?

    > I was asking for recommendations for some good Extension and Theme managers.
    > Based on your reply, I assumed these were utilities I could install in
    > Firefox that would simply undating the other extensions installed (like
    > Sage). Maybe I misunderstood, though. Are you saying the SmartUpdate
    > that's in Firefox can be use to update extensions and themes?
    >
    > Sorry for being so dense (I'm still relatively new to this, having recently
    > switched from IE). Thanks for the help! -Pat

    Extension and Theme Managers? I really dont know what you want, those
    are built into Firefox.

    You click on Get More Extensions and you get a list of other extensions
    available, you then choose what if any you wish to download/install/use.
    Download/installation intructions vary with each extension/theme

    Whats to manage?

    Perhaps if you explained in laymans terms what you think a 'good'
    extension manager would do, that would be helpful.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Pat

    JJ Guest

    JJ, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Pat

    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    the

    and

    > > Firefox.

    > >>"SmartUpdate" refers to a Netscape Corp product available for Netscape
    > >>Communicator 4x on Windows.
    > >>
    > >>"SmartUpdate" as in Firefox is an entirely different product/element
    > >>
    > >>Recommendations as to what?

    > > I was asking for recommendations for some good Extension and Theme

    managers.
    > > Based on your reply, I assumed these were utilities I could install in
    > > Firefox that would simply undating the other extensions installed (like
    > > Sage). Maybe I misunderstood, though. Are you saying the SmartUpdate
    > > that's in Firefox can be use to update extensions and themes?
    > >
    > > Sorry for being so dense (I'm still relatively new to this, having

    recently
    > > switched from IE). Thanks for the help! -Pat
    > >

    > Extension and Theme Managers? I really dont know what you want, those
    > are built into Firefox.
    >
    > You click on Get More Extensions and you get a list of other extensions
    > available, you then choose what if any you wish to download/install/use.
    > Download/installation intructions vary with each extension/theme
    >
    > Whats to manage?
    >
    > Perhaps if you explained in laymans terms what you think a 'good'
    > extension manager would do, that would be helpful.

    Mainly what I was thinking of in terms of management was updating an
    extension to a newer version when one is availabe. For example, I
    currently have Sage 1.1 installed, but version 1.2.2 is now out and I would
    like to update (or replace) the old one with it. Although there is an
    update button in the extensions window, it doesn't seem to work. So I
    wasn't sure whether I could just install the new version over the old one,
    or uninstall the old version first than install the new one (but does this
    change settings?) or whether there was some other "extension manager" I
    could install that would automatically update extensions at the click of a
    button? I'm probably making this harder than is really is, but I've seen
    cases where the obvious (e.g. uninstall the old and reinstall the new) had
    unexpected consequences (e.g. deleted feed links, etc). So I thought it was
    worth posting the question first.

    Thanks again for your help. -Pat

    Pat, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Pat

    Moz Champion Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Pat wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    > the

    > and

    >>>Firefox.

    >>>I was asking for recommendations for some good Extension and Theme

    > managers.
    >
    >>>Based on your reply, I assumed these were utilities I could install in
    >>>Firefox that would simply undating the other extensions installed (like
    >>>Sage). Maybe I misunderstood, though. Are you saying the SmartUpdate
    >>>that's in Firefox can be use to update extensions and themes?
    >>>
    >>>Sorry for being so dense (I'm still relatively new to this, having

    > recently
    >
    >>>switched from IE). Thanks for the help! -Pat
    >>>

    >>Extension and Theme Managers? I really dont know what you want, those
    >>are built into Firefox.
    >>
    >>You click on Get More Extensions and you get a list of other extensions
    >>available, you then choose what if any you wish to download/install/use.
    >>Download/installation intructions vary with each extension/theme
    >>
    >>Whats to manage?
    >>
    >>Perhaps if you explained in laymans terms what you think a 'good'
    >>extension manager would do, that would be helpful.

    > Mainly what I was thinking of in terms of management was updating an
    > extension to a newer version when one is availabe. For example, I
    > currently have Sage 1.1 installed, but version 1.2.2 is now out and I would
    > like to update (or replace) the old one with it. Although there is an
    > update button in the extensions window, it doesn't seem to work. So I
    > wasn't sure whether I could just install the new version over the old one,
    > or uninstall the old version first than install the new one (but does this
    > change settings?) or whether there was some other "extension manager" I
    > could install that would automatically update extensions at the click of a
    > button? I'm probably making this harder than is really is, but I've seen
    > cases where the obvious (e.g. uninstall the old and reinstall the new) had
    > unexpected consequences (e.g. deleted feed links, etc). So I thought it was
    > worth posting the question first.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help. -Pat

    The update button in Estension Manager tells you when an updated
    extension is available.
    You can get the new extension here
    http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=77

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 16, 2004
  13. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Pat, Sep 20, 2004
  14. Pat wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The update button in Estension Manager tells you when an updated
    >>extension is available.
    >>You can get the new extension here
    >>http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=77
    >>
    >>--

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Pat

    I'm still trying to find out what Sage, RSS and ATOM mean. Why should
    I consider using them? Thanks.

    William W. Plummer, Sep 21, 2004