    the best way is to uninstall this and then do a fresh install.

    How do I save my bookmarks and settings so I can use them with the new
    version?

    Frank Rizzo, Jun 18, 2005

  2. Frank Rizzo wrote:
    > Hi people. I want to upgrade from Firefox version 1.0 but I hear that
    > the best way is to uninstall this and then do a fresh install.
    >
    > How do I save my bookmarks and settings so I can use them with the new
    > version?

    Uninstalling and re-installing shouldn't touch your bookmarks or
    settings, they're kept separate from the main install and aren't removed
    when you uninstall. But if you do want to back them up just in case,
    you need to find your profile folder and back up the files you find
    there. On Windows you can find this with the following procedure:

    Open My Documents.

    Type %appdata% in the address bar and click Go. This will take you to
    your application data folder. You should see a folder called "Mozilla".
    Open it.

    Now you should see a "Firefox" folder. Open that as well.

    In there, you should see a "Profiles" folder. Open it.

    Now you should see at least one folder with a funny name like
    "xxxxxxxx.default" The part before the dot is randomly generated for
    security. If you've created more than one profile, there will be other
    folders for the other profiles. Back up the contents of each one. This
    will back up your extensions, stored passwords, bookmarks, and
    preferences settings.

    There is also a program called MozBackup that does this for you
    automatically, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the latest
    versions of Firefox.

    --
    Ryukage

    Damian Dollahite, Jun 18, 2005