Updated Gallery

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PcB, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. PcB

    PcB Guest

    PcB, Dec 30, 2005

  2. PcB wrote:
    > Braved the sub-zero temperatures here in N-E England yesterday for a couple
    > of hours; the early results of which I have added to my gallery. Comments &
    > Critiques always welcome, particularly anything on how better to set the
    > gallery page up - I am no web designer and things are getting a little
    > extended.

    You need to start again with the web page. Here's how it looks on Firefox:

    http://www.derekfountain.org/misc/snapshot1.png

    Have a search of this newgroup for threads about programs that will
    generate galleries for you. There have been a couple recently.

    The thumbnails imply there's some great work there, but since the
    website doesn't work with Javascript turned off I can't see them. I
    don't turn Javascript on for arbitary websites that I see linked from
    news groups.

    Since you clearly have ability with a camera, and you're prepared to go
    out and freeze your nuts off getting shots, spending a bit more effort
    on delivery so people can see your work would be well worth your effort.
    Derek Fountain, Dec 30, 2005

  3. PcB

    Tim Guest

    > PcB wrote:
    >> Braved the sub-zero temperatures here in N-E England yesterday for a
    >> couple of hours; the early results of which I have added to my
    >> gallery. Comments & Critiques always welcome, particularly anything
    >> on how better to set the gallery page up - I am no web designer and
    >> things are getting a little extended.

    > You need to start again with the web page. Here's how it looks on
    > Firefox:
    > http://www.derekfountain.org/misc/snapshot1.png
    >
    > Have a search of this newgroup for threads about programs that will
    > generate galleries for you. There have been a couple recently.
    >
    > The thumbnails imply there's some great work there, but since the
    > website doesn't work with Javascript turned off I can't see them. I
    > don't turn Javascript on for arbitary websites that I see linked from
    > news groups.
    >
    > Since you clearly have ability with a camera, and you're prepared to
    > go out and freeze your nuts off getting shots, spending a bit more
    > effort on delivery so people can see your work would be well worth your
    > effort.

    The pop up windows don't work properly in Firefox or IE

    The images display at a reduced size and then if you click and expand them
    the window dosen't resize to suit :-(

    FWIW here's my site http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the pics
    aren't up to much they're just holiday snaps but it might give you ideas for
    a cleaner layout - it's not finished yet so it looks a bit empty at the
    front end

    A site I just found this morning has a more casual layout (and rather better
    pictures) http://jack.cameraphile.org/gallery/albums.php the layout is
    pretty clean and it's informative

    HTH

    Tim
    Tim, Dec 30, 2005
  4. PcB

    Waterspider Guest

    "Tim" <no > wrote in message

    > FWIW here's my site http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the pics
    > aren't up to much they're just holiday snaps but it might give you ideas
    > for a cleaner layout - it's not finished yet so it looks a bit empty at
    > the front end

    Tim, don't change a thing, it's beautiful. I love the monochrome background,
    the clean, sparse type, the simplicity.
    It's too easy to clutter up a website so most folks do so. With photography,
    the idea is to showcase the art and you've done a fabulous job. Plus your
    photos are drop-dead gorgeous.

    Thinking of your site, you might be able to do a totally wordless navigation
    system, if you had enough appropriate photos to provide intuitive clues to
    the organization. I don't know if it's possible, but it might be fun to play
    with.

    Waterspider

    www.penderharbour.org
    Waterspider, Dec 30, 2005
  5. PcB

    PcB Guest

    => PcB wrote:
    =>> Braved the sub-zero temperatures here in N-E England yesterday for a
    =>> couple of hours; the early results of which I have added to my
    =>> gallery. Comments & Critiques always welcome, particularly anything
    =>> on how better to set the gallery page up - I am no web designer and
    =>> things are getting a little extended.
    =>
    =
[...]

    Derek / Tim,

    Thanks for the feedback, as I said I am no web designer but it certainly
    sounds like I need to do more work here - I wasn't happy with the default
    gallery formats from the software and tried something home-brewed instead
    (unfortunately it looks OK on my version of IE).

    Thanks for looking and commenting, guess my work for the next few weeks is
    to get a decent gallery page ... at least it's still mid-winter.

    Paul
    --
    Paul ============}
    o o

    // Live fast, die old //
    Gallery at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm
    PcB, Dec 30, 2005
  6. PcB

    Tim Guest

    > "Tim" <no > wrote in message
    >

    >> FWIW here's my site http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the
    >> pics aren't up to much they're just holiday snaps but it might give
    >> you ideas for a cleaner layout - it's not finished yet so it looks a
    >> bit empty at the front end

    > Tim, don't change a thing, it's beautiful. I love the monochrome
    > background, the clean, sparse type, the simplicity.
    > It's too easy to clutter up a website so most folks do so. With
    > photography, the idea is to showcase the art and you've done a
    > fabulous job. Plus your photos are drop-dead gorgeous.
    >
    > Thinking of your site, you might be able to do a totally wordless
    > navigation system, if you had enough appropriate photos to provide
    > intuitive clues to the organization. I don't know if it's possible,
    > but it might be fun to play with.
    >
    > Waterspider
    >
    > www.penderharbour.org

    Hi Waterspider

    My apologies - I forgot to say thank you for your appreciation

    So thank you :)

    Cheers

    Tim
    Tim, Jan 3, 2006
  7. PcB

    Tim Guest

    >> "Tim" <no > wrote in message
    >>

    >>> FWIW here's my site http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the
    >>> pics aren't up to much they're just holiday snaps but it might give
    >>> you ideas for a cleaner layout - it's not finished yet so it looks a
    >>> bit empty at the front end

    >> Tim, don't change a thing, it's beautiful. I love the monochrome
    >> background, the clean, sparse type, the simplicity.
    >> It's too easy to clutter up a website so most folks do so. With
    >> photography, the idea is to showcase the art and you've done a
    >> fabulous job. Plus your photos are drop-dead gorgeous.
    >>
    >> Thinking of your site, you might be able to do a totally wordless
    >> navigation system, if you had enough appropriate photos to provide
    >> intuitive clues to the organization. I don't know if it's possible,
    >> but it might be fun to play with.
    >>
    >> Waterspider
    >>
    >> www.penderharbour.org

    > Hi Waterspider
    >
    > My apologies - I forgot to say thank you for your appreciation
    >
    > So thank you :)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Tim

    And while I'm at it PcB good luck with your site

    Jeeze someone stole both my brain cells :-(
    Tim, Jan 3, 2006
  8. PcB

    RobG Guest

    "Tim" <no > wrote

    > Jeeze someone stole both my brain cells :-(

    What, you got TWO; you lucky, lucky bast... (c:

    RobG
    RobG, Jan 3, 2006
  9. PcB

    PcB Guest

    I am setting-up an account with Flickr at present and have dropped some of
    the better images to http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcbradley/ as a stop-gap.
    I will then decide what to do with the original gallery.

    Thanks to all for the very positive feedback (100% of respondents thought
    the images were OK and the site was very poor. As I always considered myself
    more of a photographer than a web designer I *should* be happy ...<g>).

    And nice work, Tim.

    Paul

    PcB, Jan 3, 2006