Update

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sam, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Thanks for the help so far...

    The situation is this: The ADSL belongs to my landlord and is located
    in her office. She's letting me set up wireless through her
    connection, but knows nothing about how her ADSL is set up.

    The ISP is the Instituto Costaricense de Electricidad, or the
    government-run monopoly that controls electricity, telephone, and
    internet services here in Costa Rica. Therefore, thanks to the
    wonderful customer service provided by monopolies, I am hesitant to
    reset the modem and risk loosing the settings configured by the
    installer.

    All I know about how the modem is set up is from the IPs that were hand
    written on the box (one annotated LAN "201.198.19.0" and the other WAN
    "10.34.147.0") and that when I checked the setup on the computer the
    TCP/IP settings were set to retrieve IP automatically. Does this
    necessarily mean that the ASDL is using DHCP? Perhaps not, and ont of
    those IPs is the gateway address I should use.

    The "status" light on the wireless is not on, which, according to the
    manual, means that something is wrong. The dang manual doesn't explain
    what kind of problem it might be, but I suspect it means it can't see
    the
    gateway. That sound right?

    While looking through the manual for the ASDL modem I noticed it is
    capable of "bridging", "routing", or both simultaneously. I'm not
    really sure what this means. Should I be able to somehow configure the
    wireless regardless of which mode it is set to? (I hope so,
    considering I can't easily change that setting.)

    Thanks again for all your help. I'll get this working somehow!

    Ciao!
    Sam
    Sam, Sep 27, 2006

  2. Sam

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in news:1159320538.043599.121080
    @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Thanks for the help so far...

    Congratulations. This post is "the straw that broke the camel's back".

    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    dee
    Mike Dee, Sep 27, 2006