Update x86 Printer Driver

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Aaron Kelley, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Alright, here's a new one for me.

    I'm running Vista x64. I have a Canon USB printer that I am sharing,
    generally with my laptop running Vista x86, but occasionally with other
    computers running whatever version of Windows XP.

    If I go to the Sharing tab in the properties of the printer, there is an
    option to add additional drivers for computers running Windows on different
    CPU architectures. I used this to install the x86 printer driver so that I
    don't have to load it on each machine when it connects. Works great.

    Here's the question. Recently, Canon posted a new driver for the printer
    (actually for Vista, previously I had been using the XP and XP x64 drivers).
    I can update the machine's x64 driver on the Advanced tab in the printer
    properties, but I cannot figure out how to update the x86 driver. In the
    "Additional Drivers" box, there doesn't seem to be any way to update or
    remove drivers. Trying from the Advanced tab just gives a message that the
    driver is not going to work with my CPU architecture. I tried deleting the
    printer and letting Windows find it again, but it still had the x86 driver
    loaded. I tried removing the x86 driver files from
    C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers, but it still thinks the driver is
    installed.

    It's not that big a deal, since the XP driver works fine in Vista, and I can
    manually update the driver on the client machines if I feel like it. But,
    does anyone know how to either update or remove a driver that is only used
    for sharing?

    Thanks! :p

    - Aaron
    Aaron Kelley, Jan 24, 2007