    people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)

    Thank you,

    Barry Karas

    Barry Karas, Jul 14, 2007

  2. Barry Karas wrote:
    > 14-Jul-07
    >
    > How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
    > I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
    > to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
    > people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Barry Karas

    you can try the following extensions:

    IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/

    or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 14, 2007

  3. Barry Karas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Barry Karas wrote:
    >> 14-Jul-07
    >>
    >> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I
    >> suppose I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything
    >> automatically added to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do
    >> not want the files that the people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> Barry Karas
    >>

    > you can try the following extensions:
    >
    > IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    >
    > or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

    Personal opinion, but I think one is much better off using the Windows
    Update feature than adding extensions to FF. WU can be set up to only
    notify the user of available updates as opposed to automatically
    downloading and installing them, which seems to be the OP's hesitancy in
    using it.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 14, 2007
  4. Barry Karas

    Old Enough Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >Barry Karas wrote:
    >> 14-Jul-07
    >>
    >> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
    >> I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
    >> to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
    >> people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> Barry Karas
    >>

    >you can try the following extensions:
    >
    >IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    >
    >or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

    Very helpful information!

    Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
    plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?

    _________________________________
    Old Enough
    to know I don't know a thing ....

    Old Enough, Jul 14, 2007
  5. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Barry Karas wrote:
    >>> 14-Jul-07
    >>>
    >>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I
    >>> suppose I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything
    >>> automatically added to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do
    >>> not want the files that the people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>>
    >>> Barry Karas
    >>>

    >> you can try the following extensions:
    >>
    >> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    >>
    >> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/
    >>

    > Personal opinion, but I think one is much better off using the Windows
    > Update feature than adding extensions to FF. WU can be set up to only
    > notify the user of available updates as opposed to automatically
    > downloading and installing them, which seems to be the OP's hesitancy in
    > using it.

    I use win98, and I don't get that windows update within IE
    any more. They took that webpage way when they dropped 98.
    So, I use windizupdate and its found lots of updates for me.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 14, 2007
  6. Old Enough wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Barry Karas wrote:
    >>> 14-Jul-07
    >>>
    >>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
    >>> I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
    >>> to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
    >>> people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>>
    >>> Barry Karas
    >>>

    >> you can try the following extensions:
    >>
    >> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    >>
    >> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

    > Very helpful information!
    >
    > Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
    > plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?

    I don't know. I think it would because its a separate
    program and operates outside of IE and Windows Update.
    Maybe you can give it a try and report back.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 14, 2007
  7. Barry Karas

    SteveG Guest

    Old Enough wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Barry Karas wrote:
    >>> 14-Jul-07
    >>>
    >>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
    >>> I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
    >>> to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
    >>> people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>>
    >>> Barry Karas
    >>>

    >> you can try the following extensions:
    >>
    >> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    >>
    >> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

    > Very helpful information!
    >
    > Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
    > plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?
    >
    > _________________________________
    > Old Enough
    > to know I don't know a thing ....

    The Windizupdate doesn't notify you automatically, like WAU does. You
    have to ask it if there are any and then you get to choose which you
    want to install.

    Personally, I use Ed's method: have WAU check for updates and tell you
    when they are ready but select which ones I want to download and
    install, rather than have it all done automatically. If nothing else,
    this prevents XP from repeatedly telling you that your computer is at
    risk because WAU is turned off.

    HTH

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jul 14, 2007
  8. Barry Karas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> you can try the following extensions:
    >>>
    >>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    >>>
    >>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/
    >>>

    >> Personal opinion, but I think one is much better off using the Windows
    >> Update feature than adding extensions to FF. WU can be set up to only
    >> notify the user of available updates as opposed to automatically
    >> downloading and installing them, which seems to be the OP's hesitancy
    >> in using it.
    >>

    > I use win98, and I don't get that windows update within IE any more.
    > They took that webpage way when they dropped 98. So, I use windizupdate
    > and its found lots of updates for me.

    It's finding official updates from Microsoft for an operating system for
    which it has dropped support? I'm very curious about that.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 15, 2007
  9. Barry Karas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Old Enough wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> you can try the following extensions:
    >>>
    >>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    >>>
    >>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

    >> Very helpful information!
    >>
    >> Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
    >> plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?
    >>

    > I don't know. I think it would because its a separate program and
    > operates outside of IE and Windows Update. Maybe you can give it a try
    > and report back.

    Not disputing something happening with an extension I don't use but it
    doesn't seem likely that a third-party "program" can find "official"
    updates for an obsolete operating system. Are these from Microsoft?
    Are they "official" updates? I'm skeptical but willing to be convinced.
    And very curious.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 15, 2007
  10. Barry Karas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    SteveG wrote:
    > Old Enough wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> you can try the following extensions:
    >>>
    >>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
    >>>
    >>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

    >> Very helpful information!
    >>
    >> Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
    >> plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?
    >>
    >> _________________________________
    >> Old Enough
    >> to know I don't know a thing ....

    > The Windizupdate doesn't notify you automatically, like WAU does. You
    > have to ask it if there are any and then you get to choose which you
    > want to install.
    >
    > Personally, I use Ed's method: have WAU check for updates and tell you
    > when they are ready but select which ones I want to download and
    > install, rather than have it all done automatically. If nothing else,
    > this prevents XP from repeatedly telling you that your computer is at
    > risk because WAU is turned off.
    >
    > HTH

    I remain highly skeptical that a third-party "program" can find
    "official" updates for an unsupported (obsolete) OS that the official
    updater can't (or won't) find. Think about it: MS discontinues support
    for a product, it's own systems can't find updates but a third-party
    utility /can/ find "official" updates? Hey, I'm always surprised by
    life but this sounds too good to be true, kinda like a perpetual motion
    machine.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 15, 2007
  11. Barry Karas

    SteveG Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > SteveG wrote:
    >> Old Enough wrote:

    >>> Very helpful information!
    >>>
    >>> Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
    >>> plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?
    >>>
    >>> _________________________________
    >>> Old Enough
    >>> to know I don't know a thing ....

    >> The Windizupdate doesn't notify you automatically, like WAU does. You
    >> have to ask it if there are any and then you get to choose which you
    >> want to install.
    >>
    >> Personally, I use Ed's method: have WAU check for updates and tell you
    >> when they are ready but select which ones I want to download and
    >> install, rather than have it all done automatically. If nothing else,
    >> this prevents XP from repeatedly telling you that your computer is at
    >> risk because WAU is turned off.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    > I remain highly skeptical that a third-party "program" can find
    > "official" updates for an unsupported (obsolete) OS that the official
    > updater can't (or won't) find. Think about it: MS discontinues support
    > for a product, it's own systems can't find updates but a third-party
    > utility /can/ find "official" updates? Hey, I'm always surprised by
    > life but this sounds too good to be true, kinda like a perpetual motion
    > machine.

    Ed, the OP said he has Windows XP Home - it may not be the latest but is
    still well supported by MS$

    It was Peter that introduced the spectre of Win98 /washes mouth out with
    soapy water/

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jul 15, 2007
  12. Barry Karas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    SteveG wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> SteveG wrote:

    >>> The Windizupdate doesn't notify you automatically, like WAU does. You
    >>> have to ask it if there are any and then you get to choose which you
    >>> want to install.
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I use Ed's method: have WAU check for updates and tell
    >>> you when they are ready but select which ones I want to download and
    >>> install, rather than have it all done automatically. If nothing else,
    >>> this prevents XP from repeatedly telling you that your computer is at
    >>> risk because WAU is turned off.
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>

    >> I remain highly skeptical that a third-party "program" can find
    >> "official" updates for an unsupported (obsolete) OS that the official
    >> updater can't (or won't) find. Think about it: MS discontinues
    >> support for a product, it's own systems can't find updates but a
    >> third-party utility /can/ find "official" updates? Hey, I'm always
    >> surprised by life but this sounds too good to be true, kinda like a
    >> perpetual motion machine.
    >>

    > Ed, the OP said he has Windows XP Home - it may not be the latest but is
    > still well supported by MS$
    >
    > It was Peter that introduced the spectre of Win98 /washes mouth out with
    > soapy water/

    Sheesh. Indeed. I have no idea how I wound up posting this reply to
    the wrong message. Thanks for pointing this out.

    Still, for the W98 discussion, my comments stand.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 16, 2007
  13. Barry Karas

    Barry Karas Guest

    >> Personal opinion, but I think one is much better off using the Windows
    >> Update feature than adding extensions to FF. WU can be set up to only
    >> notify the user of available updates as opposed to automatically
    >> downloading and installing them, which seems to be the OP's hesitancy in
    >> using it.

    I did that (the notify method) but did not get notifications -- I only got
    automatic downloads and installs.

    Barry Karas

    Barry Karas, Jul 27, 2007