Update SP1 before installing SP2?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Terry Pinnell, Jun 11, 2007.

  1. At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
    up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
    Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
    priority updates listed."

    Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
    situation here.

    On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
    XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
    before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
    applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
    back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
    the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
    settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
    I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
    on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
    PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
    running it.

    Any advice urgently appreciated please.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 11, 2007

  2. Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    > "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
    > up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
    > Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
    > priority updates listed."
    >
    > Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
    > situation here.
    >
    > On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
    > XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
    > before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
    > applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
    > back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
    > the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
    > settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
    > I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
    > on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
    > PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
    > running it.

    Run it

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 11, 2007

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Streaming Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    > At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    > "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
    > up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
    > Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
    > priority updates listed."

    Of course it's essential, just relative to the following where you
    "want to get back to the familiar look of old desktop" and you
    then say "new PC won't recognise the settings" - though no detail?
    So it could be anything from graphics drivers, to patches, to simply
    you want settings that are only available under SP2 but the PC
    has to be patched with all high priority updates before SP2 is
    installed. And the MS site guides you on all of that.
    And doing as instructed is the safest option as once it is ready
    then windows update will auto detect it is and download and
    install SP2 to a setup that the scan deems is prepared, rather
    than you doing it fingers crossed from a download.

    Streaming, Jun 11, 2007
  4. Streaming wrote:

    > Of course it's essential, just relative to the following where you
    > "want to get back to the familiar look of old desktop" and you
    > then say "new PC won't recognise the settings" - though no detail?
    > So it could be anything from graphics drivers, to patches, to simply
    > you want settings that are only available under SP2 but the PC
    > has to be patched with all high priority updates before SP2 is
    > installed. And the MS site guides you on all of that.
    > And doing as instructed is the safest option as once it is ready
    > then windows update will auto detect it is and download and
    > install SP2 to a setup that the scan deems is prepared, rather
    > than you doing it fingers crossed from a download.

    All service packs are cumlative. No need to **** around with SP1 before
    installing SP2.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 11, 2007
  5. On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:01:02 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
    >PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
    >running it.
    >
    >Any advice urgently appreciated please.

    I've run SP2 on six different PC's with no problems other that it
    takes a long time.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com

    Steve Wolstenholme, Jun 11, 2007
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Poprivet Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    > "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
    > up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
    > Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
    > priority updates listed."

    Short answer: Just install SP2; forget the rest.

    NOT necessary to install all that before installing SP2. SP2 includes ALL
    of the SP1 and ALL of the hotfixes since SP1 up to SP2.

    AFTER you install SP2, then let the rest of the updates install.

    > Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
    > situation here.

    No, it's not essential. SP2 however is very important, so install SP2 and
    THEN get the rest of hte hotfixes.

    HTH
    Pop`

    Poprivet, Jun 11, 2007
  7. Terry Pinnell

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    >
    > I used
    > the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
    > settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
    > I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
    > on SP2.

    I believe you are correct. And it may not be just the SP2, but there is a
    later update for FAST that allows compatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit
    Windows. If that was installed, you'll have to have it back on the PC before
    you can access the data. BUT try the SP2 FAST first before adding that
    latest update.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  8. "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    >>
    >> I used
    >> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
    >> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
    >> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
    >> on SP2.

    >I believe you are correct. And it may not be just the SP2, but there is a
    >later update for FAST that allows compatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit
    >Windows. If that was installed, you'll have to have it back on the PC before
    >you can access the data. BUT try the SP2 FAST first before adding that
    >latest update.

    Thanks for the various helpful follow-ups.

    WhzzKdd: as you may have seen from my reply just now to Alias, I had
    no joy with FAST (thanks for the acronym!) and am keen to get to the
    bottom of why. Not sure I grasp this 32/64 distinction. Didn't even
    know there *was* a '64 bit Windows'. When would I encounter that, or
    want it? In this case, I used her 4-year old XP Home CD, then used the
    266 MB SP2 WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe (which I downloaded on my
    own PC).

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 12, 2007
  9. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    >>>
    >>> I used
    >>> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
    >>> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
    >>> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
    >>> on SP2.

    >>I believe you are correct. And it may not be just the SP2, but there is a
    >>later update for FAST that allows compatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit
    >>Windows. If that was installed, you'll have to have it back on the PC before
    >>you can access the data. BUT try the SP2 FAST first before adding that
    >>latest update.

    >Thanks for the various helpful follow-ups.
    >
    >WhzzKdd: as you may have seen from my reply just now to Alias, I had
    >no joy with FAST (thanks for the acronym!) and am keen to get to the
    >bottom of why. Not sure I grasp this 32/64 distinction. Didn't even
    >know there *was* a '64 bit Windows'. When would I encounter that, or
    >want it? In this case, I used her 4-year old XP Home CD, then used the
    >266 MB SP2 WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe (which I downloaded on my
    >own PC).

    For clarification, guess I should paste this here from my cross-post:
    ---------
    Alias <> wrote:

    >Streaming wrote:
    >> "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    >>> "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
    >>> up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates.

    >False. Install the SP2 first and then get the updates. I've done it on
    >dozens of computers with outstanding results. Even though this is from
    >an MS site, SP2 includes all the updates from the release of SP1 to the
    >release of SP2 so I don't understand their guidance.
    >

    > Go to the
    >>> Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
    >>> priority updates listed."

    >You should *never* use Express Install unless you want WGA/N, IE7 and
    >other flawed crap.
    >
    >Alias

    Thanks, that proved sound advice. A little after posting I came across
    a non-MS thread that effectively said the same, i.e. SP2 already
    includes all SP1 updates. So I'm glad I ignored the MS article!

    I also agree entirely with you about Custom v Express. Although in
    this instance the only exception we made was to exclude IE7. (Last
    time WU inadvertently installed it on her PC, it gave a variety of
    problems, and no apparent benefits over IE6.)

    So all that SP2 upgrade part of the exercise went OK. But it didn't
    fix the issue that I mentioned at the outset. When run on the new PC
    the Wizard refused to recognise the compressed files it had made on
    the old PC. (Something like "Location contains no valid files...").

    I tried this using both an external HD and a 1 GB memory stick. I
    tried Files & Settings and then just on the Settings Only option. No
    joy with any of these.

    I'm pressing on manually now (just cracked the Outlook Express bit,
    for example), but for future reference and academic interest can
    anyone suggest why this failed please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 12, 2007
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Ron Martell Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    >"Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
    >up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
    >Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
    >priority updates listed."

    That paragraph contradicts everything that I have ever been told about
    Service Pack 2 by Microsoft, and I would suggest that you disregard
    it.

    >Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
    >situation here.
    >
    >On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
    >XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
    >before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
    >applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
    >back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
    >the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
    >settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
    >I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
    >on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
    >PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
    >running it.
    >
    >Any advice urgently appreciated please.

    If you have the complete SP2 download then I suggest you just install
    that. SP2 is a complete package and includes all critical updates
    from the original release of Windows XP up to the date of SP2.

    Of course once you have installed SP2 then you still need to go to
    Windows update because there are a tremendous number of updates that
    are post-SP2 which you also need to get installed.

    And before you install SP2 you might want to look at the following web
    site:
    Service Pack Installation Checklist

    Good luck
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jun 12, 2007
  11. Terry Pinnell

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    >>>
    >>> I used
    >>> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
    >>> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
    >>> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
    >>> on SP2.

    >>I believe you are correct. And it may not be just the SP2, but there is a
    >>later update for FAST that allows compatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit
    >>Windows. If that was installed, you'll have to have it back on the PC
    >>before
    >>you can access the data. BUT try the SP2 FAST first before adding that
    >>latest update.

    > Thanks for the various helpful follow-ups.
    >
    > WhzzKdd: as you may have seen from my reply just now to Alias, I had
    > no joy with FAST (thanks for the acronym!) and am keen to get to the
    > bottom of why. Not sure I grasp this 32/64 distinction. Didn't even
    > know there *was* a '64 bit Windows'. When would I encounter that, or
    > want it? In this case, I used her 4-year old XP Home CD, then used the
    > 266 MB SP2 WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe (which I downloaded on my
    > own PC).

    Windows does have a 32 bit and a 64 bit OS. The 64 bit provides better
    support for the 64 bit processors, but unless one is running software
    actually written for the 64 bit enviroment, there is not a significant
    increase in performance.

    That being the case, MS had to re-code the FAST to handle transferring data
    from the 32 bit OS to the 64 bit OS. There was a MS update for that software
    change. So the reality is that may be dealing with as many as FOUR
    distinctly different versions of FAST: RTM (Release to Manufacture), SP1,
    SP2, and the 64 bit update (maybe only three - the RTM may be the same as
    the SP1 - I don't know for sure). In my experience (like yours), they do not
    play well togther. I've lost data myself to this MS mess-up.

    So your data may have been compressed with SP1, and SP2 may not read it. And
    if you compressed with SP2, with the upgrade installed, the SP2 may not read
    it.

    Here at my home office, I used to have all four versions on disk. Why? Just
    in case. I think I lost one or two recently - bad floppy disks.

    What I would suggest doing is putting the CD that came with her computer
    into the system, and when the menu comes up, go to the option for Perform
    Additional Tasks, and run the FAST wizard from there. It is possible that
    your data was compressed with that version. If that doesn't work, then get
    the upgrade to the latest one and install it, and try again:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...18-cbdb-47c0-b7c2-77c4cc37a450&DisplayLang=en
    (This was a non-critical update, but I've run into a number of computers
    where the user installed it "just because it came from Microsoft", even
    though they have no intention of ever going to a 64 bit system.)

    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  12. Ron Martell <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >>At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    >>"Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
    >>up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
    >>Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
    >>priority updates listed."
    >>

    >That paragraph contradicts everything that I have ever been told about
    >Service Pack 2 by Microsoft, and I would suggest that you disregard
    >it.
    >

    >>Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
    >>situation here.
    >>
    >>On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
    >>XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
    >>before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
    >>applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
    >>back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
    >>the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
    >>settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
    >>I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
    >>on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
    >>PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
    >>running it.
    >>
    >>Any advice urgently appreciated please.

    >If you have the complete SP2 download then I suggest you just install
    >that. SP2 is a complete package and includes all critical updates
    >from the original release of Windows XP up to the date of SP2.
    >
    >Of course once you have installed SP2 then you still need to go to
    >Windows update because there are a tremendous number of updates that
    >are post-SP2 which you also need to get installed.
    >
    >And before you install SP2 you might want to look at the following web
    >site:
    >Service Pack Installation Checklist
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >
    >Good luck
    >Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Thanks. As you see from my later posts, I did disregard it, and all
    went well.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 12, 2007
  13. "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    >>>I believe you are correct. And it may not be just the SP2, but there is a
    >>>later update for FAST that allows compatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit
    >>>Windows. If that was installed, you'll have to have it back on the PC
    >>>before
    >>>you can access the data. BUT try the SP2 FAST first before adding that
    >>>latest update.

    >> Thanks for the various helpful follow-ups.
    >>
    >> WhzzKdd: as you may have seen from my reply just now to Alias, I had
    >> no joy with FAST (thanks for the acronym!) and am keen to get to the
    >> bottom of why. Not sure I grasp this 32/64 distinction. Didn't even
    >> know there *was* a '64 bit Windows'. When would I encounter that, or
    >> want it? In this case, I used her 4-year old XP Home CD, then used the
    >> 266 MB SP2 WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe (which I downloaded on my
    >> own PC).
    >>

    >Windows does have a 32 bit and a 64 bit OS. The 64 bit provides better
    >support for the 64 bit processors, but unless one is running software
    >actually written for the 64 bit enviroment, there is not a significant
    >increase in performance.
    >
    >That being the case, MS had to re-code the FAST to handle transferring data
    >from the 32 bit OS to the 64 bit OS. There was a MS update for that software
    >change. So the reality is that may be dealing with as many as FOUR
    >distinctly different versions of FAST: RTM (Release to Manufacture), SP1,
    >SP2, and the 64 bit update (maybe only three - the RTM may be the same as
    >the SP1 - I don't know for sure). In my experience (like yours), they do not
    >play well togther. I've lost data myself to this MS mess-up.
    >
    >So your data may have been compressed with SP1, and SP2 may not read it. And
    >if you compressed with SP2, with the upgrade installed, the SP2 may not read
    >it.
    >
    >Here at my home office, I used to have all four versions on disk. Why? Just
    >in case. I think I lost one or two recently - bad floppy disks.
    >
    >What I would suggest doing is putting the CD that came with her computer
    >into the system, and when the menu comes up, go to the option for Perform
    >Additional Tasks, and run the FAST wizard from there. It is possible that
    >your data was compressed with that version. If that doesn't work, then get
    >the upgrade to the latest one and install it, and try again:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...18-cbdb-47c0-b7c2-77c4cc37a450&DisplayLang=en
    >(This was a non-critical update, but I've run into a number of computers
    >where the user installed it "just because it came from Microsoft", even
    >though they have no intention of ever going to a 64 bit system.)

    Thanks, I'll try that at some stage, if only to satisfy my curiosity,
    and also to hopefully get FAST working when I install *my* next PC
    sometime.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 12, 2007
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Plato Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx I read
    > "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
    > up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
    > Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
    > priority updates listed."

    No, one can just install SP2 which contains all the updates in SP1

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en