UPDATE Re: Dell Inspiron 600m & Dell recovery CD ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Chris <> wrote in

    > Hi
    > I see Dell have a special on at the moment for the above which makes
    > it look quite good price wise but I was wondering if Dell supply a
    > Windows XP CD or just the Recovery CD that I have been told about. I
    > did email Dell last night but their special runs out tomorrow so
    > though I'd ask here.
    >
    > Basically I'd like to reformat, partition the disk and then make my
    > own image.
    >
    > Would also be interested in any first (or second) hand accounts for
    > this model or any usefull url's to reviews.
    >
    > TIA

    The Dell arrived yesterday. Tried to use QT Parted on a Knoppix CD but
    found that it wouldn't work the way I wanted due, to, I assume, some
    sectors of the HDD having "non movable" folders 'n files written to them.
    Used QT Parted to delete the original partition and make new ones.

    The "Dell" Windows XP CD seemed to perform like a real Windows one, though
    it did have a "$OEM$" folder. The Dell system disk contained all the
    drivers (this dumps the unzipped drivers into the "Dell" folder on c:\

    The Microsoft Bluetooth K/B and Mouse proved a bit of a problem to get
    working yesterday but managed it using both the MS Bluetooth "dongle" and
    the built in Dell Bluetooth.

    I also found the Dell forum's are quite usefull for getting info.

    Also managed to get a free carry case which wasn't part of the promotion at
    the time (was limited to 64 MB Vid and 256 MB to 512 MB RAM upgrade and
    free freight.

    Well, I supose I'd better check to see if I need any Windows updates <sic>

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 16, 2004

  2. In article <40f72aa0$>, says...
    > Chris <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi
    > > I see Dell have a special on at the moment for the above which makes
    > > it look quite good price wise but I was wondering if Dell supply a
    > > Windows XP CD or just the Recovery CD that I have been told about. I
    > > did email Dell last night but their special runs out tomorrow so
    > > though I'd ask here.
    > >
    > > Basically I'd like to reformat, partition the disk and then make my
    > > own image.
    > >
    > > Would also be interested in any first (or second) hand accounts for
    > > this model or any usefull url's to reviews.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > The Dell arrived yesterday. Tried to use QT Parted on a Knoppix CD but
    > found that it wouldn't work the way I wanted due, to, I assume, some
    > sectors of the HDD having "non movable" folders 'n files written to them.
    > Used QT Parted to delete the original partition and make new ones.

    If you want to make a Windows/DOS partition you should be using a
    Windows/DOS tool. This is a basic rule that I see repeated everywhere,
    use Linux tools to do Linux partitions, use Windows/DOS tool to do
    Windows/DOS partitions.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 16, 2004

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <40f72aa0$>, says...
    >> Chris <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> > I see Dell have a special on at the moment for the above which
    >> > makes it look quite good price wise but I was wondering if Dell
    >> > supply a Windows XP CD or just the Recovery CD that I have been
    >> > told about. I did email Dell last night but their special runs out
    >> > tomorrow so though I'd ask here.
    >> >
    >> > Basically I'd like to reformat, partition the disk and then make my
    >> > own image.
    >> >
    >> > Would also be interested in any first (or second) hand accounts for
    >> > this model or any usefull url's to reviews.
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> >

    >> The Dell arrived yesterday. Tried to use QT Parted on a Knoppix CD
    >> but found that it wouldn't work the way I wanted due, to, I assume,
    >> some sectors of the HDD having "non movable" folders 'n files written
    >> to them. Used QT Parted to delete the original partition and make
    >> new ones.

    > If you want to make a Windows/DOS partition you should be using a
    > Windows/DOS tool. This is a basic rule that I see repeated everywhere,
    > use Linux tools to do Linux partitions, use Windows/DOS tool to do
    > Windows/DOS partitions.

    Yes, I would normally do that, but I didn't know at the time, that you can
    do that with the windows XP install CD (never installed windows XP before).
    I though I'd give QT Parted a go since I had Knoppix running to say a bit
    of time. Having said that, it seems to have worked. I have actually been
    looking at putting together a windows XP boot CD with such tools, but no
    luck getting anything yet. The only thing I came up with generated a *.img
    image and I can only burn *.iso so if anybody can point me in the right
    direct, i'd appreciate it.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 16, 2004
  4. In article <>, says...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <40f72aa0$>, says...
    > >> Chris <> wrote in

    > >> The Dell arrived yesterday. Tried to use QT Parted on a Knoppix CD
    > >> but found that it wouldn't work the way I wanted due, to, I assume,
    > >> some sectors of the HDD having "non movable" folders 'n files written
    > >> to them. Used QT Parted to delete the original partition and make
    > >> new ones.

    > > If you want to make a Windows/DOS partition you should be using a
    > > Windows/DOS tool. This is a basic rule that I see repeated everywhere,
    > > use Linux tools to do Linux partitions, use Windows/DOS tool to do
    > > Windows/DOS partitions.
    > >

    > Yes, I would normally do that, but I didn't know at the time, that you can
    > do that with the windows XP install CD (never installed windows XP before).
    > I though I'd give QT Parted a go since I had Knoppix running to say a bit
    > of time. Having said that, it seems to have worked. I have actually been
    > looking at putting together a windows XP boot CD with such tools, but no
    > luck getting anything yet. The only thing I came up with generated a *.img
    > image and I can only burn *.iso so if anybody can point me in the right
    > direct, i'd appreciate it.

    The Microsoft Corporation.img file is the boot image (generated by
    ISOBuster I presume)

    This needs to be incorporated into your iso file before you burn it. If
    you are running Nero Express or some other program that won't let you
    make an ISO separately with this file, get the Windows version of mkisofs
    and make the ISO that way.

    I use the CDRfe front end to make ISOs using the mkisofs win32 port
    running under cygwin. You can also run mkisofs in a win32 command window.

    Download from http://www.demosten.com/

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <>, says...
    >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > In article <40f72aa0$>, says...

    >> > If you want to make a Windows/DOS partition you should be using a
    >> > Windows/DOS tool. This is a basic rule that I see repeated
    >> > everywhere, use Linux tools to do Linux partitions, use Windows/DOS
    >> > tool to do Windows/DOS partitions.
    >> >

    >> Yes, I would normally do that, but I didn't know at the time, that
    >> you can do that with the windows XP install CD (never installed
    >> windows XP before). I though I'd give QT Parted a go since I had
    >> Knoppix running to say a bit of time. Having said that, it seems to
    >> have worked. I have actually been looking at putting together a
    >> windows XP boot CD with such tools, but no luck getting anything yet.
    >> The only thing I came up with generated a *.img image and I can only
    >> burn *.iso so if anybody can point me in the right direct, i'd
    >> appreciate it.

    > The Microsoft Corporation.img file is the boot image (generated by
    > ISOBuster I presume)

    No, I went here: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/ which sets out a way to make a
    boot disk image that you can include your own tools (using a batch file so
    the file properities don't get changed as they would if you draged the file
    to the CD). Have looked at the above, much reading to do I think.

    > This needs to be incorporated into your iso file before you burn it.
    > If you are running Nero Express or some other program that won't let
    > you make an ISO separately with this file, get the Windows version of
    > mkisofs and make the ISO that way.

    I have since found that the Sonic CD burning s/ware that comes with the
    Dell will burn an *.img file (though the resulting boot CD didn't work, due
    to my misconfiguration of the batch file I think).

    > I use the CDRfe front end to make ISOs using the mkisofs win32 port
    > running under cygwin. You can also run mkisofs in a win32 command
    > window.
    >
    > Download from http://www.demosten.com/

    The above sounds pretty complicated to me, but it looks like another way of
    doing the same thing I was trying to do via my url above (which seems to
    have gone offline now). I did go to the url, more reading required I
    think.

    I also tried booting the Dell via a USB Flash drive with the contents of my
    win98 boot disk (after changing back the file properities) to see what
    would happen - nothing other than a "file error" (no other information
    given).

    Basically all I want to do is to be able to boot the Dell into DOS so I can
    use an old copy of Ghost to make an image of C:\ I have had a look at some
    of the new shareware to image disks and I don't think it's as good as
    Ghost, which I have come to understand (with all the switches). Ghost also
    seems to be ale to compress the image the best out of all the other
    programs I have tried.

    There doesn't seem to be an "easy" solution to what I want to do, which
    seems a bit odd. I shall continue reading up on this.

    Thanks for your susgestions.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 19, 2004
  6. In article <>, says...

    > I also tried booting the Dell via a USB Flash drive with the contents of my
    > win98 boot disk (after changing back the file properities) to see what
    > would happen - nothing other than a "file error" (no other information
    > given).
    >
    > Basically all I want to do is to be able to boot the Dell into DOS so I can
    > use an old copy of Ghost to make an image of C:\ I have had a look at some
    > of the new shareware to image disks and I don't think it's as good as
    > Ghost, which I have come to understand (with all the switches). Ghost also
    > seems to be ale to compress the image the best out of all the other
    > programs I have tried.

    Are you not able to use the Ghost bootdisk wizard to make a boot disk or
    does that not come with your version of Ghost?

    What shareware products can be used to image drives?

    Bart's Boot Disk (same link as you quoted above) can make boot floppies
    that are Ghost compatible. I've never tried them - always use Ghost boot
    disks.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >> I also tried booting the Dell via a USB Flash drive with the contents
    >> of my win98 boot disk (after changing back the file properities) to
    >> see what would happen - nothing other than a "file error" (no other
    >> information given).
    >>
    >> Basically all I want to do is to be able to boot the Dell into DOS so
    >> I can use an old copy of Ghost to make an image of C:\ I have had a
    >> look at some of the new shareware to image disks and I don't think
    >> it's as good as Ghost, which I have come to understand (with all the
    >> switches). Ghost also seems to be ale to compress the image the best
    >> out of all the other programs I have tried.

    > Are you not able to use the Ghost bootdisk wizard to make a boot disk
    > or does that not come with your version of Ghost?

    I'm using version 5.1d and have always used the win98 boot disk with
    Ghost.exe included on it. I tried to make a bootable CD from this disk but
    when booting the Dell it came up with the error that the OS was missing.

    I have also tried installing Ghost on the Dell from the Norton Installer
    but got the error that it needed to be installed on a win 95 or 98 machine
    (My copy of Ghost will work with NTFS). I was able to install it using the
    Gohst setup.exe file from within the Ghost folder on the Norton CD. It was
    not possible to run it under a comand prompt, came up with error 8023 -
    Ghost can not run on Windows NT.... run under DOS...

    > What shareware products can be used to image drives?

    http://www.acronis.com
    http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm
    http://www.drive-image.com/
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adiskimage.html

    I'm not sure I'd want to compare all of them to Ghost though....

    > Bart's Boot Disk (same link as you quoted above) can make boot
    > floppies that are Ghost compatible. I've never tried them - always use
    > Ghost boot disks.

    I have used boot disk's from there in the past OK, problem I have now is no
    Floppy Drive. I did go buy a USB Flash but didn't have any luck with that
    either - just gave me a "disk error". I also checked to see if you can
    formatt the USB drive, which you can, but not make it a boot disk.

    I am assuming that it should be possible to boot the Dell to DOS AND use
    the DOS version of Ghost I have (which the manual says can handle NTFS file
    systems)

    I think my options are:
    1. Buy an external Floppy Drive
    2. Figure out how to build the image that incorporates Ghost so I have a
    bootable CD with Ghost. Of course this would assume that I can store the
    Ghost files on another partition on the same HDD. If I needed the CD drive
    for image files then I'd need to make the Flash drive bootable (I also have
    a built in smart card reader - but haven't looked into using that as a
    means to boot the Dell)

    So, which did come first ?, the chicken or the egg ? :)

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 20, 2004
  8. Chris