    past few weeks it won't allow me do any Updates. Anybody else having the
    same problem?

    Any advice?

    Starman, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Starman

    dave Guest

    Not really, except to say that I had same problem with a paid &
    registered version. I ran some trial stuff, and found that
    Spyware Doctor had let some executables through. So, I
    switched that machine to run ePestPatrol (?sp). There is less
    unknown stuff going on now, when I cont-alt-del in Win98SE; but
    there are still some persistent things there. I stopped using the
    machine for any web browsing.

    On another laptop I use frequently, I saved impt data files to a
    CD and did an unconditional reformat. Then Xandros 3.0
    installed without a hitch. My install CD was stuck to the back of
    a Linux Made EZ book ($19.95) at Barnes & N. I am browsing with
    Mozilla FireFox. So far, that machine has been running smoothly
    for about a month or so, connected with Verizon DSL.

    On second thought, there was one unexplained hitch. I noticed one
    night that while the machine was unattended, the modem had gotten
    *very* busy, downloading meg after meg. Since I am still a linux
    newbie, I didn't know how to find out what was going on. So, I just
    shut it down. After reboot, a couple of weeks ago, the machine has
    again been running smoothly. However, I have changed my habits.
    Instead of remaining connected while I am not using machine, I
    just disconnect DSL. When I need to go on net again, it only takes
    a couple of seconds to reopen connection. While all this may sound
    naive to a sophisticated newsgroup like this, I am not a geek-user.
    I just pass things along from time to time that have been helpful to
    me, as I try to get some work done, without having to take time out
    for a degree in Systems Engineering.

    dave

    dave, Jan 27, 2006

  3. Starman

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:22:21 GMT, "Starman"
    <> wrote:

    >I have Spyware Doctor and (the fully paid up registered version) and for the
    >past few weeks it won't allow me do any Updates. Anybody else having the
    >same problem?
    >
    >Any advice?

    Mine just updated OK

    The obvious one - contact the suppliers,

    http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/support/

    Question: Do I get free software upgrades and new releases?

    Answer: Yes, most of our products include a period of free upgrades
    for registered users.
    During this time you will receive all upgrades and new versions of the
    products that are released. The length of time and number of free
    upgrades is accessible from the relevant product home page.

    I believe its a years worth of updates free.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jan 27, 2006