Update on my adding memory post

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MB_, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    I recently asked questions about upgrading my Dell Dim 2400 memory. It came
    with 1 slot/256 MB.

    I got a lot of helpful advice/suggestions. For some reason, I was just VERY
    uptight about trying to even open the case, etc. I was afraid of messing
    things up as I am not particularly handy that way.

    Well, after doing some pricing, I ended up buying the memory at my local
    Best Buy Store. It was on sale for $24.99 (the bastards -- despite their
    lowest price guarantee -- wouldn't match Circuit City's sale of $19.95 as
    that involved a mail-in rebate).

    Anyway, the memory brand was Kingston Technologies (at least I've heard of
    them).

    As it turned out, the whole process from shutting down the computer, cutting
    the power, opening the case, adding the memory, booting up again, and making
    sure it recognized the added memory, took maybe 10 minutes. The most
    pleasant surprise was how easy it was to open this case (slide the latch and
    slide the case). I previously had a Gateway and for some reason the plastic
    case never quite fit right and it was a pain to remove and put back. Also,
    the memory snapped right in (I had to push a bit).

    Now, it will be interesting to see what differences there are for me with
    the increased memory.

    So, thanks for your help. I know many of you do this every day. At least I
    will have no hesitation in playing with the innards again if needed!

    I might add, when people complain about Dell Tech Support, I do think the
    best tech support is right here in this newsgroup and the Dell newsgroup.
    Folks are very nice about
    being helpful. Some of you are so knowledgeable that it would be very easy
    to be insulting or at least condescending. I haven't found that to be the
    case at all.

    Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I've just
    ordered a wireless Dell notebook and I just bought a linksys router. But
    I'll await arrival of the notebook before playing with that.

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 4, 2005

  2. MB_

    dadiOH Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > I recently asked questions about upgrading my Dell Dim 2400 memory.
    > It came with 1 slot/256 MB.
    >
    > Well, after doing some pricing, I ended up buying the memory at my
    > local Best Buy Store. It was on sale for $24.99 (the bastards --
    > despite their lowest price guarantee -- wouldn't match Circuit City's
    > sale of $19.95 as that involved a mail-in rebate).

    > Now, it will be interesting to see what differences there are for me
    > with the increased memory.

    Very few if any.

    --
    dadiOH