Update On BIOS Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Representative Trantis, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. I have sucessfully updated my BIOS.
    I have found the problem.
    I am running a AGP graphics card, which has always been a little unstable. I
    have never been able to run the processor at full speed with it, it has
    literally stalled everything and I have had to put in an old Voodoo graphics
    card just to be able to get the monitor on again to turn the settings back.
    This is what has been stalling the Windows XP installation.

    Can anyone please suggest a good replacement graphics card. (I have finally
    decided to bin it!)

    I have an american megatrends mainboard, model K7S5A, which now has a BIOS
    version which is only a few months old.
    When I replaced my mainboard to this I had a Voodoo graphics card in there,
    yet when I played video files their was a considerable amount of noise, by
    that I don't mean distorted picture, I mean crackling sound. I replaced it
    to the MSI MS-Starforce GeForce4 Ti4200 I have now. I need to replace this.

    Is the problem that I had with the Voodoo due to the fact that it was a PCI
    graphics card?
    Is the problem I have now related to the fact that it is an AGP card?
    What I am getting at is, can anyone who has this mainboard please recommend
    a good, reasonably priced, graphics card, perhaps PCI, which I could use as
    a replacement, which is very reliable, very stable, and can be used without
    conflics with Windows Xp.

    Thanks.
    Representative Trantis, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Representative Trantis

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Representative Trantis" <> wrote in

    > Is the problem that I had with the Voodoo due to the fact that it was
    > a PCI graphics card?

    No, it was unrelated

    > Is the problem I have now related to the fact that it is an AGP card?

    No, the problem is the card, not it's interface.

    Get yourself a decent GeForce FX5200 Ultra if you aren't really a power
    gamer, otherwise go for a 5900 or Radeon 9600.
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Representative Trantis

    mark mandel Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Representative Trantis" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Is the problem that I had with the Voodoo due to the fact that it was
    > > a PCI graphics card?

    > No, it was unrelated
    >
    > > Is the problem I have now related to the fact that it is an AGP card?

    > No, the problem is the card, not it's interface.
    >
    > Get yourself a decent GeForce FX5200 Ultra if you aren't really a power
    > gamer, otherwise go for a 5900 or Radeon 9600.

    Even a Radeon 9200 SE ain't bad as I can attest to, works fine on both my
    MSI and ASUS mobo's.
    mark mandel, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Representative Trantis

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in news:WabTb.7907$uM2.3816
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > Even a Radeon 9200 SE ain't bad as I can attest to, works fine on both my
    > MSI and ASUS mobo's.

    It works, but it's a ridiculously low end card. You can pick up an FX5200
    for under $50 and that is a much better card. ATI's 9x00 SE line just
    plain sucks.
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Representative Trantis

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in news:WabTb.7907$uM2.3816
    > @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > Even a Radeon 9200 SE ain't bad as I can attest to, works fine on both

    my
    > > MSI and ASUS mobo's.

    > It works, but it's a ridiculously low end card. You can pick up an FX5200
    > for under $50 and that is a much better card. ATI's 9x00 SE line just
    > plain sucks.

    But I seldom if ever run games and on one occasion when I did run one(a free
    demo of some silly war game from downloads.com)the graphics were great! (at
    least to me).

    So don't be too quick to judge.

    Mark Mandell
    mark mandel, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Representative Trantis

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in news:53uTb.9194$uM2.4499
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > So don't be too quick to judge.

    Who is being quick to judge? A retail 9200 SE goes for like $47+ shipping,
    while a retail FX5200 goes for $53+ shipping. I think $6 for a better
    quality card is not an unfair difference in price.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Representative Trantis

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in news:53uTb.9194$uM2.4499
    > @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > So don't be too quick to judge.

    > Who is being quick to judge? A retail 9200 SE goes for like $47+

    shipping,
    > while a retail FX5200 goes for $53+ shipping. I think $6 for a better
    > quality card is not an unfair difference in price.

    It's all a matter of taste and judgement. I'll stick with my 9200 SE, thank
    you.

    mark mandel, Feb 3, 2004