Update not installed: UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by gradivus, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. gradivus

    gradivus Guest

    I just set up my Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Version 2003 SP2) on an
    Intel Core2 Quad 2.83GHz with 4 (3.93) GB RAM.

    My computer is continually telling me there are new updates. When try to
    install the new updates, once the update process is over I get this message:

    The following updates were not installed:
    Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High
    Definition Audio

    So, a multi-part question:

    1. Do I really need this update?
    1a. If I haven't given enough info above, how do I find out if I really
    need it?

    2. If I do need it, how do I get it to install?

    3. If I don't need it...
    3a. Why does it keep telling me I need it?
    3b. How do I stop Windows Update from continuing to tell me I need to
    install it?
    3b1. If I do stop Windows Update from continuing to tell me I
    need to install it, might a future upgrade or new piece of HW or SW require
    it, but now I won't get a notification that I need it?

    Thanks in advance.

    gradivus, Aug 31, 2008

  2. To answer your question you need to look at your Hardware
    Device Manager properties and see if there is a UAA High
    Definition Audio device tagged with a yellow icon containing
    an exclamation point. If there is one, then you need the
    Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. Without
    that drive you will not be able to install the High
    Definition Audio drivers for the audio chip. If you don't
    want audio, then don't worry about it.

    Since you're talking about a piece of hardware on an Intel
    motherboard, you need to go to the vendor's site and check
    them for the latest hardware drivers.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 31, 2008