UPDATE: Mystery "Logging on to network" (dial up) takes long time

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brad, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks to everyone (especially Charlie R) who responded. I tried glee's
    procedure in part, there was no "Quick Logon" in mine. It didn't work.

    I used the link (see below) presented to me by Charlie R. What really
    fixed my problem, I unchecked "Log On To Network". WOW! Now
    I can log on in a "flash"!

    Brad

    From (thanks) www.altohiway.com/cgi-bin/knowledge/147.html :

    As default, Windows 9x sets options on a Dial-Up account which aren't
    actually necessary. This can often cause the "Verifying Username and
    Password" to take a very long time.

    The solution is to follow the below steps:

    1 - Double-click My Computer

    2 - Double-click Dial Up Networking

    3 - Right click on the Dial Up Connection you use, and click Properties

    4 - Click on the Server Types tab

    5 - Uncheck 'Log On To Network', 'NetBEUI' and 'IPX/SPX Compatible'

    6 - Click OK

    7 - Dial up again. You should find that the logging in process is now much
    quicker.

    Brad, Sep 28, 2006