    knows?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Hello,
    The files are stored in the winsxs folders under their proper
    version\component folders.
    There really isn't a way to remove those files easily without causing harm
    or potential harm to the system.
    You should not delete files from under these folders.
    Any one update can have multiple folders listed for that update and any
    component can have multiple listings depending on how many times that
    folder was updated. They are not listed per update.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Dec 7, 2007

  3. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]") wrote:

    > The files are stored in the winsxs folders under their proper
    > version\component folders.
    > There really isn't a way to remove those files easily without
    > causing harm or potential harm to the system.
    > You should not delete files from under these folders.
    > Any one update can have multiple folders listed for that update
    > and any component can have multiple listings depending on how many
    > times that folder was updated. They are not listed per update.

    Thanks, Darrell. It's an odd change, the files are very accessable in
    XP and easily deleted to regain disk space if one decides the update
    doesn't need to be removed so the question is.... why the change in
    Vista? I'm sure there's a reason for it but I can't imagine what it
    might be.

    XS11E, Dec 7, 2007
  4. It was unsafe to delete them on Windows XP too, but far fewer components
    made use of Fusion/WinSxS so you probably just didn't happen to hit it.

    Note that the size reported by doing a DIR or Properties on the \Windows
    directory is mis-leading because many of the files under Windows\WinSxS are
    hard links to files in Windows\System32 or \Program Files.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, XNA Developer Connection

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Dec 8, 2007
  5. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]" <> wrote:

    > It was unsafe to delete them on Windows XP too, but far fewer
    > components made use of Fusion/WinSxS so you probably just didn't
    > happen to hit it.
    >
    > Note that the size reported by doing a DIR or Properties on the
    > \Windows directory is mis-leading because many of the files under
    > Windows\WinSxS are hard links to files in Windows\System32 or
    > \Program Files.

    OK, thanks for the information.

    XS11E, Dec 8, 2007
  6. Hello,
    There may be a tool available when SP1 ships that allows for removal of
    some of the backed up old components which would allow you to free p some
    disk space.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Dec 14, 2007
  7. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]") wrote:

    > There may be a tool available when SP1 ships that allows for
    > removal of some of the backed up old components which would allow
    > you to free p some disk space.

    Thanks, Darrell, I sure hope so. Disk space isn't a major problem now
    with the current large hard drives but I remember having to run Stacker
    on my HD before I could install Windows 3.1!

    Old habits die hard, I've never been able to use more than 1/3 of my
    current harddrives in the last several years but I still delete
    everything that I can.

    XS11E, Dec 14, 2007