    (using the uninstall utility provided in the Firefox directory) then install
    0.9.1 (or can I just install over 0.9)?

    Thanks for any advice. -Pat

    Pat, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Pat

    Moz Champion Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > I would like to update from 0.9 to 0.9.1. I noticed that Firefox has an
    > update option under Tools/Options/Advanced, but it doesn't seem to work
    > (says there's no new updates). Is that because 0.9.1 is not an "official"
    > release yet?
    >
    > So what the best way to do this? Wait untill an official update is
    > available and use the built in update feature? Alterntively, uninstall 0.9
    > (using the uninstall utility provided in the Firefox directory) then install
    > 0.9.1 (or can I just install over 0.9)?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice. -Pat

    Um, other users have advised that even with the update feature, there are problems (like it not recognizing the update has been made).

    Since Firefox 0.9.1 has been released, its 'official' so yes, go ahead and update. Actual method of updating varies with your OS, but in my estimization, its never a good idea to update OVER a current version, but rather to update by downloading and installing the new version in a different folder or directory. With some systems this means moving the old version first.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to update from 0.9 to 0.9.1. I noticed that Firefox has an
    > > update option under Tools/Options/Advanced, but it doesn't seem to work
    > > (says there's no new updates). Is that because 0.9.1 is not an

    "official"
    > > release yet?
    > >
    > > So what the best way to do this? Wait untill an official update is
    > > available and use the built in update feature? Alterntively, uninstall

    0.9
    > > (using the uninstall utility provided in the Firefox directory) then

    install
    > > 0.9.1 (or can I just install over 0.9)?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice. -Pat
    > >

    > Um, other users have advised that even with the update feature, there are

    problems (like it not recognizing the update has been made).

    > Since Firefox 0.9.1 has been released, its 'official' so yes, go ahead and

    update. Actual method of updating varies with your OS, but in my
    estimization, its never a good idea to update OVER a current version, but
    rather to update by downloading and installing the new version in a
    different folder or directory. With some systems this means moving the old
    version first.

    > --
    > Mozilla Champion
    > UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    > Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    > Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/

    Thanks for the reply.

    I'm running Firefox on Windows XP, but I done see any point in keeping the
    old version so I'll probably just remove it first using the uninstaller.

    Also, is there anything special I need to do to retain all my current
    bookmarks and settings when doing the new install?

    Thanks again for your help. -Pat

    Pat, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Pat

    Pat, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Pat

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/1/2004 10:30 AM, Pat wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I'm running Firefox on Windows XP, but I done see any point in keeping the
    > old version so I'll probably just remove it first using the uninstaller.

    It's usually recommended to keep the old version until you verify there
    is nothing wrong with the new version.

    > Also, is there anything special I need to do to retain all my current
    > bookmarks and settings when doing the new install?

    Your bookmarks and settings are stored in your profile, which is
    separate from the Mozilla program. You do not need to do anything in
    order to retain them. In Windows XP your profile is stored under
    %appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles

    .BRIAN., Jul 1, 2004
  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    ".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On 7/1/2004 10:30 AM, Pat wrote:
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > I'm running Firefox on Windows XP, but I done see any point in keeping

    the
    > > old version so I'll probably just remove it first using the uninstaller.
    > >

    > It's usually recommended to keep the old version until you verify there
    > is nothing wrong with the new version.
    >
    > > Also, is there anything special I need to do to retain all my current
    > > bookmarks and settings when doing the new install?
    > >

    > Your bookmarks and settings are stored in your profile, which is
    > separate from the Mozilla program. You do not need to do anything in
    > order to retain them. In Windows XP your profile is stored under
    > %appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles
    >
    > > Thanks again for your help. -Pat
    > >

    > --
    > Brian