Update available

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Gerard Bok, Jun 15, 2010.

  1. Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok Guest

    Sometimes, after booting a PC I get a popup screen, informing me
    that an update is available. E.g. right now, from Adobe Flash.

    I do understand how this can be done on a PC that is on-line but
    the strange fact is, that I receive this message on a laptop that
    is not (currently) connected to anything. Also I don't see such
    messages on PCs that never have or had any internet connection.
    (The screen also indicates the number of the new version, which
    rules out that it could be a time-triggered update notice.)

    Can someone please explain how these screens get triggered ?
    Are '3rd party update notices' included / hidden in other updates
    like MS or antivirus products?

    And preferrably also how I can prevent this, as I tend to switch
    off any 'calling home' features ?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok