Upconverting, Many Inputs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by rob, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. rob

    rob Guest

    I have a setup centering around a HK 520. As good as the HK 520 is it
    has some serious limitations regarding the number of inputs and the
    conversions. What I want to feed into my amp is the TV signal, tape,
    CD, VCR, DVD, mp3/music server, replaytv, external source (video
    camera, digital camera, portable dvd player), etc. Unfortunatelly, my
    amp is not only running out of inputs but it also lacks the possibility
    to convert between all the different formats.So here is what I am
    looking for:

    1) Convert ANY low-res video to EDTV/HDTV.
    2) Convert ANY high-res video to SDTV (I have a SDTV but will upgrade
    to HDTV within 2 years)
    3) Support many input sources with various resolutions.

    So my question is what is the best way for me to go? I want to support
    many inputs and at least two outputs (SDTV/HDTV). Should I trash my
    HK520 and go for a better amp, maybe even having a pre-amp (my Denon
    receiver had considerable cross-over but my relatively cheap pioneer
    pre-/full-amp did perform quite well, my HK520 is somewhere in the
    middle). Or is there a up/down scaller that can do all the video
    conversion and then feed it to my HK 520 componet inputs? Even if so I
    wonder if I might lose resolution with a component output compared to
    ditial inputs to a TV.

    Any input is appreciated.
    rob, Jan 8, 2006