Upconverting HDMI DVD players - recommendations? Is Panasonic S77 the best?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Aaron, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    After getting a HDTV with HDMI input, I want an upconverting DVD
    player. I looked at my local stores and they have the following
    available:

    - Samsung HD-850 (*) and HD-851 - $130-$140
    - Toshiba SD-4980, SD-5980 (*), and SD-V593 (*) - $125-$150
    - Panasonic S77 (*) - $200-$225
    - LG Electronics (model # ???) - $150
    - Mitsubishi (model # ???) - $220 ?

    I tried the ones I marked with a (*) above. I liked the Panasonic S77
    the best because it can output HDMI audio while the coaxial/optical
    audio outs are in raw bitstream (not PCM) mode, but its picture is not
    $50 better than the Toshiba (in my opinion).

    Are there any other brands people recommend that are better and
    cheaper than the Panasonic S77?

    It's important to me that the player can output HDMI audio while the
    coaxial/optical outputs are in raw bitstream mode, and it would also
    be nice if the player could output 480i on S-video, 480p on component,
    and 1080i on HDMI at the same time. I know the Panasonic S77 can do
    that and the Toshiba and Samsung models can't.

    I saw the S97 listed on the Internet, but it appeared to be a model
    not meant for sale in the US. I had trouble finding very many useful
    reviews on Amazon or other sites (epinions and cnet) about these
    players. Are these the only upconverting HDMI DVD players widely
    available in the US or was I wrong to search using the terms
    "upconvert* HDMI DVD" on Google?

    Aaron, Sep 27, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    se says...
    > After getting a HDTV with HDMI input, I want an upconverting DVD
    > player. I looked at my local stores and they have the following
    > available:
    >
    > - Samsung HD-850 (*) and HD-851 - $130-$140
    > - Toshiba SD-4980, SD-5980 (*), and SD-V593 (*) - $125-$150
    > - Panasonic S77 (*) - $200-$225
    > - LG Electronics (model # ???) - $150
    > - Mitsubishi (model # ???) - $220 ?

    Carefully read this review of several models, first. You may want to
    wait for BluRay/HD-DVD instead:
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=870

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    Andrew Rossmann, Sep 27, 2005

  3. Aaron

    Guest Guest

    Always listen those who have one. You may not get true HD(get a D-VHS for
    that), but you get the best DVD you can right now. There is a difference.
    Even some people who don't know one technology from another saw it. The
    Panasonic is the champ.

    --
    www.unclet.netfirms.com

    Guest, Sep 27, 2005