up grade win.me to win. xp

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by beenthere, May 13, 2006.

  1. beenthere

    beenthere Guest

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    news:vcr9g.17$...
    >I have a dell computer with win. M E installed and I wanted to upgrade to
    > win. xp. so I took it to a computer fix it shop and was told that it could
    > not be done . I was told that win.me
    > would stay in the system and would disrupt the win.xp system........Is
    > this
    > true? can someone help me thanks [[pat]]..

    You can format the drive, and do a new install of XP.
    What they were talking about was `overlaying XP into ME.
    The best bet is to insert your XP CD, and do a compatibilty
    check to see if XP would create problems with your hardware,
    and existing software.

    beenthere, May 13, 2006

  2. beenthere

    Clued Weasel Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 14:18:04 -0700, "detap" <> wrote:

    >I have a dell computer with win. M E installed and I wanted to upgrade to
    >win. xp. so I took it to a computer fix it shop and was told that it could
    >not be done . I was told that win.me
    >would stay in the system and would disrupt the win.xp system........Is this
    >true? can someone help me thanks [[pat]]..

    Find a new shop. According to this you can upgrade from ME to XP;

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/installquick.mspx

    detap, May 13, 2006
  4. beenthere

    Trax Guest

    "detap" <> wrote:

    |>I have a dell computer with win. M E installed and I wanted to upgrade to
    |>win. xp. so I took it to a computer fix it shop and was told that it could
    |>not be done . I was told that win.me
    |>would stay in the system and would disrupt the win.xp system........Is this
    |>true? can someone help me thanks [[pat]]..

    They were protecting themselves and telling the truth.

    Updating ME to XP (XP installed over ME) can cause any number of
    problems, or not., They were going with the odds; best to refuse the
    job than have you there every week complaining.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    Trax, May 13, 2006
  5. beenthere

    Dan Evans Guest

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    >I have a dell computer with win. M E installed and I wanted to upgrade to
    > win. xp. so I took it to a computer fix it shop and was told that it could
    > not be done . I was told that win.me
    > would stay in the system and would disrupt the win.xp system........Is
    > this
    > true? can someone help me thanks [[pat]]..

    It's possible to do, but an upgrade rather than a clean install can lead to
    problems.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, May 14, 2006
  6. beenthere

    JANA Guest

    It is best to do a clean install. Backup all your user files. Do the install
    from scratch. Before doing the install, run the compatibility test.

    XP Home will work on most any Pentium or equivalent computer.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, May 14, 2006
  7. JANA wrote:

    > XP Home will work on most any Pentium or equivalent computer.

    I have a 90 mHz Pentium I with a 200 MB hard drive and 32 MB of ram. Can
    I use XP Home? It was a US$3,000 computer, so XP should work, right?

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 14, 2006
  8. beenthere

    SgtMinor Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > JANA wrote:
    >

    >>XP Home will work on most any Pentium or equivalent computer.

    > I have a 90 mHz Pentium I with a 200 MB hard drive and 32 MB of ram. Can
    > I use XP Home? It was a US$3,000 computer, so XP should work, right?

    It'll run like a top. Especially if you add Norton Anti-Virus.

    --
    "I'm quite sure."

    SgtMinor, May 14, 2006
  9. "JANA" <> wrote in message

    > XP Home will work on most any Pentium or equivalent computer.

    WTF?

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, May 14, 2006
  10. SgtMinor wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> JANA wrote:

    >>> XP Home will work on most any Pentium or equivalent computer.

    >> I have a 90 mHz Pentium I with a 200 MB hard drive and 32 MB of ram.
    >> Can I use XP Home? It was a US$3,000 computer, so XP should work,
    >> right?

    > It'll run like a top. Especially if you add Norton Anti-Virus.

    You made my tummy hurt.

    rl

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 14, 2006
  11. beenthere

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    > I have a 90 mHz Pentium I with a 200 MB hard drive and 32 MB of ram. Can
    > I use XP Home? It was a US$3,000 computer, so XP should work, right?

    Was that a joke???
    I believe you the $3000 price tag when you bought this machine 15 years
    ago...
    Continue using DOS or Win 95, or donate this oldie to a museaum!
    You can install Windows XP, but it will take you 5 minutes to open... and
    you HDD won't have space for further programs... and you don't have free
    space for swapping files, etc.

    Sigi Rindler, May 14, 2006
  12. beenthere

    Dan Evans Guest

    > JANA wrote:
    >
    >> XP Home will work on most any Pentium or equivalent computer.

    > I have a 90 mHz Pentium I with a 200 MB hard drive and 32 MB of ram. Can
    > I use XP Home? It was a US$3,000 computer, so XP should work, right?

    My van was 14,000 EUR in 1997, so it should have air conditioning, power
    steering, electric windows etc, right?

    Cost new when something is that old is no guarantee.

    Dan Evans, May 14, 2006
  13. beenthere

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 14:18:04 -0700, detap wrote:

    > I have a dell computer with win. M E installed and I wanted to upgrade to
    > win. xp. so I took it to a computer fix it shop and was told that it could
    > not be done . I was told that win.me
    > would stay in the system and would disrupt the win.xp system........Is this
    > true? can someone help me thanks [[pat]]..

    You can upgrade but I sure the **** wouldn't. Do a fresh install after you
    verify that your Dell has complete driver support for XP.

    Meat Plow, May 14, 2006
  14. Sigi Rindler wrote:

    >> I have a 90 mHz Pentium I with a 200 MB hard drive and 32 MB of ram. Can
    >> I use XP Home? It was a US$3,000 computer, so XP should work, right?

    > Was that a joke???

    Of course it was a joke. Sorry you and Dan didn't realize that. It was
    just a rebuttal to show the absurdity of JANA's statement.

    > I believe you the $3000 price tag when you bought this machine 15
    > years ago... Continue using DOS or Win 95, or donate this oldie to a
    > museaum! ...

    It is long gone. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 14, 2006
  15. beenthere

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    >> JANA wrote:
    >>
    >>> XP Home will work on most any Pentium or equivalent computer.

    >> I have a 90 mHz Pentium I with a 200 MB hard drive and 32 MB of ram. Can
    >> I use XP Home? It was a US$3,000 computer, so XP should work, right?

    > My van was 14,000 EUR in 1997

    14,000 euros? You must have found a very forward-thinking dealership to buy
    it from...

    Rich Wilson, May 14, 2006
  16. beenthere

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have a 90 mHz Pentium I with a 200 MB hard drive and 32 MB of ram. Can
    >>> I use XP Home? It was a US$3,000 computer, so XP should work, right?

    >> My van was 14,000 EUR in 1997

    > 14,000 euros? You must have found a very forward-thinking dealership to
    > buy it from...

    If I told you it cost 2,3 million, would that make it easier?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, May 14, 2006
  17. beenthere

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message

    >>> My van was 14,000 EUR in 1997

    >> 14,000 euros? You must have found a very forward-thinking dealership to
    >> buy it from...

    > If I told you it cost 2,3 million, would that make it easier?

    Nope, I'd just get confused by the strange conflicting punctuation standards
    we seem to use. Or should I say the way the Europeans can't get their points
    and commas the right way round :)

    And anyway I'd still be worried that you were using a currency that wasn't
    going to be introduced for another 2 years!

    Rich Wilson, May 14, 2006
  18. beenthere

    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    >>> 14,000 euros? You must have found a very forward-thinking dealership to
    >>> buy it from...

    >> If I told you it cost 2,3 million, would that make it easier?

    > Nope, I'd just get confused by the strange conflicting punctuation
    > standards we seem to use. Or should I say the way the Europeans can't get
    > their points and commas the right way round :)
    >
    > And anyway I'd still be worried that you were using a currency that wasn't
    > going to be introduced for another 2 years!

    That was in Pesetas.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, May 15, 2006