Up for a chalenge?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Kurt, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    OK, Here's a REAL case study for my fellow MCSE's and soon-to-be's. It's
    long, so skip if you're not interested. I don't think you'll find this one
    on any tests, but it's real and sure had me scratching my head for a good
    hour. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

    I set up a single W2K3 DC in a one-domain new forest for a small medical
    office. Pre-joined 4 XP clients and connected in a training room so their
    software vendor could do training prior to the rollout. Created user
    accounts, placed in an OU - "Staff". 2 GPOs linked to the OU, one runs a
    logon script (nothing fancy, just maps drives and printers). The other
    re-directs My Documents to the server for central backup. Server is
    multi-homed, one connected to the LAN and the other to a wireless AP for 2
    mobile tablet PCs. Their primary software vendor specified Terminal Services
    for the wireless on a separate subnet, no routing, so all protocols except
    TCP/IP are disabled on that interface. Everything fires up, workstations
    join without problem, group policy is applied correctly, training goes off
    without a hitch, mobile tablets connect with an RDP session - all is well,
    life is good.

    Then comes deployment in the office. I am asked to set it up so that users
    can have the same application settings at any workstation (but not roaming
    profiles). After a little research, I decided to use a GPO to redirect
    "Application Settings" to the same directory as "My Documents" (Since it's
    already being backed up). When I attempt to access the GPO cache for the OU,
    I get the message:

    Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
    CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=thisdomai
    n,DC=local. The file must be present at the location
    <\\thisdomain.local\sysvol\thisdomain.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945
    F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Configuration information could not be read from
    the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access
    has been denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

    The event ID is 1058.

    Just to get you started, there are no SMB signing conflicts and the
    "everyone" group has read and execute permissions to the root.

    Give it your best shot, I'll post hints as required and tell you when you're
    getting warmer!

    Kurt, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Kurt

    Neil Guest

    yada, yada, yada "Kurt" <> said...yada, yada, yada in

    > OK, Here's a REAL case study for my fellow MCSE's and soon-to-be's.

    the answer is D...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Kurt

    kpg Guest

    kpg, Oct 1, 2004
  4. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    Kurt, Oct 1, 2004
  5. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    The clue is in the error message, which refers to \\thisdomain.local\sysvol,
    rather than \\server\sysvol. If you ping server, it resolves to the wired
    network with a full suite of protocols, services, clients. However, for
    whatever reason, when you ping (or nslookup) thisdomain, it resolves to the
    other (wireless) network. Since group policy is read from a share, and since
    everything but TCP/IP was disabled (like file and print sharing), the server
    could not read from it's own share. After enabling file and print sharing on
    the other interface, everything was hunky-dory. There was never a problem
    reading the policies from a wired client because windows DNS always resolves
    to the same subnet as the request came from. But the server itself would
    resolve to either of it's IP addresses. There's probably a way to force
    resolution to one interface. I'll have to research it.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Oct 2, 2004
  6. Kurt

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Kurt" <> wrote in

    > OK, Here's a REAL case study for my fellow MCSE's and
    > soon-to-be's. It's long, so skip if you're not interested. I don't
    > think you'll find this one on any tests, but it's real and sure
    > had me scratching my head for a good hour. The names have been
    > changed to protect the innocent.
    >

    > I set up a single W2K3 DC in a one-domain new forest for a small
    > medical office. Pre-joined 4 XP clients and connected in a
    > training room so their software vendor could do training prior to
    > the rollout. Created user accounts, placed in an OU - "Staff". 2
    > GPOs linked to the OU, one runs a logon script (nothing fancy,
    > just maps drives and printers). The other re-directs My Documents
    > to the server for central backup. Server is multi-homed, one
    > connected to the LAN and the other to a wireless AP for 2 mobile
    > tablet PCs. Their primary software vendor specified Terminal
    > Services for the wireless on a separate subnet, no routing, so all
    > protocols except TCP/IP are disabled on that interface. Everything
    > fires up, workstations join without problem, group policy is
    > applied correctly, training goes off without a hitch, mobile
    > tablets connect with an RDP session - all is well, life is good.
    >

    > Then comes deployment in the office. I am asked to set it up so
    > that users can have the same application settings at any
    > workstation (but not roaming profiles). After a little research, I
    > decided to use a GPO to redirect "Application Settings" to the
    > same directory as "My Documents" (Since it's already being backed
    > up). When I attempt to access the GPO cache for the OU, I get the
    > message:
    >

    > Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
    > CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=
    > thisdomai n,DC=local. The file must be present at the location
    > <\\thisdomain.local\sysvol\thisdomain.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D
    > -11D2-945 F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Configuration information
    > could not be read from the domain controller, either because the
    > machine is unavailable, or access has been denied. ). Group Policy
    > processing aborted.
    >

    > The event ID is 1058.
    >

    > Just to get you started, there are no SMB signing conflicts and
    > the "everyone" group has read and execute permissions to the root.
    >

    > Give it your best shot, I'll post hints as required and tell you
    > when you're getting warmer!

    DFSUtil:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q830676

    Adam Leinss, Oct 2, 2004
  7. Kurt

    kpg Guest

    > No.

    Well in that case I'll have to agree with Neil.

    The answer is D.

    Unless Laura disagrees, then I'll go with whatever she says.

    --
    kpg A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come

    kpg, Oct 4, 2004
  8. Kurt

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "kpg" <> said in

    >> No.

    > Well in that case I'll have to agree with Neil.
    >
    > The answer is D.
    >
    > Unless Laura disagrees, then I'll go with whatever she says.

    I'll try this first
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q842804

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Oct 4, 2004
  9. Neil wrote:
    > incase you missed it "kpg" <> said in
    >
    >>> No.

    >> Well in that case I'll have to agree with Neil.
    >>
    >> The answer is D.
    >>
    >> Unless Laura disagrees, then I'll go with whatever she says.
    >>

    > I'll try this first
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q842804

    Congrats... (#6187)

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Oct 4, 2004
  10. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    I did all that, still wasn't the problem. Actually the answer is "Z".

    Kurt, Oct 5, 2004
  11. *Scratching his head, and wondering if any of you actually TRIED to solve
    this.*
    *Scratching his head, and wondering if any of you CAN actually solve this*
    If you can solve this (since the smart ass comments are because the problem
    is soooooooo easy

    >We have all the morons we need, Hor-hay. What kind of a prospective
    >sysadmin couldn't have answered that question themselves?

    >Right.

    >That's why the smarta$$ answers and comments.

    >But thanks for playing. (thank you JaR for giving me this quote. Granted,

    it's from anothe thread, but it makes your point so clear.)

    then, by all means.. Show us wayward beginners what the answer is.. I'm
    curious, but I don't know where to start. I'll admit that.. I'm not afraid
    to admit that I'm a beginner. Are you afraid to actually SHOW that you know
    what you're talking about? Or are you just blowing smoke up everyone's a$$
    by claiming you do and making smart a$$ comments in a newsgroup.

    Bottom feeders, I swear.
    Patrick

    --
    Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you...

    Patrick Dickey--MSN Beta Tester, Oct 5, 2004
  12. Kurt

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Patrick Dickey--MSN Beta Tester
    climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    > *Scratching his head, and wondering if any of you actually TRIED to
    > solve this.*
    > *Scratching his head, and wondering if any of you CAN actually solve
    > this* If you can solve this (since the smart ass comments are because
    > the problem is soooooooo easy
    >
    >>We have all the morons we need, Hor-hay. What kind of a prospective
    >>sysadmin couldn't have answered that question themselves?

    >>Right.

    >>That's why the smarta$$ answers and comments.

    >>But thanks for playing. (thank you JaR for giving me this quote.
    >>Granted,

    > it's from anothe thread, but it makes your point so clear.)
    >
    > then, by all means.. Show us wayward beginners what the answer is..
    > I'm curious, but I don't know where to start. I'll admit that.. I'm
    > not afraid to admit that I'm a beginner. Are you afraid to actually
    > SHOW that you know what you're talking about? Or are you just blowing
    > smoke up everyone's a$$ by claiming you do and making smart a$$
    > comments in a newsgroup.
    >
    > Bottom feeders, I swear.
    > Patrick

    Excuse me, dipwad. The quote above was in response to the following
    wherein some luser wants to know how to upgrade his MCSA to MCSE, was
    made fun of, and Horhay rode in on his white horse to defend the idiot.
    If I really cared about the question you are referring to, I would have
    attempted to find the answer. I don't, so I didn't. Don't attribute sh$t
    to me that I didn't post, Deity knows I can get myself into all the
    trouble I need without help. Post in question is pasted below.
    Authenticity requires that I leave it in it's original top-posted state.

    Oh, and kiss my a$$.

    JaR
    Bottom Feeding Candidate

    *************
    Ok people if you dont have any information to share why other people on
    the
    news site please dont make stupid answer, maybe you dont have any
    certification and this is your point of see, and dont put bad information
    please this is for share information why other peoples and dont for put
    stupid answer, ok

    and Alfred you need to take the exam 70-292 this is the upgrade for you
    mcsa
    2000 certification to mcsa 2003 certification and need to check on you
    mcp
    site your carer training here you find who exams need to pass to get you
    mcse 2003, im think you need the 70-293, 70-294 and one of design 70-297
    why
    this 3 exams and your upgrade you become to a mcse 2003

    Espero la informacion les pueda ayudar

    L.S.C. Jorge Garcia Fuentes

    MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSA +Messaging,MCSA +Security, MCSE, MCSE +Security
    Comptia Network +, Security +
    Cisco CCNA, CCNP Candidate
    Puebla, Mexico.

    Este mensaje se proporciona "como est " sin garant¡as de ninguna clase, y
    no
    otorga ning£n derecho.
    rights.
    You assume all risk for your use.

    JaR, Oct 6, 2004
  13. And, JaR, you misread what I put in here.. Your quote on the other thread
    pretty much describes the attitudes of MOST of the posters in here IMHO.
    That's why I posted it as part of my comment. And, I did say "Granted it's
    from another thread, but it makes your point so clear." It wasn't directed
    at you and you alone.. But, at all of the smart a$$ comments I've read in
    here.

    It's pretty pathetic, IMHO, that the only people who actually try to answer
    the 'idiots' are either MVP's, or other new people. (Occasionally, some of
    the others try, but most of what I've seen are stupid smart a$$ comments,
    making fun of them.)

    Since I'm on the roll here, I'll give my thoughts to you.. No replies are
    necessary though.
    1. If the person is too lazy to search through everything (and just asks
    for all of the answers here), it doesn't matter if you help them or not.. In
    the end, they will fail. But, you should try to help them anyhow, because
    they may change.
    2. If the person isn't sure where to look, then they're supposed to post
    here.. Even if the answer should be obvious. And, I would imagine that as
    MCP's or whatever certification you hold (since some post in more than one
    group), it's your duty to help them find their way. Otherwise, you wouldn't
    post in here, right???
    3. Have you considered the possibility that your smart a$$ed comments may
    turn someone that has the potential to be a GREAT MCP away from the idea?

    In the end, it doesn't matter. People will still come in here and ask
    'stupid' questions (Even though everyone here's that there's No such thing
    as a stupid question). People will still slam them or be smart a$$es in
    their replies. And, some will go on to take their tests, while others will
    walk away saying "if that's what I get for becoming certified with
    Microsoft, I don't want it."

    Patrick Dickey--MSN Beta Tester, Oct 6, 2004
  14. Kurt

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Oct 5, 2004 at 9:46pm "Patrick Dickey--MSN Beta Tester" blathered:

    > And, JaR, you misread what I put in here.. Your quote on the other
    > thread pretty much describes the attitudes of MOST of the posters in
    > here IMHO. That's why I posted it as part of my comment. And, I did say
    > "Granted it's from another thread, but it makes your point so clear."
    > It wasn't directed at you and you alone.. But, at all of the smart a$$
    > comments I've read in here.
    >
    > It's pretty pathetic, IMHO, that the only people who actually try to
    > answer the 'idiots' are either MVP's, or other new people.
    > (Occasionally, some of the others try, but most of what I've seen are
    > stupid smart a$$ comments, making fun of them.)
    >
    > Since I'm on the roll here, I'll give my thoughts to you.. No replies
    > are necessary though.

    I'll reply.

    > 1. If the person is too lazy to search through everything (and just
    > asks for all of the answers here), it doesn't matter if you help them or
    > not.. In the end, they will fail. But, you should try to help them
    > anyhow, because they may change.

    The problem is a lot of them don't "fail". If they come here looking for
    br@indumps, che@tsheets, or easy answers and some eventually find them.
    Then they use these materials to obtain a certification they don't deserve.

    > 2. If the person isn't sure where to look, then they're supposed to
    > post here.. Even if the answer should be obvious. And, I would imagine
    > that as MCP's or whatever certification you hold (since some post in
    > more than one group), it's your duty to help them find their way.
    > Otherwise, you wouldn't post in here, right???

    Wrong. It is not our "duty" to help anyone "find their way". I took out a
    loan for a sh1t load of money (which was a waste by the way) to pay for
    training, studied my a$$ off, and EARNED my certifications.

    > 3. Have you considered the possibility that your smart a$$ed comments
    > may turn someone that has the potential to be a GREAT MCP away from the
    > idea?

    Doubtful. A great MCP is one who knows how to research, not look to others
    to give them all the answers.

    > In the end, it doesn't matter. People will still come in here and ask
    > 'stupid' questions (Even though everyone here's that there's No such
    > thing as a stupid question). People will still slam them or be smart
    > a$$es in their replies. And, some will go on to take their tests, while
    > others will walk away saying "if that's what I get for becoming
    > certified with Microsoft, I don't want it."

    Good. The market is already flooded enough with idiots masquerading as
    "Certified Professionals".

    --
    TechGeekPro, MCNGP #36
    MCNGP.com - We're here to help!

    TechGeekPro, Oct 6, 2004
  15. Kurt

    JaR Guest

    "Patrick Dickey--MSN Beta Tester" <pd1ckey43(removeThis)@msn.com> wrote in
    message news:...
    > And, JaR, you misread what I put in here.. Your quote on the other thread
    > pretty much describes the attitudes of MOST of the posters in here IMHO.
    > That's why I posted it as part of my comment. And, I did say "Granted
    > it's
    > from another thread, but it makes your point so clear." It wasn't
    > directed
    > at you and you alone.. But, at all of the smart a$$ comments I've read in
    > here.

    No, I misread nothing. You used my quote because you could not find another
    relavent one in the thread in question. That is misrepresenting what I said,
    and I'll be darned if I'll let it slide. It did nothing to clarify your
    point as it was totally irrelevant.

    > It's pretty pathetic, IMHO, that the only people who actually try to
    > answer
    > the 'idiots' are either MVP's, or other new people. (Occasionally, some
    > of
    > the others try, but most of what I've seen are stupid smart a$$ comments,
    > making fun of them.)

    Look at some of the other certification groups. There are maybe a half-dozen
    posts in each, and half of those are spam. The others are the predictable "I
    can't find my a$$ with both hands and a flashlight!" posts. Granted, the
    signal to noise ratio in this group is out of whack, but at tleast there is
    activity. If you'd bothered to lurk fior a bit before passing judgement on
    the regulars in here, you would have noticed that legitimate questions and
    concerns will get an answer, assuming sombody knows the answer. The rest, as
    has been mentioned before is merely the noise the machine makes when the
    hopper is empty. (I like that, Rowdy, thanx)

    > Since I'm on the roll here, I'll give my thoughts to you.. No replies are
    > necessary though.
    > 1. If the person is too lazy to search through everything (and just asks
    > for all of the answers here), it doesn't matter if you help them or not..
    > In
    > the end, they will fail. But, you should try to help them anyhow, because
    > they may change.

    If they are capable of change, the best thing we could do for a future
    sysadmin is give them a swift kick in the pants and tell them to research
    the problem. If that doesn't work, they'll never be worth crap anyway. MCSE
    does not stand for Must Consult Someone Else. Even if most of the IT
    industry now believes it does.

    > 2. If the person isn't sure where to look, then they're supposed to post
    > here.. Even if the answer should be obvious.

    I disagree. Emphatically! A person should always try to find an answer for
    themselves FIRST! Then if all else fails, seek the advice of their peers.

    > And, I would imagine that as
    > MCP's or whatever certification you hold (since some post in more than one
    > group), it's your duty to help them find their way.

    My *duty*??? Why? I gained my certifications with the expectation of making
    money. I passed the exams with little help from anyone else. It became
    glaringly apparent after I first started luking in this group that the way
    to knowledge was not to be spoon fed, but to spend the time to find out why
    thing worked the way they did.

    >Otherwise, you wouldn't
    > post in here, right???

    The reasons I continue to hang out in these NGs are twofold; every once in a
    while I learn something new, and it's a fun way to break the tedium of the
    workday.

    > 3. Have you considered the possibility that your smart a$$ed comments may
    > turn someone that has the potential to be a GREAT MCP away from the idea?

    If a few smart a$$ comments are enough to deter someone from pursuing their
    goals, they were unlikely to have had much of a future in the field. What
    the fsck will they do the first time the server crashes, nobody is there to
    help, 200 users are screaming their heads off because they can't get to
    their data, and the boss is threatening to can them if the system's not back
    on line in an hour? A "GREAT MCP"? Gimme a break!

    >n the end, it doesn't matter. People will still come in here and ask
    > 'stupid' questions (Even though everyone here's that there's No such thing
    > as a stupid question).

    In this field there is. We see the same ones posted in here every freaking
    day.

    >People will still slam them or be smart a$$es in
    > their replies. And, some will go on to take their tests, while others
    > will
    > walk away saying "if that's what I get for becoming certified with
    > Microsoft, I don't want it."

    And don't let the door hit them in the a$$ on the way out.

    JaR
    MCNGP #22

    JaR, Oct 6, 2004
  16. Kurt

    Kendal Emery Guest

    OK, my turn.....
    > 1. If the person is too lazy to search through everything (and just asks
    > for all of the answers here), it doesn't matter if you help them or not..

    In
    > the end, they will fail. But, you should try to help them anyhow, because
    > they may change.

    They only way they will change is if we don't help them. If they want this
    bad enough, then they will figure out that they have to find answers for
    themsleves. As the wise old saying goes, "Give me a fish and I will eat
    for a day, teach me to fish, and I'll eat for a lifetime" We have taught
    them the proverbial fishing tip of google, and they can't or won't even
    grasp that.. I am too busy fishing for myself to fish for them.

    > 2. If the person isn't sure where to look, then they're supposed to post
    > here.. Even if the answer should be obvious. And, I would imagine that as
    > MCP's or whatever certification you hold (since some post in more than one
    > group), it's your duty to help them find their way. Otherwise, you

    wouldn't
    > post in here, right???

    How many times do we have to say google? And my "duty" is to work for my
    boss, and to help him with his problems. I don't have any duty to anyone
    else. This isn't a pro bono situation, and even then, pro bono doesn't
    refer to attorneys....

    > 3. Have you considered the possibility that your smart a$$ed comments may
    > turn someone that has the potential to be a GREAT MCP away from the idea?

    Then they are not now, or probably will never be a GREAT MCP. Even
    mediocre MCP's should know how to find answers. And since I am probably not
    on line at 2:00 in the morning, when their server is dead, then they will
    have to learn to study for themselves.

    If you are that much of a bleeding heart, then maybe you shoudl give all of
    them your home number, so they can call you when their server is dead.
    --
    Kendal Emery
    MCNGP #19

    Kendal Emery, Oct 6, 2004
  17. Kurt

    kpg Guest

    >The rest, as
    > has been mentioned before is merely the noise the machine makes when the
    > hopper is empty. (I like that, Rowdy, thanx)

    Um, That's my red stapler.

    kp "no respect, no respect at all" g

    kpg, Oct 12, 2004
  18. Kurt

    >>The rest, as
    >> has been mentioned before is merely the noise the machine makes when
    >> the hopper is empty. (I like that, Rowdy, thanx)

    > Um, That's my red stapler.
    >
    > kp "no respect, no respect at all" g

    PC LOAD LETTER?!?!?! What the Fsck is that supposed to mean?!?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Oct 12, 2004
  19. Kurt

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, kpg climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    >>The rest, as
    >> has been mentioned before is merely the noise the machine makes when
    >> the hopper is empty. (I like that, Rowdy, thanx)

    > Um, That's my red stapler.
    >
    > kp "no respect, no respect at all" g

    Mea culpa. Thank you kp "RIP Rodney" g.

    JaR
    Attributed Candidate

    JaR, Oct 12, 2004
  20. Kurt

    kpg Guest

    and believe you me, the hopper is often empty.

    kp "pass the ear muffs" g

    kpg, Oct 12, 2004