    how can we resolve it as they need to be able to unzip files.

    Many thanks

    Sean
    Seanb72, Feb 8, 2008

  2. Hi,
    have a look at the file extension to application relation on the 32bit pcs
    and check, if they are the same on the 64 bitters
    check if the app is installed anyway
    jk
    Juergen Kluth, Feb 8, 2008

  3. Seanb72

    Theo Guest

    There must be some underlying reason causing the problem.
    Win x64 & Vista x64 will unzip standard zip compressed files
    without any additional tools or utilities.

    You can also get WinZip and 7-Zip for x64.

    Perhaps the file integrity is not being maintained when
    transferring to x64.

    Theo, Feb 8, 2008
  4. Seanb72

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    XP 64 and Vista 64 both treat Zip files much as they do conventional
    directories/folders. Navigate to the zip using Computer. Double left mouse
    click on the file. Copy the desired item(s) wherever you want or cut/paste
    at your option. Or right mouse click and choose the appropriate option. If
    those options are not available to you, there is some underlying problem.
    Let us know.

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Feb 8, 2008
  5. I suspect your users are used to using right click in Windows Explorer with
    the files. Which, if you're using an older version of WinZip, won't work.
    You can either upgrade to the newer version of WinZip, which does support
    right click in Windows Explorer, or you can use a different program.
    Personally, I prefer WinRAR. They've been very good about supporting 64bit
    since it released.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 8, 2008
  6. Seanb72

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I think this group would give you a more precise answer if you elaborated
    the phrase "are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in the
    way that they could".
    How are they sent (e-mail, what program, usb pen drive, etc.)?
    What program do they use to unzip?
    What is the unzipping location (e-mail, windows explorer, etc.)?
    That would narrow down the many causes to this issue.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 9, 2008
  7. Seanb72

    philo Guest

    "Seanb72" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, can anyone give me any advice on the following. The company I work for
    > has recently installed some new CAD pc's that run xp 64bit. The problem is
    > that the users are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in

    the
    > way that they could on their old xp 32 bit pc's.
    >
    > Any suggestions or info on why this is the case with the 64bit version and
    > how can we resolve it as they need to be able to unzip files.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Sean

    XP can handle .zip files
    but there are many other forms of compression than .zip

    have a look at the extension and if it's something other than .zip
    you will need the appropriate decompression utility
    philo, Feb 10, 2008
  8. Seanb72

    spud8oy Guest

    I would recommend WINRAR, I run a 32bit and a 64bit machine and im
    constanly transferring zip and rar files between them and WINRAR never
    had any problems.

    --
    spud8oy
    http://www.techtalkz.com - Technology and Computer Troubleshooting Forums