    What is the purpose of this program.exe and
    Why did my program.exe not provide the necessary assistance?....
    Larry
    larry, Jan 28, 2004

  2. larry

    Rifleman Guest

    "larry" <> wrote in message
    news:FuRRb.242$...
    > First I should admit that I have not unzipped a zip file in

    years....mainly
    > because I am overly concerned that it may infect my computer...
    >
    > Very recently, however, I needed some information which came to me in a

    zip
    > file...I put the file in it's own folder and double clicked on it....My
    > computer quickly came back with a notification that I needed a file called
    > program.exe....I checked my computer using... find ...and found a file
    > called program.exe....
    > I got the two files under the same folder but my computer is still asking
    > for the file....
    > I guess if have two questions...
    > What is the purpose of this program.exe and
    > Why did my program.exe not provide the necessary assistance?....
    > Larry

    Program.exe is the default error message when an application is missing. If
    (as I presume) you are not using Windows XP then you need to download and
    install either WinZip or one of the similar freebie programs that are
    around.

    HTH
    Rifleman, Jan 28, 2004

  3. larry

    Harrison Guest

    Download WinZip or similar utility and use it.

    Harrison, Jan 28, 2004
  4. larry

    °Mike° Guest

    Install Power Archiver.
    http://woundedmoon.org/win32/powerarc611.html

    Last freeware version:
    http://woundedmoon.org/win32/powerarc611.exe

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:32:37 GMT, in
    <FuRRb.242$>
    larry scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 28, 2004
  5. larry

    larry Guest

    Thanks group...
    I went to winzip, I hope that is correct, and downloaded their evaluation
    unzipper..
    At first I thought I was thought things were somewhat overkill but I soon
    got what I was looking for...I got my file unzipped.
    Thanks again..
    Larry

    larry, Jan 28, 2004
  6. larry

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:32:37 GMT, "larry" <> wrote:

    >First I should admit that I have not unzipped a zip file in years....mainly
    >because I am overly concerned that it may infect my computer...
    >
    >Very recently, however, I needed some information which came to me in a zip
    >file...I put the file in it's own folder and double clicked on it....My
    >computer quickly came back with a notification that I needed a file called
    >program.exe....I checked my computer using... find ...and found a file
    >called program.exe....
    >I got the two files under the same folder but my computer is still asking
    >for the file....
    >I guess if have two questions...
    >What is the purpose of this program.exe and
    >Why did my program.exe not provide the necessary assistance?....
    >Larry

    Just for you info...if ALL you do is unzip a file which contains a
    virus you will NOT get that virus. In order for the virus to do it's
    job you would either have to click on it OR extract it to a location
    (like C:\) where it could do it's job without your help. You can open
    the zip and sit there looking at it for days and it would jump out and
    put kooties on you wienie.

    John
    LO&MsLO, Jan 29, 2004