    Anyway, any comments or suggestions will be very appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Daniel, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Daniel

    Guest

    "Daniel" <dcxdanATyahooDOTcom> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have a friend who is having a hard time unzipping files that she gets in
    >her e-mail. I believe she uses Gmail, and when the files are received she
    >clicks on them only to have the program PKunzip start to run, and it
    >demands that she pay the registration fee to work on unzipping the file.
    >Supposedly she never install that program, but it keeps popping up. She is
    >running Windows XP - 2, so I told her I never have had problems unzipping
    >files in my Window XP. I also told her the unzip program in Windows works
    >fine for me. I am I telling her the truth?

    Personally I don't like a zip file to be treated like a folder,
    and have disabled that feature. (and I use Winzip)

    But your friend should uninstall winzip. Then
    Start | Run <type in>
    regsvr32 zipfldr.dll
    <enter>

    To enable the XP zip file handling.
    --
    The Top Ten Astronomy Images of 2006
    http://tinyurl.com/y5nnks

    , Dec 30, 2006

  3. Daniel

    beenthere Guest

    "Daniel" <dcxdanATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a friend who is having a hard time unzipping files that she gets in
    > her e-mail. I believe she uses Gmail, and when the files are received she
    > clicks on them only to have the program PKunzip start to run, and it
    > demands that she pay the registration fee to work on unzipping the file.
    > Supposedly she never install that program, but it keeps popping up. She is
    > running Windows XP - 2, so I told her I never have had problems unzipping
    > files in my Window XP. I also told her the unzip program in Windows works
    > fine for me. I am I telling her the truth?
    >
    > Anyway, any comments or suggestions will be very appreciated.

    Add\Remove programs, and get rid of PKunzip.
    Rt\click on a package and in the context menu see if
    Windows can unzip it.

    beenthere, Dec 30, 2006
  4. Daniel

    Tester Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:29:35 -0500, "Daniel" <dcxdanATyahooDOTcom>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have a friend who is having a hard time unzipping files that she gets in
    >her e-mail. I believe she uses Gmail, and when the files are received she
    >clicks on them only to have the program PKunzip start to run, and it
    >demands that she pay the registration fee to work on unzipping the file.
    >Supposedly she never install that program, but it keeps popping up. She is
    >running Windows XP - 2, so I told her I never have had problems unzipping
    >files in my Window XP. I also told her the unzip program in Windows works
    >fine for me. I am I telling her the truth?
    >
    >Anyway, any comments or suggestions will be very appreciated.

    Your friend could try the following to get zip files to always open up
    in tthe default Windows manner (as a folder in Explorer)

    Open up a folder with a zip file in it in Explorer.

    Right click on the zip file \
    \
    Choose "choose program" first

    When the choose program box comes up, choose Compressed (zipped)
    folders and be sure to check the box that says that these files should
    always be handled this way.

    Tbere are some free third party zip/unzip programs including
    tugzip.com, info-zip.org, and 7-zip.org. Some of these handle other
    formats beside zip.They all use info-zip.org's code for
    zipping/unzipping.

    Tester, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Daniel

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have a friend who is having a hard time unzipping files that she gets in
    >her e-mail. I believe she uses Gmail, and when the files are received she
    >clicks on them only to have the program PKunzip start to run, and it
    >demands that she pay the registration fee to work on unzipping the file.

    Last I checked, there's a option on WinZip to allow you to continue
    unregistered.

    >Supposedly she never install that program, but it keeps popping up. She is
    >running Windows XP - 2, so I told her I never have had problems unzipping
    >files in my Window XP. I also told her the unzip program in Windows works
    >fine for me. I am I telling her the truth?

    As others have said, obviously she DID install PkZip. Have her
    uninstall it.

    Evan Platt, Dec 30, 2006
  6. Daniel

    Vanguard Guest

    > Hi,
    > I have a friend who is having a hard time unzipping files that she
    > gets in her e-mail. I believe she uses Gmail, and when the files are
    > received she clicks on them only to have the program PKunzip start to
    > run, and it demands that she pay the registration fee to work on
    > unzipping the file. Supposedly she never install that program, but it
    > keeps popping up.

    Yeah, right. What really happened is that she tried to steal the
    software by trying to use it beyond its trial period and she is too
    cheap to pay for the software that she wants to continue to steal or too
    lazy to bother searching for a free replacement.

    > She is running Windows XP - 2, so I told her I never have had problems
    > unzipping files in my Window XP.

    So what do YOU use to unzip .zip files? You have software that's paid
    for, you got freeware to do it, or you are using the zip support already
    included in Windows XP. Despite what she claims, she DID install PKzip
    so that application got associated with .zip files. If you install
    another .zip program then it will associate those files with that
    program.

    You could also have her simply go back to using the zip support already
    available in Windows XP. Have her run in a DOS shell:

    cd c:\windows\system32
    regsvr32.exe zipfldr.dll

    Go into Explorer under the Tools -> Folder Options menu, File Types tab,
    and check if .zip is associated with "Compressed ZIP Folder".

    > I also told her the unzip program in Windows works fine for me. I am I
    > telling her the truth?
    >
    > Anyway, any comments or suggestions will be very appreciated.

    Tell your girlfriend to stop trying to steal software. Once the trial
    period is up, she is expected to UNINSTALL the program! There are
    freeware alternatives, like 7-Zip (I had a paid WinZip but went to 7-Zip
    since I was unwilling to pay for upgrades with little added value but
    needed fixes to the old version that I had).

    Vanguard, Dec 30, 2006
  7. Daniel

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:29:35 -0500 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
    Yang then "Daniel" <dcxdanATyahooDOTcom> sent this :

    >Hi,
    >I have a friend who is having a hard time unzipping files that she gets in
    >her e-mail. I believe she uses Gmail, and when the files are received she
    >clicks on them only to have the program PKunzip start to run, and it
    >demands that she pay the registration fee to work on unzipping the file.
    >Supposedly she never install that program, but it keeps popping up. She is
    >running Windows XP - 2, so I told her I never have had problems unzipping
    >files in my Window XP. I also told her the unzip program in Windows works
    >fine for me. I am I telling her the truth?
    >
    >Anyway, any comments or suggestions will be very appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Dan

    Enter the following command in the Run box in the start menu.

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

    (Copy and paste that line above)

    3. Restart the Windows for change to take effect.

    Then install any free good zip program like,"FilZip",
    http://www.filzip.com/en/index.html

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,