    carbon-copy 18-55mm with roughly the same speed characteristics. Is
    is possible that these lenses, despite coming in different brands are
    all being made by the same Chinese factory?

    RichA, Dec 30, 2010

  2. RichA

    peter Guest

    On 12/30/2010 4:45 AM, RichA wrote:
    > That they must all be 18-55mm. Remember the halcyon days when Nikon
    > produced lenses like the 18-70mm? All kit lenses now seem to be
    > carbon-copy 18-55mm with roughly the same speed characteristics. Is
    > is possible that these lenses, despite coming in different brands are
    > all being made by the same Chinese factory?

    Your point in complaining about something you will never buy?

    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+d300s&N=0&InitialSearch=yes>

    Does "all" have a different definition in Canada, than in the USA?

    Also see the definitions of possible and probable.:

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 30, 2010

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Dec 30, 6:00 am, peter <> wrote:
    > On 12/30/2010 4:45 AM, RichA wrote:
    >
    > > That they must all be 18-55mm.  Remember the halcyon days when Nikon
    > > produced lenses like the 18-70mm?  All kit lenses now seem to be
    > > carbon-copy 18-55mm with roughly the same speed characteristics.  Is
    > > is possible that these lenses, despite coming in different brands are
    > > all being made by the same Chinese factory?

    > Your point in complaining about something you will never buy?
    >
    > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+d300s&N=0&InitialSearc...>

    What is the point of the link, to show you can buy a D300s with an
    18-200mm? Hardly a kit lens.
    I've seen (once) a D300 coupled with the 80-400mm. Is that a kit lens
    too? If you look at British sources, they often couple cameras with
    non-kit lenses as combos, but that does not make the lens a kit lens.

    RichA, Dec 30, 2010
  4. RichA

    peter Guest

    On 12/30/2010 5:01 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Dec 30, 6:00 am, peter<> wrote:
    >> On 12/30/2010 4:45 AM, RichA wrote:
    >>
    >>> That they must all be 18-55mm. Remember the halcyon days when Nikon
    >>> produced lenses like the 18-70mm? All kit lenses now seem to be
    >>> carbon-copy 18-55mm with roughly the same speed characteristics. Is
    >>> is possible that these lenses, despite coming in different brands are
    >>> all being made by the same Chinese factory?

    >> Your point in complaining about something you will never buy?
    >>
    >> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+d300s&N=0&InitialSearc...>
    >>

    > What is the point of the link, to show you can buy a D300s with an
    > 18-200mm? Hardly a kit lens.
    > I've seen (once) a D300 coupled with the 80-400mm. Is that a kit lens
    > too? If you look at British sources, they often couple cameras with
    > non-kit lenses as combos, but that does not make the lens a kit lens.

    Another question for you not to answer.
    Define: Kit lens

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 31, 2010
  5. RichA

    peter Guest

    On 12/30/2010 11:59 PM, Rich wrote:
    > peter<> wrote in

    >>> What is the point of the link, to show you can buy a D300s with an
    >>> 18-200mm? Hardly a kit lens.
    >>> I've seen (once) a D300 coupled with the 80-400mm. Is that a kit
    >>> lens too? If you look at British sources, they often couple cameras
    >>> with non-kit lenses as combos, but that does not make the lens a kit
    >>> lens.
    >>>

    >> Another question for you not to answer.
    >> Define: Kit lens
    >>

    > A lens considered the normal standard lens packaged with non-pro or semi-
    > pro DSLRs. Right now, for APS cameras that is the 18-55 for most. Even
    > Sony went back to it from the original horrible 18-70 they once had.

    Very good.
    Is there a difference between "all" and "most"
    Now let's see what other people, more knowledgeable than I, have to say:

    A kit lens is a "starter" lens which can be sold with an
    interchangeable-lens camera such as a single-lens reflex camera. The kit
    consists of the camera body, the lens, and various accessories usually
    necessary to get started in SLR photography. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_lens

    A lens (or lenses) offered as a starter kit with a DSLR camera. Buyers
    can purchase only the camera body, but kit lenses are an inexpensive
    starting point for a new DSLR owner. These lenses are rarely excellent,
    even though they will satisfy many users
    www.digicamhelp.com/glossary/dlsr-terminology/

    Note that neither of the above definitions contains the exclusions you
    mentioned in prior responses.

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 31, 2010
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:01:41 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Dec 30, 6:00 am, peter <> wrote:
    : >
    :
    : What is the point of the link, to show you can buy a D300s with an
    : 18-200mm? Hardly a kit lens.
    : I've seen (once) a D300 coupled with the 80-400mm. Is that a kit lens
    : too? If you look at British sources, they often couple cameras with
    : non-kit lenses as combos, but that does not make the lens a kit lens.

    Shame on you, Peter, for not apprehending that subtle point. A kit lens is a
    kit lens because it's a kit lens, not because it's offered as part of a "kit".

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 31, 2010
  7. RichA

    peter Guest

    On 12/31/2010 9:55 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:01:41 -0800 (PST), RichA<> wrote:
    > : On Dec 30, 6:00 am, peter<> wrote:
    > :> On 12/30/2010 4:45 AM, RichA wrote:
    > :>
    > :> > That they must all be 18-55mm. Remember the halcyon days when Nikon
    > :> > produced lenses like the 18-70mm? All kit lenses now seem to be
    > :> > carbon-copy 18-55mm with roughly the same speed characteristics. Is
    > :> > is possible that these lenses, despite coming in different brands are
    > :> > all being made by the same Chinese factory?
    > :>
    > :> Your point in complaining about something you will never buy?
    > :>
    > :> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+d300s&N=0&InitialSearc...>
    > :
    > : What is the point of the link, to show you can buy a D300s with an
    > : 18-200mm? Hardly a kit lens.
    > : I've seen (once) a D300 coupled with the 80-400mm. Is that a kit lens
    > : too? If you look at British sources, they often couple cameras with
    > : non-kit lenses as combos, but that does not make the lens a kit lens.
    >
    > Shame on you, Peter, for not apprehending that subtle point. A kit lens is a
    > kit lens because it's a kit lens, not because it's offered as part of a "kit".

    Sorry I forgot. I'm hanging my head in shame.

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 31, 2010
  8. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > For example B&H offers two D300s "kits" one which seems to have true
    > "kit" pricing and one which doesn't. The D300s + 16-85mm VR @ $2053
    > saves $151 over the seperate cost,

    thus enticing you to buy there ...

    > whereas a D300s + 18-200mm VRII kit
    > @ $2540.99 is $340 more than if bought as seperate body & lens for a
    > total of $2208?

    It's a tax on the math challenged. Fair enough. Someone has
    to pay for the $151 ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 6, 2011
  9. RichA

    Darkside Guest

    In article <>, Wolfgang
    Weisselberg <> writes
    >Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> For example B&H offers two D300s "kits" one which seems to have true
    >> "kit" pricing and one which doesn't. The D300s + 16-85mm VR @ $2053
    >> saves $151 over the seperate cost,

    >thus enticing you to buy there ...
    >
    >> whereas a D300s + 18-200mm VRII kit
    >> @ $2540.99 is $340 more than if bought as seperate body & lens for a
    >> total of $2208?

    >It's a tax on the math challenged. Fair enough. Someone has
    >to pay for the $151 ...

    On a UK dealer's site a Canon kit cost £40 more than if you'd bought the
    camera and the lens separately from the same site. I assume the kit is
    packed as such by Canon and the dealers add their markup. I don't
    suppose they noticed the anomaly. It's up to buyers to check!
    --
    Sue ]:(:)

    Darkside, Jan 7, 2011
  10. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...

    > In article <>, Wolfgang
    > Weisselberg <> writes
    > >Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> For example B&H offers two D300s "kits" one which seems to have true
    > >> "kit" pricing and one which doesn't. The D300s + 16-85mm VR @ $2053
    > >> saves $151 over the seperate cost,

    > >thus enticing you to buy there ...
    > >
    > >> whereas a D300s + 18-200mm VRII kit
    > >> @ $2540.99 is $340 more than if bought as seperate body & lens for a
    > >> total of $2208?

    > >It's a tax on the math challenged. Fair enough. Someone has
    > >to pay for the $151 ...
    > >

    > On a UK dealer's site a Canon kit cost £40 more than if you'd bought the
    > camera and the lens separately from the same site. I assume the kit is
    > packed as such by Canon and the dealers add their markup. I don't
    > suppose they noticed the anomaly. It's up to buyers to check!

    You might want to look more closely at the B&H price on the D300s + 18-
    200mm. It says "suggested retail price" and "out of stock". When they
    have stock then you'll likely see the B&H price, which is almost always
    well below suggested retail.

    J. Clarke, Jan 7, 2011