unwanted system restarts

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by richie2k5, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. richie2k5

    richie2k5 Guest

    :( I'm currently studying for my A+, but can't figure out my problem:

    i shut down my PC, normally through my Windows XP Pro operating
    system. my PC will then shut down all progarms and save settings. it
    then will display the shutting down windows message. i will hear and
    see my PC shut off. BUTT!!!!!, then in a split second the PC turns
    back on, for no apparent reason and windows will start back up
    normally. I tried the soft off power button ( holding it for 3 second
    then releasing it), and windows will shut down normally, then again
    same situation. it just restarts. To combat this i will have to
    switch off the power supply via it's cut off switch, when i hear the
    PC shut off.

    has this ever happen to anyone? I built this PC a year and half ago
    with a legit copy of XP pro, 8 case fans, an ATX mobo and 500 Watt
    PS.

    i'm on it every day averaging 2 to 10 hours. is this a sign that the
    power supply is about to go haywire. someone, anyone give me a
    clue!!!
    richie2k5, Apr 20, 2005

  2. richie2k5

    AG Guest

    "richie2k5" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > :( I'm currently studying for my A+, but can't figure out my problem:
    >
    > i shut down my PC, normally through my Windows XP Pro operating
    > system. my PC will then shut down all progarms and save settings. it
    > then will display the shutting down windows message. i will hear and
    > see my PC shut off. BUTT!!!!!, then in a split second the PC turns
    > back on, for no apparent reason and windows will start back up
    > normally. I tried the soft off power button ( holding it for 3 second
    > then releasing it), and windows will shut down normally, then again
    > same situation. it just restarts. To combat this i will have to
    > switch off the power supply via it's cut off switch, when i hear the
    > PC shut off.
    >
    > has this ever happen to anyone? I built this PC a year and half ago
    > with a legit copy of XP pro, 8 case fans, an ATX mobo and 500 Watt
    > PS.
    >
    > i'm on it every day averaging 2 to 10 hours. is this a sign that the
    > power supply is about to go haywire. someone, anyone give me a
    > clue!!!

    I'd check the BIOS and see if there is something in there like power on by
    the network card or modem that is set. You don't say if you are on a
    network or not but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

    AG
    AG, Apr 20, 2005

  3. richie2k5

    Mark Guest

    Try this site Richie
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

    Mark, Apr 20, 2005
  4. richie2k5

    Guest

    I had this problem once, it baffeled the heck out of me. Turned out my
    solution was a faulty logitech wireless keyboard/mouse driver..

    Remove the old driver, reinstall the newest driver from Logitechs web
    site. Good to Go.
    , Apr 22, 2005