    I also tried a program called StartupCop, and while it was helpful in some
    cases it seemingly cannot get rid of all these nuisance programs.

    Any other suggestions?
    Phil Smith, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Phil Smith

    beenthere Guest

    "Phil Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My computer has several programs that load automatically at startup. Icons
    > for these programs are displayed in the bar at the bottom of the screen,
    > on the right hand side. I would like to rid myself of several of these
    > programs, but have been unable to find a good way to do so.
    >
    > I have tried using the "Add or remove programs" function in the Control
    > Panel, but the programs do not seem to be listed there.
    >
    > I also tried a program called StartupCop, and while it was helpful in some
    > cases it seemingly cannot get rid of all these nuisance programs.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?

    Remove them from the Startup folder, then they won`t
    startup.

    bw..Oj
    beenthere, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Phil Smith

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:13:20 -0500, Phil Smith Has Frothed:

    > My computer has several programs that load automatically at startup. Icons
    > for these programs are displayed in the bar at the bottom of the screen, on
    > the right hand side. I would like to rid myself of several of these
    > programs, but have been unable to find a good way to do so.
    >
    > I have tried using the "Add or remove programs" function in the Control
    > Panel, but the programs do not seem to be listed there.
    >
    > I also tried a program called StartupCop, and while it was helpful in some
    > cases it seemingly cannot get rid of all these nuisance programs.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?

    Start ~ Run ~ msconfig ~ Startup tab uncheck anything you don't want to
    start.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Dec 30, 2006
  4. Phil Smith

    Ed Guest

    Google Mike Lin startup.exe
    Ed, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Phil Smith

    larya Guest

    Greetings...
    I had much the same problem.. as so did my dad....
    My computer slowed down to the point where even the cursor was going
    across the screen slowing ....
    A friend of mine showed me how to get rid of the problem....
    Click on start....
    Click on programs...
    Click on startup....
    put your mouse of each title, under the startup program, and either use
    the delete function or simply each program under the startup title...
    or point and slide the tiles onto the desktop...
    As you do this, you will notice at that each of the titles, under the
    startup, will disappear.. one at a time...
    Eventually the startup label will have nothing under it...
    >From what I have experienced, you will notice that your computer will

    operated faster.. and will also boot faster....

    larya, Dec 30, 2006
  6. Phil Smith

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Dec 31, 2006
  7. Phil Smith

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Dec 31, 2006
  8. Phil Smith

    Phil Smith Guest

    Thanks for all these very helpful ideas.

    Phil Smith, Dec 31, 2006
  9. Phil Smith

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:28:00 -0500, Phil Smith wrote:

    >Thanks for all these very helpful ideas.

    Then there is,

    a) Learn to skim through subject lines. Same question asked no so long
    ago 25 threads earlier, not much to go back and look.

    From: "Just Me" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: removing start programs
    Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:09:48 GMT

    Your post
    Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:13:20 -0500

    b) Try searching
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/

    >"Phil Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> My computer has several programs that load automatically at startup. Icons
    >> for these programs are displayed in the bar at the bottom of the screen,
    >> on the right hand side. I would like to rid myself of several of these
    >> programs, but have been unable to find a good way to do so.
    >>
    >> I have tried using the "Add or remove programs" function in the Control
    >> Panel, but the programs do not seem to be listed there.

    Me
    why?, Dec 31, 2006
  10. Phil Smith

    MM Lee Guest

    Another way,

    if you can work out which file does what, is to run msconfig at the run
    prompt. This MS program is in all vers of windows from 98SE onwards, inc XP

    Mel

    MM Lee, Jan 9, 2007
  11. MM Lee wrote:

    > Another way,
    >
    > if you can work out which file does what, is to run msconfig at the
    > run prompt. This MS program is in all vers of windows from 98SE
    > onwards, inc XP

    I can't seem to find it on my Win2K box... <g>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 9, 2007
  12. Phil Smith

    AlanG Guest

    http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm
    AlanG, Jan 9, 2007
  13. AlanG wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 05:28:44 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>MM Lee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Another way,
    >>>
    >>> if you can work out which file does what, is to run msconfig at the
    >>> run prompt. This MS program is in all vers of windows from 98SE
    >>> onwards, inc XP

    >> I can't seem to find it on my Win2K box... <g>

    > http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

    Hehe, yes I know. You did see the <g> there? 'Twas just a note to MM
    Lee that the program is not included with a standard Windows 2000.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 9, 2007
  14. Phil Smith

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 04:55:45 GMT, MM Lee wrote:

    >Another way,

    Really? My commantes were about searching posts to find that the same
    topic was already covered earlier.

    Nothing to do with the actual unwanted program list.

    Maybe you meant to tell the OP about msconfig,

    >if you can work out which file does what, is to run msconfig at the run
    >prompt. This MS program is in all vers of windows from 98SE onwards, inc XP

    Not so, Windows 2000 is after 98SE and it isn't there. IIRC the XP
    version runs on 2000.

    >Mel

    >> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:28:00 -0500, Phil Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> >Thanks for all these very helpful ideas.

    >> Then there is,
    >>
    >> a) Learn to skim through subject lines. Same question asked no so long
    >> ago 25 threads earlier, not much to go back and look.
    >>
    >> From: "Just Me" <>
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Subject: removing start programs
    >> Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:09:48 GMT

    <snip>

    why?, Jan 9, 2007
  15. Phil Smith

    AlanG Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:34:17 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >AlanG wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 05:28:44 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I can't seem to find it on my Win2K box... <g>

    >> http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

    >Hehe, yes I know. You did see the <g> there?

    Have now

    > 'Twas just a note to MM
    >Lee that the program is not included with a standard Windows 2000.

    Or even in Pro.
    Always wondered why since Pro sold to be used as a server in many
    cases. Should have been chock full of tools to make things easier.
    AlanG, Jan 9, 2007
  16. AlanG wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:34:17 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>AlanG wrote:

    >>> http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

    >> Hehe, yes I know. You did see the <g> there?

    > Have now

    :)

    >> 'Twas just a note to MM Lee that the program is not included with a
    >> standard Windows 2000.

    > Or even in Pro.

    There was no "Home" version of Windows 2000. "Pro" was the 'least' or
    'standard' version, and designed for most normal small business and home
    users. I feel that Windows 2000 was/is the most stable Windows version
    ever issued.

    > Always wondered why since Pro sold to be used as a server in many
    > cases. Should have been chock full of tools to make things easier.

    There were "Server" versions of Windows 2000. I only have Pro, and
    perhaps there are more tools in the other versions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000

    "Windows 2000 was made available in four editions: Professional, Server,
    Advanced Server, and Datacenter Server. Additionally, Microsoft offered
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server Limited Edition, which was released in 2001
    and runs on 64-bit Intel Itanium microprocessors."

    We had Advanced Server at my last place of employment prior to
    retirement. The network IT folks liked it a lot. (I was in the
    programming department.)

    Though NT 4.0 was reasonably good, Win2K was a lot better. <g>
    It is, and will be, my last Microsoft OS. I only keep it because I've
    not been able to get MS Visual FoxPro to work reliably under Wine or
    VMWare with Linux.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 9, 2007
  17. Phil Smith

    AlanG Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:45:23 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >AlanG wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:34:17 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Hehe, yes I know. You did see the <g> there?

    >> Have now

    >:)
    >
    >>> 'Twas just a note to MM Lee that the program is not included with a
    >>> standard Windows 2000.

    >> Or even in Pro.

    >There was no "Home" version of Windows 2000. "Pro" was the 'least' or
    >'standard' version, and designed for most normal small business and home
    >users. I feel that Windows 2000 was/is the most stable Windows version
    >ever issued.
    >
    >> Always wondered why since Pro sold to be used as a server in many
    >> cases. Should have been chock full of tools to make things easier.

    >There were "Server" versions of Windows 2000. I only have Pro, and
    >perhaps there are more tools in the other versions.
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000
    >
    >"Windows 2000 was made available in four editions: Professional, Server,
    >Advanced Server, and Datacenter Server. Additionally, Microsoft offered
    >Windows 2000 Advanced Server Limited Edition, which was released in 2001
    >and runs on 64-bit Intel Itanium microprocessors."

    It was sold to us as a server. Never actually used it which is why I
    have it now.

    >We had Advanced Server at my last place of employment prior to
    >retirement. The network IT folks liked it a lot. (I was in the
    >programming department.)
    >
    >Though NT 4.0 was reasonably good, Win2K was a lot better. <g>
    >It is, and will be, my last Microsoft OS. I only keep it because I've
    >not been able to get MS Visual FoxPro to work reliably under Wine or
    >VMWare with Linux.

    I find it very stable. However I retire next year and will most likely
    migrate to linux. Don't need Microsoft except for work and I will not
    need it again
    AlanG, Jan 9, 2007
  18. Phil Smith

    Tester Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:27:36 GMT, "beenthere" <>
    wrote:

    >Remove them from the Startup folder, then they won`t
    >startup.

    Most programs which autostart in XP don't start in the Startup folder.

    Most start in the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    Tester, Jan 10, 2007
  19. Phil Smith

    wrote:

    >Remove them from the Startup folder, then they won`t
    >startup.

    Oops - I hit the send button before I was finished.

    Most programs which autostart in XP don't start in the Startup folder.

    Most start in the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    A program can also start up in an automatic service or a few other
    places but those are the common ones..

    You can use msconfig to change your start up programs

    MSConfig is included in compressed form on Windows CD's but it is
    never installed. In most cases, the following will install it.

    Do the following:

    Start Button - Run - cmd

    In cmd, type the following:

    c:
    cd \I386
    expand -r msconfig.*
    move config.exe \windows
    move config.chm \windows
    exit

    You can now run it with start button-run-msconfig. The start program
    setuo is on the last tab.

    Tester, Jan 10, 2007